Refund

1493068342482577577504.jpg

He's not gripping at all with his toes. That is abnormal, if you get one, don't get one from a store unless you can speak directly to the breeder.

Larger back ankles are normal, (this is an adult male veiled with normal larger back ankles http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/simca357/media/IMG_0603_zpstslvudfp.jpg.html) look at the first picture of OP chameleon's back ankles, there is a lot of swelling and slight buckling in the back part of the ankle facing us. Then is you look at the last one you see it follows into the front of the foot slightly. My panther has this (at a slightly worse amount) I have seen many veileds and other chameleons with this who were later diagnosed with MBD. The slight swelling is usually a sign of the beginnings of MBD.

As far as the 4 open feet, it's usually a resting position for the feet if one or just two are not gripping the branch while they are sitting on them. However all four not gripping when he is obviously uncomfortable is not normal in my opinion especially with the slight swelling and small bend in his ankle (i guess it would be his toes). Because this is not a normal thing for something that uses gripping to walk, it actually can cause pressure sores. If the OP did some close ups of the back feet I wouldn't be surprised to see swelling and bending.
Larger back ankles are normal, (this is an adult male veiled with normal larger back ankles http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/simca357/media/IMG_0603_zpstslvudfp.jpg.html) look at the first picture of OP chameleon's back ankles, there is a lot of swelling and slight buckling in the back part of the ankle facing us. Then is you look at the last one you see it follows into the front of the foot slightly. My panther has this (at a slightly worse amount) I have seen many veileds and other chameleons with this who were later diagnosed with MBD. The slight swelling is usually a sign of the beginnings of MBD.

As far as the 4 open feet, it's usually a resting position for the feet if one or just two are not gripping the branch while they are sitting on them. However all four not gripping when he is obviously uncomfortable is not normal in my opinion especially with the slight swelling and small bend in his ankle (i guess it would be his toes). Because this is not a normal thing for something that uses gripping to walk, it actually can cause pressure sores. If the OP did some close ups of the back feet I wouldn't be surprised to see swelling and bending.

And in my opinion you should do a couple months more of research before buying another, and then save with your vet fund.

He shows some classic signs, lack of activity (which without the other signs wouldn't point to MBD), the way all 4 feet are open (usually just one or two at the time is normal but all four is odd), the swelling in his back ankles, and the fact that he came from petsmart isn't actually surprising that he has it.
^^Good to know.

Themail last picture put up shows the swelling may might have been exaggerated in the first picturns because of the angle and blurriness. He's still not gripping like I would expect. I would say a vet check up might help make you decide.

Themail last picture put up shows the swelling may might have been exaggerated in the first picturns because of the angle and blurriness. He's still not gripping like I would expect. I would say a vet check up might help make you decide.
That's what I was thinking because they seem normal in comparison to others that's why I tried posting better pics (sorry) but the gripping part is concerning ima keep the lil homie

The gripping may just be a slight calcium deficiency without any real bone issues. Get the supplementing down right and see if you can get him outside for a an hour or two a week.

Just letting your know that your plant that's missing and ID is Fatsia japonica. It's related to Hedera ivy. It's safe, unless he begins eating tons of it.

As far as the chameleon itself, I don't think the beginnings of MBD automatically require liquid calcium. I think proper supplementation and natural sunlight can do wonders in the early stages, though a vet check is not a bad idea. At this stage, administering oral calcium is going to stress and already stressed animal and add another level of complications to an inexperienced keeper.
Chameleons aren't incredibly active. Some more than other, but all of them are prone to sitting still for hours at a time and basking, blending in to their surroundings, and staying out of sight of predators and prey. Veileds are generally fairly active, but it's relative to what your definition of active is.
Keep doing research, get him outside for some natural sunlight, perhaps use a Mercury Vapor bulb on him for a couple hours a day. Beef up your gutload, get him some calcium with D3 once every other week and some Repashy vitaplus every other week. Once he shows improvement, cancel the D3 and just stick to the Repashy every other week and plain calcium every other day. There's nothing about this animal that can't be turned around with some good husbandry, in my opinion.

Maybe I am blind, but I don't see anything wrong with him, especially in the last picture. I would not get rid of him. Just my opinion.
I'm not and I didn't... It's just it's my 1st cham and It was already seeming like a lot lol but ima commit and make sure he stays healthy

Yeah the learning curve is hardcore with chams, I thought I did enough research(I did something like 8 months) and I still felt I was drowning in info and things I didn't know when I first got them. I still often feel like I am drowning and can't get a foot hold. So much new stuff is being learned about them. It's amazing. Once you get regular care down, trust me it won't be nearly as terrifying until something different crops up...

Yeah the learning curve is hardcore with chams, I thought I did enough research(I did something like 8 months) and I still felt I was drowning in info and things I didn't know when I first got them. I still often feel like I am drowning and can't get a foot hold. So much new stuff is being learned about them. It's amazing. Once you get regular care down, trust me it won't be nearly as terrifying until something different crops up...
Yeah I bet because so far nothings really been wrong but everything seems to scare me anyways. I'll post more pics of him in the near future to see how he's been

Trust me the paranoia and terror is normal... it doesn't go away just gets less extreme. I still have paranoia... I am pretty sure all the keepers here do. No matter how many chameleons you have in your life time, it's a constant thing of anxiety and love.

If he does end up having MBD it is very minor. Like the others said just get the supplementation down and bring him outside. That will do wonders for him. Also add more plants in.

Back
Top Bottom