Red runners!

Brentholey

Established Member
So I purchased 200/2-week and 200/3-week old crickets from rainbow mealworms. I also ordered 50 buffalo beetles because I was curious about them. They sent me red runners instead of buffalo beetles! Are these invasive? Are they worth keeping in a bin? They are small and I can just see how they might be a problem.
image.jpg

They can't climb, idk why people are so afraid of them. They are also excellent feeders! Lobsters are the trickiest to keep in. Red runners need a moisture source to hatch their ooths. A while back a friend had a bin full of them fall and scatter all over his basement, they all eventually died off. Not something that you'd want to happen obviously, but fear is a little overblown IMO.

@jamest0o0 If I were to keep them how do you catch them with out losing them? And I don’t think they will stay in the Cham cage I have a small crack in the door
image.jpg

Ugh! I hate red runners! I say freeze them.

And what is up with rainbow? I just got a big order from them, and they forgot two of the feeders I ordered. I'm done with them, this is the third order of mine that they've screwed up! I also asked for hold at post office,and even emailed them about it, and it was still delivered to my house. I'm so fed up. I really needed my feeders today!

I saw some positive and negative feed back about rainbow mealworms but I decided to try them to see what I thought... they sent roaches instead of buffalo beetles and their crickets seemed to be sized all over the place but they were all alive a 3 day ship. So idk.. good and bad... I called them, they said they would send the beetles out ASAP. But also when I told them what happened the first thing the lady said was “we would not have done that” lol i was like lady listen I am sitting here with some red runner roaches in a plastic tub you sent me!! And I don’t know what to do with them

I saw some positive and negative feed back about rainbow mealworms but I decided to try them to see what I thought... they sent roaches instead of buffalo beetles and their crickets seemed to be sized all over the place but they were all alive a 3 day ship. So idk.. good and bad... I called them, they said they would send the beetles out ASAP. But also when I told them what happened the first thing the lady said was “we would not have done that” lol i was like lady listen I am sitting here with some red runner roaches in a plastic tub you sent me!! And I don’t know what to do with them

Wow - I wonder if they have added some new employees who are gumming up the works. I've always had great experiences with them and their customer service has been top notch. I'm a firm believer that EVERYONE makes mistakes, but how a company owns up to and corrects their mistakes is what defines them!

Its all in the name... They are red and they RUN!!! o_O:p:p

Actually - now that you mention it, I wonder if I'm thinking of lobsters and not red runners? Although I could have sworn I've heard red runners are escapees, too.

Red runners do carry the stigma a bit, I just think after keeping them that it's not as big a deal and they make good feeders. JMO though, freezing is the ethical way to kill roaches.

Lobsters are wayyy more difficult to control than the runners from my experience. The nymphs climb, are fast, and can fit through screen holes! You need a vaseline layer and mesh over the screen to stop them.

@jamest0o0 If I were to keep them how do you catch them with out losing them? And I don’t think they will stay in the Cham cage I have a small crack in the doorView attachment 244492

I'd just dump some in a deli cup and feed from that or let the cham eat one at a time. My cham is outside atm so I don't worry about escapees, most of his food is either things he catches out there or larger roaches that i hand feed

So I decided to not take the chance, I did not kill them though. I called the local pet store in my area and asked if they were willing to take them. They accepted them. I was hoping for some store credit or something but nope. Lol oh well not my problem anymore! I live in an apartment and I could just see how if they got loose it might become a huge problem.

Red runners are fast hence the name. They can climb screen and plastic surfaces pretty easily. If I didn't feed them by hand I simply pulled all put 2 legs off of them and put them in the feeder run cups. This stopped them from easily escaping the run cup. They have excessively long legs.

I’m having bad luck with these orders too! The roaches were the first incident today. I also ordered some dry good from another supplier. An Arcadia 6%, 50’ roll of vine, a heating mat, a thermostat, and a R.O. Unit. Everything came but my R.O. Unit. That was my favorite part:(

I was thinking about doing this but I had appointments this evening, and then back to the work schedule for the week. I just wouldn’t have the time to get to the post office. I wish they would’ve came a couple hours earlier they would’ve been yours!

They'd probably live if you just leave them in the packaging until you could send lol. Don't mean to bother ya about it... I'd throw you something for them or trade some other roaches/supers/isopods. I only have a small colony so that's why I'd be so happy to take them lol

Back
Top Bottom