Red runners!

@jamest0o0 No bother at all.. but I’m sorry to say that I already dropped them at the pet store on my way to my appointment this evening. If anything like this should happen I’ll check with you first... Lol just order something really cheap from rainbow mealworms maybe they’ll send you some by accident:)

I currently have a gasket bin of red runner nymphs. They were pretty easy to set up and hatch once they had the ooths. I will say in my experience of having them I can’t keep them in any feeder run and they can get through small cracks in the cage. I’m hoping the most recent escapees were eaten by the outside geckos and frogs lol. But they are excellent feeders. They are the only roach my Cham will eat currently. Very soft and easy to chew lol

I saw some positive and negative feed back about rainbow mealworms but I decided to try them to see what I thought... they sent roaches instead of buffalo beetles and their crickets seemed to be sized all over the place but they were all alive a 3 day ship. So idk.. good and bad... I called them, they said they would send the beetles out ASAP. But also when I told them what happened the first thing the lady said was “we would not have done that” lol i was like lady listen I am sitting here with some red runner roaches in a plastic tub you sent me!! And I don’t know what to do with them

I also contacted them also and they are sending me my missing feeders but I'll be without for another three days which sucks for my animals. Planning to try a new vendor next month or go back to ordering from Josh's frogs. Sigh.

Well I just got my “rush” order of crickets from Rainbow... since the ones Inhave are too small for the babies. All 1000 are dead and insanely moist and clumped together. Theyve been in transit for less than 48 hrs and theyre a disgusting mass of funk. Pretty disappointed - not sure whats going on with them. Lets see how they fix it.

Update: they responded quickly and sending new ones. Whew

Last edited:
Ugh! I'm expecting my replacement order tomorrow, I hope they come in better than yours as in not dead!
I noticed too late that they only sent me 20 of the 50 Dubia I ordered too.

I'm going to try breeding crickets again.

@Rst_Cham I’m expecting my replacement of the buffalos tomorrow also. And since all I can get Opie to eat is crickets I’m going to try to breed them as well. Have you been successful at it in the past?

@Rst_Cham I’m expecting my replacement of the buffalos tomorrow also. And since all I can get Opie to eat is crickets I’m going to try to breed them as well. Have you been successful at it in the past?
I have been successful twice so far. I did better the first time then the second. I'm going to try a different method this time I think, going to try damp vermiculite instead of soil.

What else have you tried getting your guy to eat?

For what it’s worth I made an order from dubiaroaches.com and everything came healthy I ordered silk worms, horned worms, bsfl, and Dubias. they were on time and did well. I’m pretty sure they don’t offer crickets yet though.... all for nothing though Opie won’t touch them. I’ve learned my lesson buying feeders without knowing if he likes them or not. Now I’m just feeding bugs for no reason. I’m pretty sure the crickets leg movements is what drives him crazy.

Actually, if that's him in your profile pic, he's probably too young
Yeah that’s him in the pic he’s between 2-3 months I’ve only had him a week. I’m not giving up on it though, I have the Dubias going still so I hope he’ll change his mind eventually. I kinda enjoy the feeders too. Being able to have a successful environment for something is interesting & rewarding in some way.

Yeah that’s him in the pic he’s between 2-3 months I’ve only had him a week. I’m not giving up on it though, I have the Dubias going still so I hope he’ll change his mind eventually. I kinda enjoy the feeders too. Being able to have a successful environment for something is interesting & rewarding in some way.
Oh, he's so young! Yeah, right now just keep offering variety and as much food as he'll eat. Eventually he'll start eating the other feeders. Roaches seem to be hit or miss for some chams. At nine months or older if he's still refusing them then you could then try to force the issue and only offer roaches every day until he starts eating them.

I totally agree, I like keeping the feeders too. I raise silkworms, they're my favorite bug to breed and my guy likes eating them. I also have three different roach colonies.

I saw the crickets laying eggs last night already, here's hoping I can get them to hatch!

I tried to replace crickets with red runners a while back but I was not satisfied with the results. They have a higher tendency to hide under things and avoid capture than crickets and sometimes would develop to too large of a size before they were caught by the lizards. Disposing of things like newspapers became a headache because there would be roaches hiding inside the cages. The red runners also had some stowaway lobster roaches in the culture as I noticed a few large climbing roaches while cleaning my original red runner bin. The did reproduce well and produced a good range of sizes on the plus side. The can be sorted with the bucket method so it was handy to be able to have a variety of sizes of insects available at all times. However, in the end I prefered to stick with dubia for large lizards and crickets for small lizards (plus a variety of other insects mixed in)

Back
Top Bottom