red gunk

naich

about 1 month ago the leaves in my adult panthers cage started collecting this weird red slim like jello. It happened on two diffrent plants also. The i got on my cham. And i moistens when the misters go off and hardern when the dont. I tryed scrathing it off very gently but only pick off the tinest bit. Its not affecting him at al. what is it?

o and the water im using is tap from a sink.....been that way for a year and a half...and now just now im having this problem.

I used to be an active member but got very bussy, so i can assure you everything is right in the cage.....just this wierd red slime?

maybe its sperm plugs he wiped off on the plants???

Do you allow the tap water to sit in an open container for at least 24hours before using it?

Maybe it's the New Jersey water, those jersey shore kids seem to have an orange tint to them as well.:D

Sounds like the red slime algae that plagues fish tanks. Maybe it's mold/fungus:confused: If I read your post correctly you said it's on your chameleon now too? What is the ventilation like in the room the cage is in? Does the cage have a chance to dry out in between mistings?

not sap....ficus and umbrella and phothos....i thinks its the water....leting the water sit out for 34 hours does nothing exept evaporate just the h2o and leave and even higher concentration of minerals in it.......its in a room. with 4 by 4 by 2 screen cage.lllreptiles. and ventilation is fine.

"Its them, start digging...not my blood, not my blood!" ~war of the worlds

300px-WOTWRedWeed.jpg

:D sorry couldn't resist. definately sounds like some kind of bacteria or other pollutant,
red/brown algae perhaps.

hahaha love the picture...yup its a mistking...so what do i do? my chams drinking this!

not sap....ficus and umbrella and phothos....i thinks its the water....leting the water sit out for 34 hours does nothing exept evaporate just the h2o and leave and even higher concentration of minerals in it.......its in a room. with 4 by 4 by 2 screen cage.lllreptiles. and ventilation is fine.

It removes the chlorine from your tap water, which reptiles are sensitive to. Probably not your problem here, but it does actually do something.

I'm not 100% sure I believe in the "let the water sit a day and it's dechlorinated" theory...I mean, don't they sell dechlor tablets for fish? Why would they do that if "just set it aside for 24 hours" worked? (or, why would fish people pay for something they could achieve by just setting the water on a shelf for a day?)

However, even if that were true, the chlorine would have acted against any mold so....yeah, not the problem.

Would it be possible to get a picture of the red slime?

Meanwhile, I found this article that might be informative even if it isn't your exact situation.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/diatomandslimemicroalgae/a/redslimealgae.htm

City water can be treated with EITHER chlorine OR chloramines. Letting water sit out to age will remove chlorine (as it outgases off over time), but this won't work for chloramines. That would take a chemical water treatment to work. I don't think either will cause a red stain.

What about iron in your water? Do you notice iron stains on your sinks/tub or other places where tap water evaporates?

I really want to see a picture...is it slime? Is it a stain? I have very different ideas for both those words and the only way to know which is right is to see a picture.

I'm not 100% sure I believe in the "let the water sit a day and it's dechlorinated" theory...I mean, don't they sell dechlor tablets for fish? Why would they do that if "just set it aside for 24 hours" worked? (or, why would fish people pay for something they could achieve by just setting the water on a shelf for a day?)

Setting aside 100 gallons worth of water isn't always the easiest method. If you had a 10g tank, it would probably be an easier solution.

about 1 month ago the leaves in my adult panthers cage started collecting this weird red slim like jello. It happened on two diffrent plants also. The i got on my cham. And i moistens when the misters go off and hardern when the dont. I tryed scrathing it off very gently but only pick off the tinest bit. Its not affecting him at al. what is it?

o and the water im using is tap from a sink.....been that way for a year and a half...and now just now im having this problem.

I used to be an active member but got very bussy, so i can assure you everything is right in the cage.....just this wierd red slime?

probably algae.
Check your water tank and your misting system as well.
You might need to clean the water supply bucket at least once a week.
A picture would be nice.

Letting it sit...

... gives the Chlorine time to separate from the water molecules. Its not a strong chemical bond, and it breaks down over time.

Try mixing water and bleach. If you put this on something right away it will clean or bleach whatever you applied it to. If you let it sit for a while, the chlorine will break down and the cleaner will lose its effectiveness.

I have no idea what is on your stuff. :eek: I would dismantle the whole thing, clean everything, put in new plants, and try again. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom