recommended reads

jcal

ok, now that i am diving into the chameleon world i find myself wanting all the bits of information i can gather. what books do you recommend reading that you have found helpful?

second, what's a good read that you have recently read when you arent in cham mood?

I've collected some links to stuff I've found interesting

General care / Newbie Info
More in-depth Info / Vets / Health

The books I bought before getting a chameleon:
Chameleons: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual. Bartlett and Bartlett. Mine is 1995; I think there's a more recent edition.
Care and Breeding of Chameleons - Panther, Jackson's, Veiled and Parson's Chameleons. de Vosjoli and Ferguson, eds. 1995.

Since getting chameleons:
The Chameleon Handbook. LeBerre, Bartlett and Bartlett. 2000.
These first three are all broad, introductory, get-started kinds of books. Also:
Chameleons in the Garden. Lovein. 2007. Lots and lots of photos of wild Jackson's chameleons living on the Big Island of Hawai'i.
Stump-tailed Chameleons - Miniature Dragons of the Rainforest. Necas and Schmidt. 2004.
Chameleons of Africa - An Atlas. Tilbury. 2010.
Stump-tailed deals only (and thoroughly) with pygmies, including natural history as well as husbandry. Chameleons of Africa is mostly natural history, and not really how-to-keep-them. Very thorough (but excludes Madagascar species); not cheap.
And I like Lizards: Windows to the Evolution of Diversity. Pianka and Vitt. 2003, which is a good overall book about All Things Lizard.

Non-chameleon - I always like Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (kind of fantasy - there are dragons and magic - very funny, with very likeable characters).

I think just spending endless hours on the forum is the best education out there! You cannot beat experience!!!!

The books I bought before getting a chameleon:
Chameleons: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual. Bartlett and Bartlett. Mine is 1995; I think there's a more recent edition.
^this one has a lot of inaccurate information if you really read it! Good for some basics though.
Care and Breeding of Chameleons - Panther, Jackson's, Veiled and Parson's Chameleons. de Vosjoli and Ferguson, eds. 1995.
^Like this one a lot

I just got "Chameleons, Nature's Hidden Jewels" by Petr Necas and highly recommend it too! Great info, tons of pics and info on many of the species. Jmo :)

ill have to check out that book. i went to barnes and noble but their selection was...blah. ill have to check borders or order from the net.

Back
Top Bottom