Recommendations on sleep

dectr6

Has anyone ever read of proper amount of time for chams sleep? Just wondering. I turn the lights on mine about 7 am and turn off and cover about 10 pm. He never sleeps or naps in the day. Seems like a long time for him to be awake. Wondering if I should follow the seasons. Lights out aroun 6pm and on at 7am. David

Has anyone ever read of proper amount of time for chams sleep? Just wondering. I turn the lights on mine about 7 am and turn off and cover about 10 pm. He never sleeps or naps in the day. Seems like a long time for him to be awake. Wondering if I should follow the seasons. Lights out aroun 6pm and on at 7am. David

Hi David,

I can't comment on research, but I can comment on nature ;) Personally, I follow natural day length. I keep Cy's lights on 12/12 then change it to 10/14 as the days get shorter around this time of year. Then I change it back the same in late winter spring. Some keepers maintain 12/12 year round just to make it easy. I do it incrementally over about a 2 month period in both directions.

So just think of what they are exposed to in nature - I don't think there is a 15 hours of daylight anywhere that chams are native. :)

give him 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night.
Chameleon is diurnal lizard meaning that it moves about during the day and sleep during the night,

The fact that you cham does not sleep during the day is a good sign.
Please be aware. If you see your cham sleeping or napping during the day, it means you need to go to the vet ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom