Recently purchased a female Panther and has small lumps under her arms

rotadennis

Your Chameleon - Female Panther chameleon just got her last firday
  • Handling - First time since we got her.
  • Feeding - Crickets, Horned worms, Dubai roaches
  • Supplements - Repashy Calcium Plus with Vitamin and calcium suppliments. Every other Feeding
  • Watering - Just been misting every few hours by a spray bottle until I get more fittings for my mister to spray her cage along with our other chams cage. (should arrive tomorrow) and will be on a timer.
  • Fecal Description -Pretty normal
  • History - Purchased from Colorlicious Chameleons to breed with our current male panther

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 18x18x36
  • Lighting - 5.0 UVB with a 65watt basking bulb. On 12 hour timer
  • Temperature - 85 basking around 70 ambient,
  • Humidity - around 60-70%
  • Plants - All fake, except for our umbrella plant, multiple levels of climbing areas with bamboo and fake vines. Has plenty of space and levels to choose from for temperature.
  • Placement - Living room
  • Location - Georgia
Okay We recently purchased a female ambilobe panther that is 7 months old. We purchased her to breed with our male ambilobe panther (who is perfectly healthy) we got her last Friday and today was the first day we took her out of the cage to examine her. (we wanted to not stress her out) and when we got her she had a missing scale on her head which was okay with us and we figured with some TLC it'd heal up after a few sheds, but when we took her out today we noticed she had a small lump under each armpit on her front legs.

Attachments

• bump1.jpg
    bump1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 231
  • bump2.jpg
    bump2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 178
  • bump3.jpg
    bump3.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 198
  • mising scale.jpg
    mising scale.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 179
Some females show edema under there but that doesn't look like the usual edema presentation to me? Maybe someone else who know for sure

There are definite signs of slight edema around her neck-that isn't uncommon, and not one of her major concerns to worry about.There appears to be a slight bend in her fright arm also?--and the black around her neck is only in one of your pics and only around her neck area? The scars on her head look to me like they were caused from a bite-likely another chameleon. But as far as the points under her arms? My educated guess is her rib bones (bent, broken, floating, or straightened instead of curved as they should normally be). She could be wild caught, or more likely a case of improper husbandry. I don't know who the person you got her from (or potentially where they got her from or how they raised her). So this is purely speculation; but my best guess is she was kept with a higher than optimal concentration of other chameleons for to long of time period while she was raised and not given the best of husbandry. She does look fairly healthy in most aspects, so give her proper lighting, vitamins (some pre-formed vitamin-A for the edema [a few dusted crickets with pre-formed Vit-A should get rid of the edema in a couple days--if it is not caused my too much vitamin supplementation] and food/water should help you. Captive bred chameleons are becoming more popular and many people may think of it as potentially easy money and thus, along without proper husbandry, issues like this occur.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm in the process of trying to get a refund from her, but she said she wont and I have to file a claim through paypal. She called me a liar

A real bad shipping experience could also do a lot of harm! I am so sorry for both you and the chameleon! I think the life of this little lady is about to get real sweet! Please do not breed her! She is not in good shape and breeding her would be sooo hard on her little body!

A real bad shipping experience could also do a lot of harm! I am so sorry for both you and the chameleon! I think the life of this little lady is about to get real sweet! Please do not breed her! She is not in good shape and breeding her would be sooo hard on her little body!
I agree and that's why we wanted a refund. Since she most likely couldn't be bred and for the very least not for awhile.

There is no bend in her right arm from what I can tell. And these are not good pictures to tell with for bends. I am not sure about broken ribs for the bumps under he arms. It depends on if they are hard or completely soft. If it were rib issues I have a feeling she would be showing more pain issues. Even if she had been born with it or it had technically "healed". She would not be able to move correctly in my opinion. To get a good idea of whether she has bends in her arms I would take full body and close up pics of her legs from the side.

Yeah, we reached out to the person we bought her from and we shipped her back today, so hopefully she'll follow through with the refund. I just think she had to many underlying issues to be able to breed within the next few months. I did not have the time nor the resources to try and get her back to full health. It was an unfortunate ordeal, but hopefully the person we returned her to will treat all the concerns she was sent to us with. As for the bends in her arm I believe it was just our pictures and angles. She seemed to move just find and didn't show any signs of MBD. Those lumps on her arms were just a huge concern with us and they looked to big to be edemas so maybe some sort of cysts or what not?. Either way she wasn't in the health standards and breeding readiness that we were led to believe she was before the purchase. She was described completely different and the pictures that we received originally didn't show any of these. Hopefully she turns out alright in the end and leads a nice healthy life.

I wouldn't have bred her likely at all, depending on what it ended up being. Just because she could have been genetically prone to something or it could have been more of an issue than we thought, either way she will make a good pet likely once she is back in health.

Back
Top Bottom