Rebels home

vgaines

Does Rebels cage look like it has enough coverage and walkways? I just redid his cage this weekend and added the hanging pathos. To me the bottom looks a little bare but he is never down there unless hes sneaking a drink from a small puddle from the dripper. ( he was drinking from a waterfall when I purchased him from a pet store and I cant seem to break his habit of drinking from puddles) I have several drain holes and water doesn't stay puddled long.

1091829_4677013058044_756130954_o.jpg

Does Rebels cage look like it has enough coverage and walkways? I just redid his cage this weekend and added the hanging pathos. To me the bottom looks a little bare but he is never down there unless hes sneaking a drink from a small puddle from the dripper. ( he was drinking from a waterfall when I purchased him from a pet store and I cant seem to break his habit of drinking from puddles) I have several drain holes and water doesn't stay puddled long.

Your Cham isn't "breaking" his habit because basically has nothing to drink from. You need to add a mature umbrella plant that has more then 10 leaves and to add paper towels on the ground to soak up the puddles. Or make a proper drainage system. It's surprising that the possible bacteria breeding in his drinking puddles hasn't caused an illness.

Last edited:

Your Cham isn't "breaking" his habit because basically has nothing to drink from. You need to add a mature umbrella plant that has more then 10 leaves and to add paper towels on the ground to soak up the puddles. Or make a proper drainage system. It's surprising that the possible bacteria breeding in his drinking puddles hasn't caused an illness.

Maybe the picture isn't clear enough but the middle and top are packed with live plants. I have a hibiscus and a very large pothos hanging. There are way more than 10 leaves to drink from. He has a dripper (drips in two places..one a little slower than the other and both drip onto pothos leaves) going all day and I mist him several times a day for aprox. 4 minutes each time. I see him drink from the dripper and during misting every day so its not because he has nothing to drink from. My question was about the bottom of his cage. Like I stated in my post there are several (more than 5) drain holes and the water drains very quickly. You can watch the water drain out of the drain holes. The cage dries completely(except where the dripper drips) between mistings and is dry before lights out. If you read all of my posts I am very picky about how I do things for Rebel. :D

just an example.:cool:

Nice cage.. I will be building Rebel a big cage here soon. Still trying to decide if its gonna be all screen or have three sides glass. My AC is on all the time so the RH is super low in my apartment and I don't like the shower curtain draped on three sides. lol I realy like the double door idea...:cool:

I can see the picture clearly, there isn't enough in there. You need either a thicker plant or more branches and vines. Since he is drinking from the bottom you need to fix that issue. Put some sterile river rocks on the bottom to catch the water that does fall so there is no point in time where he can lap up anything from the ground.

I can see the picture clearly, there isn't enough in there. You need either a thicker plant or more branches and vines. Since he is drinking from the bottom you need to fix that issue. Put some sterile river rocks on the bottom to catch the water that does fall so there is no point in time where he can lap up anything from the ground.

I don't think you can see the back half of the cage because of the glare. The top half of the cage if full. There are at least 7 long vines hanging off of the pothos that I have wrapped around his large grape vine tree and his bendable vine that goes all around his cage. I had another hibiscus tree but I removed it because he was having trouble walking around because his casque was getting in the way when he would try to move between the branches. That is why I removed one and added a huge pothos. The only bare area in his cage is the very bottom.
He doesn't always drink from the bottom. I have seen him do it twice. I will make the drain holes bigger but the water drains into a 5 gal. bucket under the cage just fine. I have a large bag of really large stones that I have for putting in my potted plants. Never thought of putting them on the bottom. I'm not a fan of him being on the bottom period so I will put the stones there and hope that it keeps him from going down there. :)

I think that's a good idea, just take them out every 5 days and soak them in a sink full of water with a few drops of nolvasan to kill any bacteria.

It's obviously best to not stuff the cage full of plants, but maybe just thicken it up.

My setup is probably not the best out there but here is what my youngest chams enclosure looks like

https://www.chameleonforums.com/lokis-set-up-115903/

Back
Top Bottom