Reasons why real chams need real plants!

look what i found....

check out what i found on craiglist. Note the 6' fence it is placed in front of. Now that is a ficus tree. Its got some great "character". I'll prune it back real nice and use the cuttings to start a bunch of new smaller trees.

Attachments

• big ficus tree.jpg
    big ficus tree.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 518
Plants!

Many times, people wonder what plants are best for chameleons. Plants play a significant role in healthy chameleon husbandry. So what IS best and why?

Artificial plants can look nice and never die. They are often made of wire, plastic, and sometimes silk. Artificial plants however are not only inferior to real plants in just about every way but can also be somewhat dangerous if ingested after being consumed by omnivorous chameleons. For this reason I believe only live plants should be used with chameleons.

There are several other reasons live plants should be used instead of artificial plants such as increased humidity, better water retention on the surface, and nutrition.

When I first started keeping chameleons in the early 1990's, I bought some inexpensive fake plants that had flowers and looked really nice. I careful placed them around my habitat and stood back to enjoy the visual experience. I thought it looked great. However I started to realize the shortcomings once real plants were introduced. My Veileds, Carpets and Panthers were attempting to eat the fake flowers constantly. I removed the fake plants and started experimenting with various non toxic plants.

I've tried Pothos, various Ficus, various Hibiscus, various Scheflera and Baby tears. Most were in a pot that was placed into the enclosure. They all looked good, offered higher humidity and food with micronutrients that you wont get from a multivitamin.

If you have a Panther,Veiled or Carpets then I highly recommend at least one baby tears plant. Baby tears are a native plant of Madagascar and will be devoured by healthy chams. This is a must have plant and food source. The interesting thing to note is that there is no pitch or plant resin with these unlike ficus trees. Picture of Baby tears in a Magnatural plant holder.
14monthfemalePerreti_zpsfb5f1e67.jpg

Babytears1_zpsd1de1da2.jpg

Ficus trees are great for many reasons. They are hardy, grow fast and have nice structural support and texture for the chameleons to get a good grip.
Over the years however I moved away from Ficus because I noticed eye problems being more prevalent than without. My theory was juvenile and adults would eat the starts off of new leaves that were sprouting and get the white pitch in or on the eye and the eye problems would begin. As a result My Ficus are now just house plants.
ficus_zpsff0181a9.jpg

Hibiscus are some of the most beautiful of flowers and will catch anyones attention with their brilliant colors. The woody stems and edible flowers would seem to be a good choice but unfortunately for chameleon owners they are a short lived due to inadequate lighting and care. If you have an outdoor enclosure in Hawaii you are good to go. Otherwise there are better options for indoor Chameleon care.
Hibiscus_zps90e2ce4c.jpg

Pothos variety plants are some of the best chameleon plants for indoor enclosures. They grow quickly and tolerate a wide variety of conditions. Chameleons just LOVE to climb and drink off of these plants. They can even be grown without soil. Every chameleon enclosure should have at least one. Of all the plants discussed this particular type will hold water on the leaves the longest for the chameleons to drink and not rot the plant.
Pothos_zpsfa44361a.jpg

Epiphytes and airplants are also really great plants for chameleon enclosures. These offer a soilless option where plants are hung versus in pots. There is no soil for chameleons to try and eat. The hanging root systems offer great climbing opportunities and the blossoms will be the envy of everyone that see's your chameleon habitat. If you hang these plants or mount them on cork you almost cant over water them and orchids can be very hardy. With nothing on the ground in pots there is no mold issues from using too much water and cleaning is very easy.
Chameleonsandorchids_zps8f5a3b2b.jpg

Bloomingtallandsiaexoterra.jpg

BloomingChameleonHabitat.jpg

Triceroushabitat.jpg

EXOTERRACAMEROON_zpsccf8c0e7.jpg

CBmaleat8monthscopy_zps50c92d1d.jpg

Just some things to think about.

insane pics brother!

I bought mine week ago, it was really huge and cheap. I Will probably have to cut it and only use like one third of it to fit my pot. Its doing great, just sitting on a window ledge waiting to be used pretty soon when I am done with my enclosure. It was great tip, its going to keep the humidity really well just by seeing. In my country they sell it in any florist shop. :)

Looks like I'm buying some baby tears :)

Do I need to worry about the soil in the pot of baby tears?? Do I need to cover the soil?

Didn't realise you could put orchids in! I'm just redoing my enclosure, I might get a nice big one for a centre piece.

You dont need to worry about covering the soil, because nothing can get to it when it grows right I guess.

Sorry for the quality and darkness:

http://imgur.com/3zjcgqR

WOW that is an awesome little plant. puts mine to complete shame, and i think i do pretty well with plants. I got mine out of canada thru Amazon. Its doing ok, but I don't think i have the care quite right so far.

Would love to find a magnatural plant holder.... Googled them, but can't seem to find a place that sells them. Anyone know what the secret website is? ;)

You can also use wire to hold the orchid to a piece of cork and use 2 part epoxy to hold magnets to the back. I just tried that last weekend, and it worked great. Just have to use earth magnets, or really strong magnets. I bought some at harbor freight. :)

Ok I like everything I have seen but I only have a pather for 4 days I have a 5.0 bulb and a 75 watt basking bulb and I have a screen cage 24×16×30 what live plants could I put in also I have a auto misting system

Schefflera, Ficus, or Pothos are always great options. Make sure that the temp for basking is alright w/ the 75 watter. You don't want to cook a youngster.

Look for plants under the safe for chameleons list that are shade tolerant, or find a species you like and go to your local garden centre and ask if they have a indoor cultivar of that species. Also if it says it is dog/kid safe it is probably chameleon safe.

Try some of these
Pothos
Devils Ivy
Jasmine
Orchids like the Moth Orchid(lots of color)- will thrive being held somewhere in the middle of the cage allowing the roots to elongate, they can grow without soil and the roots will take moisute up from the air and moisture.
Coleous
Zinnia (color) might work as it loves heat
Bromeliads (color) - just dont over water this one
Dracaena (color)
Bamboo
spider plant
marigold (color)
Jade

Back
Top Bottom