Really small

LittleApollo

I have a 10 month old sambava female and she is only around 3 inches long and only ways 20 grams, she eats around 8 - 10 large crickets a day. I know she doesn't have any viruses but i have no idea why she is so small.:confused:

While I can't say why your female is so small, I can say that she is not the only midget cham.
We even have a member here who takes in tiny chams...you can look her up, her name is Laurie.

Harry

Harry blames me for everything. It is true I have taken in several small chams but it sounds like you are doing well with your little one. Good luck.

Hopefully she's just small and nothings wrong

But the thing i dont get is that the breeder who sold me her said she was one of biggest ones

Hopefully she's just small and nothings wrong

But the thing i dont get is that the breeder who sold me her said she was one of biggest ones

In that case you might want to get some blood work done.
Some females may grow out of it in time, but some have problems that could at least be identified and maybe addressed.

Harry

We know the breeder said how old she is but how long have you had her? Has she grown at all? Try to get some pictures of her by a ruler.

If it will make you feel better I took in one at 9 months weighting 5 grams. She is now a normal sized adult, almost a year later.

Well, I've had her since she was 3 months old and she was actually a gift from my girlfriend. She was supposed to be male, but I ended up with a fiesty little (really little) girl. *My girlfriend is actually Pssh on here, and oddly enough she has a small male who was supposed to be female. I know she doesn't have parasites, and everything seems to check out. I'll go ahead and fill out the how to ask for help form.

Chameleon info:
Your Chameleon - female panther chameleon of the sambava locale, she is 10 months old, I've had her for seven months.
Handling - generally only to take her outside or for free range time. *She's really fiesty.
Feeding - crickets, dubia, supers, less often I feed silkies, flies, hornworms, mealworms, and she's eaten a few spiders outside. (too fast to stop her.) she used to only eat 5-6 large crickets a day, but recently she has started to eat 10 or so. *She eats the equivalent of that amount when she is fed other items. *I pretty much free feed feeders in two kinds of feeding tubs. *One is just an open tub that she is able to get to with a branch, and another is those milk carton feeders with the screen. I gut load the crickets, dubia, and supers with collards, mustard greens, dandelions, dark leafy lettuces, apples, carrots, orange, and sometime my girlfriend gives me a blend of veggies that she makes. *It usually contains any one or two of the following: endive, mustard greens, escarole, dandelion greens, and/or collards. *Plus one or two of the following: squash, a dark green lettuce, carrots, yams, sweet potatoes, celery leaves, or sweet peppers. *Plus a fruit: apple, orange, papaya, etc. *It also has bee pollen, a type of nut, some grains/oats, and sometimes some seeds.*
Supplements - repcal supplements. *Calcium without d3, every feeding. *Calcium with d3 twice a month (when she doesn't go outside.) and the multivitamin twice a month. *I lightly dust the crickets and dubia before being fed.
Watering - I mist and use a dripper several times a week. *I mist for several minutes three or so times a day. *Warm filtered water. *Sometimes I put her in the shower (they [my jacksons included] seem to like it and drink a lot)
Fecal Description - Normal brown feces, white urates. She goes every day. *No parasites.
History - she was orginally housed in a 2x2x4 cage, but was switched to a 2x2x2 cage. *She has recently gained two grams! She has gained a total of 10 grams since I got her. *Her head pads are nice and rounded, I'll try and get some pictures up by next weekend. *I have to wait for my girlfriend to bring her camera.*

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2 sides solid and solid floor, the rest is screen. 2x2x2
Lighting - reptisun 5.0, 24 inches long. And a normal incandscent house bulb for her basking area (it's either a 25 or 40 watt.)*
Temperature - ambient temp is usually from 70-75, and basking is around 80-83. House temp doesn't go below 65. Digital thermometer.
Humidity - humidity is usually around 40, then goes up to 90+% after misting and stays around 70% for a while. *I mist and use a dripper, I'm probably going to add a humidifier soon. *I use a digital hygrometer,
Plants - I'm using a pothos and a dwarf umbrella plant. Using river rocks to cover soil.*
Placement - she's in her own room. *I have recently had to lower her cage slightly, but am working on moving it above eye level soon. *No fans or vents, but I open the window sometimes so she gets some natural wind/sun.
Location - Norcal.*

Current Problem - she is super small despite eating fairly well and being otherwise healthy.*

Pictures: *
I don't have any on a ruler, but here are some recent ones.

DSC_0904.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

Here's an older picture of her on my girlfriends hand. *She is the same size now.
9d6bf01a.jpg

She may be small but she sure is lovely. If the breeder was wrong on the sex of both your and Pssh's chameleons I start to wonder. You having had her for 7 months makes me think she is just one that takes her own sweet time to grow up. She eats, drinks & poops like normal so I would just give her some time.

They came from two different breeders, though they both are small. Mines just growing a bit faster. I call her a little tiger because she gets those black bars but stays that nice orange color now. :) she sure bites like a tiger too.

maybe they're a new dwarf panther species:eek: lol prob not but thatd be sick. like a tiny little skittle:D

Actually there is a dwarf panther chameleon species, Furcifer cephalolepis. However, it doesn't really look like a panther chameleon (as far as colors).

From what I've seen, sambavas tend to be on the smaller size.

Here's a picture of her on a ruler so you can get an idea of her size. It looks like she has grown a little since that one on my girfriend's hand.

Maybe once she's bigger (supposing she gets bigger) if Kara and I breed them they will make a delayed growth type of Sambava? :)

DSC_1156.jpg

My Zina was very small the first few months I had her. She wasn't eating much at first, but she's gradually been eating more and now she's getting bigger. I haven't been home for three months, but my mom claims she is growing. I would imagine it's normal for them to be small sometimes. It just takes time.

Wow she's super pretty. Really really pretty.

I have a male Nosy Be that's the saaaaaame way and it's driving me up a wall! Except he's only 6 months old, so he does have time, but it makes no sense. He's grown nothing since I first got him. My other panther was smaller too and then he hit the 6 month mark and quickly got up to a normal size but still nothing with little Cobalt.

No parasites either, so I don't know what's up with him.

Olimpia, if it makes you feel better, my guy didn't grow til almost 8 months old I think? Anywho, he was less than twenty grams for a long time then he started growing. Now he's the same weight as (generally) a 6 month old even though he's almost a year old now. He's really getting some nice colors though. :)

Eris, the small female Cham above, is way prettier in person. I think she looks nicer than Hyperion. Orange is my favorite color and she like to be a nice range of oranges from the pastel shades all the way to a nice brick-adobe color. :) She is extremely pretty.

The Pssh's story is a commun story with small chameleons. From what i have read, sometimes some random chameleon, maybe one or two out of a clutch can remain small, and will start growing normally a few months later. And as far as i know, all of them became of normal size.

Also, about Sambavas, they are one of the biggest Furcifer Pardalis, and they tend to grow (in size and in color) for a longer period. So i wouldn't worry at all! Anyway, she is gorgeous and looks pretty healthy. In fact, if she was in Canada, i would love to have my male Sambava meet her! ;)

The scary part for me was having a female that tiny and being afraid that she will cycle a infertile clutch.:eek::eek: Your girl is beautiful and I think she will grow to a normal size with time.

Back
Top Bottom