Really hating my Schefflera Plants. ><

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well, I got a huge Schefflera Plant out ot Lowes a few weeks back and it seems to be dying so quick. I water it weekly, it doesn't get the plant lights, but the basking and UVB light from my chameleons. I have gone through numerous other Scheffler plants too.

What's wrong with them. They are pissing me off. :mad: stupid plant. dfhjalsfkjds

Well, I got a huge Schefflera Plant out ot Lowes a few weeks back and it seems to be dying so quick. I water it weekly, it doesn't get the plant lights, but the basking and UVB light from my chameleons. I have gone through numerous other Scheffler plants too.

What's wrong with them. They are pissing me off. :mad: stupid plant. dfhjalsfkjds

I have the opposite problem! So many people are complaining about Schefflera's but I love them and have had no problems what so ever and I seem to water all the time with my montane species. My problem is with my Ficus...couldn't keep a Hibiscus alive either. Just depends...I kill everything but my umbrella. No idea why!

I'm surprised my Ficus is still alive! :eek:

I water them correctly, but they don't get natural sunlight because when I do take my chameleons outside, its outside of their cages and no plants. ><

Pothos aren't too bad to me though. :p

i had a pretty thick umbrella "tree" (it was more of a bush) and it started just drooping down after no time, so i took it outside and its still like that. meh.

i got one of the gold capella variety from walmart and ive had that in the cage for awhile now and its actually grown a bit, looking good.

my pothos are doing well too.. hibiscus... deadzorz.

maybe we all just have some plants that work for us and some that just wont. maybe you could find a gold capella and try that out, its essentially the same thing but its got yellow on the leaves. don't know why mine has been doing better but it definitely has.

good luck.

Gold Capella is a Schefflera. I have that same one in my cage... Just the varigated version. It's dying like no other. Had a big bush and now its bare. I only needed that plant in it and now I need more. ><

i know that, but its a different color and im pretty sure i read it requires more light (i know it doesnt make sense, but its working for me) idk then. bleh.

I have the same issue with the Scheffleras, but not the other acceptable plants. I think it may have something to do with the drainage, so I plan to try again and add even more sand to the customized soil mix.

I'm going to try to replant mine and get growth lights.

as for the Capella's and Scheffleras being the same.

Schefflera Arboricola comes in varigated and just green.

Golden Capella is the varigated version of the Schefflera Arboricola.

Nothing much different than the coloring.

They drown super easily. Watering every week is too much for them. Mix sand with the dirt for better drainage. If the roots stay wet for any period of time they don't do well in my experience.

My Schefs are doing fine in my cage...its the darn Gnats that I am fighting now. I purchased natrual soil and put a good inch of sand on top of it and they came right back after I did a real good root cleaning...thinking about going all fake but I like the look of the cage now not to...

Thinking about trying to get a ficus and see what happens but around my area they are hard to come by for the proper measurements to put it in the cage. At least with the Schefs you can cut them down and thin them out.

Mehhrrr I said every week huh? djalskfj I hate today. No sleep. worked all day. I need a nap. LOL

I watered last week I believe after I got back from Wisconsin. They where in need of it, or I give them water when they look thirsty. My ficus doesn't need much water so I stay away from it. c:

How much are you watering it when you are watering it?

They drown super easily. Watering every week is too much for them. Mix sand with the dirt for better drainage. If the roots stay wet for any period of time they don't do well in my experience.

I think once a week is good for scheffleras. I do once a week with mine and they thrive. I also give showers on my scheffleras, usually once a week too, for 30 or so minutes, so they get watered twice a week with me.

LPR08

Gold Capella is a Schefflera. I have that same one in my cage... Just the varigated version. It's dying like no other. Had a big bush and now its bare. I only needed that plant in it and now I need more. ><

Check the roots and how wet the bottom of the pot is. Constant water saturation suffocates roots, root rot and fungi will kill the plant. You will need to speed up soil drainage with a layer of pebbles in the bottom of the pot, perlite below the soil surface, more drain holes, and keeping the pot saucer emptied. Does the plant keep its leaves at the top only? If so, it's because the rest of the plant may not be getting enough overall light. It's trying to conserve energy by only putting out leaves where they get light. A regular tube fluorescent hanging vertically on one side of the cage will help a lot. I just use one of my "spent" ReptiSuns until it burns out completely.

My Schef's are doing amazing under 100watt Zoo Med lights and Exo Terra 5.0ReptiGlow lamps. Automatic mister from Mist King goes on four times a day at 5 minute intervals. I can't stop this thing from growing....

Ive had to replace numerous schefflera in my fully planted exo terras. I use about 4 inches of top soil that they are planted in with plastic window screen below that and hydroton clay pebbles below for drainage. Ive had at least 5 rot away and I only water them once a week if that besides the daily misting but that isnt getting into the soil much, if at all.

I have good success with scheffs. I would strongly suggest installing a linear or CFL 6500K lamp along with the other lamps. I don't think people realize this... but if the plant is dying from lack of light, is the cham getting enough light? Sure the cham gets the UVB and heat, but is it 'bright enough'?

I would be adding more lights to the cage to keep the plant alive. It's good for the plant and the chameleon.

hibiscus can tolerate lots of water you should get one.

Yes they can, but they need lots of light.

If water is the issue... repot the plants in a soil that you have mixed with play sand and maybe even small peples. The water needs to drain out, and larger bits like peples and sand will help. I mist a LOT and do not have issues with my plants getting root rot.

When I pot a plant, I put a screen over the hole at the bottom of the pot to keep the dirt in, then I put in some rocks, just a layer of them. Then in a bucket I mix up organic orchid mix with play sand and a bit of peet moss. Then I mist it well. You should see sand in the mix... if not, add more. I then put dirt into the pot to cover the rocks, then I pack it along the side of the pot and place the plant into the middle. Then I fill in with the dirt mixture and press the dirt into the roots. When you are repotting you should knock all of the dirt out of the roots.

Hope this helps!

Live Plants

:eek:

I gave up on live plants...I had the same problem, plus my chams loved to poop in them. I went with plastic and silks 2 years ago and I'm not pulling my hair out anymore over the dump plants. My cages are cleaner and look nice without a dying plant.

My hat is off to you guys who do well with live plants...

Thanks,
Nan

Back
Top Bottom