Really easy, relatively cheap fogger, come check it out!

MD19

So before you guys check out the pictures let me apologize for the room. It's a mess currently but I needed everything relatively close and didn't care to clean before taking the pictures because it was working so perfectly. After watching a few videos online I thought I'd try and make my own reptile fogger rather than purchase a pre-made one, similar to my screen enclosures. Well today I finally got around to it. I went to a local Walgreens and picked up a humidifier with a very specific rounded top. After that it was a quick trip to home depot for some tubing and splitters. The results are below.

As you can see, I have fog going strong in both enclosures without sacrificing much in terms of money or time. All in all this took me about ten minutes to set up and $50 to make. I could see this one humidifier easily supplying fog to at least two other cages as well (with a second splitter obviously). I bought some silicone to seal the tubing but I ended up just cutting out a piece of styrofoam that came to brace the humidifier in the package and once the tube was pushed through it made it's own air tight seal (well, fog tight). Hopefully this can help anyone out who has been looking for a cheaper, more effective fogger.

(Will take more pictures tonight since sunlight kind of obstructs the view)

As long as its kept clean, the humidifier should work well and not be dangerous to the chameleons.
I'm using mine just like yours, for 2 cages. It's pretty sweet but not really needed if msting enough. Have you misted the entire cage and then turned on the fogger? The fog seems to stay inside the cage and looks like how it does in the kids frog terrarium. pretty cool stuff

What kind of lizard is in that big cage? Also, it looks kind of bare in there...Just an observation.

As long as its kept clean, the humidifier should work well and not be dangerous to the chameleons.
I'm using mine just like yours, for 2 cages. It's pretty sweet but not really needed if msting enough. Have you misted the entire cage and then turned on the fogger? The fog seems to stay inside the cage and looks like how it does in the kids frog terrarium. pretty cool stuff

I mist pretty often but I wanted a fogger for when classes start. Definitely a cool addition as well.

What kind of lizard is in that big cage? Also, it looks kind of bare in there...Just an observation.
There are two mountain horned dragons in there. And yes, their cage is completely bare. I need to figure out a way to include a pool of water, a laying box and preferably a live plant inside so I'm mulling around ideas.

i had my water dragons in almost the same cage as you, and what ive done to accommodate the pool/laying bin/plants is you take plexi glass and line the bottom of the cage and the 4 walls, seal it with aquarium sealant, than put another piece of plexiglass down the middle, and then put another piece downt the middle of that so you have three compartments total. fill up one with whatever you use for the laying been(im not sure if you would want one of the smaller halves to be the laying bin or the big half; im not familiar with horned mountains so i dont know how much water they need) then fill up one of the smaller halves with potting soil and plant your plant in that, then fill up the last compartment with water. i can draw up some blueprints if you give me the dimensions, but its pretty self explanatory. not to expensive and gets the job done. Hope this helps :)

I think I am going to do this so buy the humidifier from wallgreens, I would like to do two cages so what is the splitter thing you used? Oh its a splitter hmm okay I think I can do this easily think I will got out and make it today!

I started out with the humidifier but I didn't like how it doesn't have a timer. This means it must stay in all day or u have to continuously turn it on an off. I did like the cool effect it put in the cage but in the end I just bought a MistKing for $100. This came with what I needed the timer and effective way of providing my Cham with water but I do miss the cool fogging effect. Kinda made it look like a jungle horror film hahahaha

i had my water dragons in almost the same cage as you, and what ive done to accommodate the pool/laying bin/plants is you take plexi glass and line the bottom of the cage and the 4 walls, seal it with aquarium sealant, than put another piece of plexiglass down the middle, and then put another piece downt the middle of that so you have three compartments total. fill up one with whatever you use for the laying been(im not sure if you would want one of the smaller halves to be the laying bin or the big half; im not familiar with horned mountains so i dont know how much water they need) then fill up one of the smaller halves with potting soil and plant your plant in that, then fill up the last compartment with water. i can draw up some blueprints if you give me the dimensions, but its pretty self explanatory. not to expensive and gets the job done. Hope this helps :)

This is awesome. Where did you get plexi? And I actually would be interested in blue prints if you didn't mind :D

I think I am going to do this so buy the humidifier from wallgreens, I would like to do two cages so what is the splitter thing you used? Oh its a splitter hmm okay I think I can do this easily think I will got out and make it today!

I picked it up from Home Depot for about 48 cents. It's just a T splitter that I made sure would fit into the tubing beforehand. Let me know how it goes :)

I started out with the humidifier but I didn't like how it doesn't have a timer. This means it must stay in all day or u have to continuously turn it on an off. I did like the cool effect it put in the cage but in the end I just bought a MistKing for $100. This came with what I needed the timer and effective way of providing my Cham with water but I do miss the cool fogging effect. Kinda made it look like a jungle horror film hahahaha

Definitely my favorite part haha.

I attempted this. According to the video, I already had the fogger, it was just sitting on the top of the cage fogging the entire thing, in and out.

I purchased; 3/4" adapter, High Pressure Rubber Hose(all they had), 10ft, with a 3/4" ID, bath & tub water sealer, that foam stuff. I shave off a little to get the adapter to squeeze in tightly. Caulked around the adapter. Let it dry, then foamed around and let it dry. It ran for some time, but now it wont go through the hose and the fog squeezes out of any crack possibly under the water tank that slides on.

Not sure what its doing, I pulled the hose out and its not clogged. The chute that the mist comes through is not clogged. Im lost

curious....has anyone considered cutting a hole in the top of the wayer tub to easily refill this humidifier? it is such a pain i the Butt to have the pull the tub out, turn over, unscrew, refill, then put back on....especially with the hose and stuff on it.

I thought about it yesterday, didnt do it, was wondering would it ruin the system? Is there some sort of waterflow that cant be met if the system has a hole in the tub

I attempted this. According to the video, I already had the fogger, it was just sitting on the top of the cage fogging the entire thing, in and out.

I purchased; 3/4" adapter, High Pressure Rubber Hose(all they had), 10ft, with a 3/4" ID, bath & tub water sealer, that foam stuff. I shave off a little to get the adapter to squeeze in tightly. Caulked around the adapter. Let it dry, then foamed around and let it dry. It ran for some time, but now it wont go through the hose and the fog squeezes out of any crack possibly under the water tank that slides on.

Not sure what its doing, I pulled the hose out and its not clogged. The chute that the mist comes through is not clogged. Im lost

Hm. I did things differently than the video and it worked just as well, if not better than I imagined. I bought a 3/4 inch adapter and cut off a piece of the tube to act as extra length. After sealing that with silicone and letting it dry for a few hours I took the T splitter and held the 3/4 inch pipe (which was siliconed in) with some pliers just to be sure it wouldn't rip out (it should bend, that's how it keeps it's seal). After that I just added the tubes. Here is a picture.

Everyone keep in mind when considering this cheap solution for a misting system. If u decide to not just buy a MistKing or whatever type of misting system then the humidifier must be on a cycle timer. They can not be left on for extended period of time because the fog/mist is so light the Cham can actually breath this in. This will cause water to build up in the lungs, this cause the affects of someone drounding. Also excess water in the lungs can lead to many other health issues like infection extc... The humidifier should not run to long periods of time but should run for a little bit then shut off then turn back on after everything has dried. The problem here is that these timers are not cheap. After u pay about $40 for the humidifier then add about another $40 for the timer u might as well just bought the MistKing for $110 including shipping. My Cham actually enjoys the mist and sits in it as he would run away for the cold fog from the humidifier. I am not trying to turn anyone away from the idea or put people down. It's just that I had started out being cheap and wasted money on a humidifier to then buy a MistKing shortly after. I wish I would have just nought the MistKing to start off with. It would have saved me more money in the long run!

Didnt really think about the health risks when doing this. I guess i should be glad that Waldo doesn't like the fog much and usually goes the other when it is running.

I have the aquazamp, it does a good job with humidity, but my enclosure is extremely hard to maintain decent humidity. 3 live plants, two sides covered with vinyl shower curtains, a dripper, aquazamp (two nozzles) and a cool mist humidifier. It hots 60% at misting time and drops to 39% afterwards.

I've got the humidifier only to keep the humidity at 40%, when humidity drops below 40, it runs...when it gets about 40, it shuts off.

Everyone keep in mind when considering this cheap solution for a misting system. If u decide to not just buy a MistKing or whatever type of misting system then the humidifier must be on a cycle timer. They can not be left on for extended period of time because the fog/mist is so light the Cham can actually breath this in. This will cause water to build up in the lungs, this cause the affects of someone drounding. Also excess water in the lungs can lead to many other health issues like infection extc... The humidifier should not run to long periods of time but should run for a little bit then shut off then turn back on after everything has dried. The problem here is that these timers are not cheap. After u pay about $40 for the humidifier then add about another $40 for the timer u might as well just bought the MistKing for $110 including shipping. My Cham actually enjoys the mist and sits in it as he would run away for the cold fog from the humidifier. I am not trying to turn anyone away from the idea or put people down. It's just that I had started out being cheap and wasted money on a humidifier to then buy a MistKing shortly after. I wish I would have just nought the MistKing to start off with. It would have saved me more money in the long run!

This was the most effective route for me because my animals thrive on humidity. Maybe down the line I'll invest in a mist king but my senegal's last urate's were a nice clean white so something's working :)

Didnt really think about the health risks when doing this. I guess i should be glad that Waldo doesn't like the fog much and usually goes the other when it is running.

I have the aquazamp, it does a good job with humidity, but my enclosure is extremely hard to maintain decent humidity. 3 live plants, two sides covered with vinyl shower curtains, a dripper, aquazamp (two nozzles) and a cool mist humidifier. It hots 60% at misting time and drops to 39% afterwards.

I've got the humidifier only to keep the humidity at 40%, when humidity drops below 40, it runs...when it gets about 40, it shuts off.

Live plants are another reason this system is good. It's hard to over/underdo watering when the fog is providing the moisture.

TIP: make sure you are cleaning your humidifiers filter more frequently if it is going right into the cage. Humidifiers can build up quite quick, and if the cham decides to bask in the fog, contaminated water is not good for breathing.

good work though, i wanted to this, but ended up just going with a pawnshop humidifer and the zoomed fogger

Back
Top Bottom