Ready To Lay Eggs?

Jordan S

image.jpg
image.jpg
I was observing scarlet for the past couple of minutes and she seems to be roaming around her cage more than she usually does, she went down to the bottom of her cage a few times also. I think she is too young to be laying eggs because I think that she is probably 4 1/2 months old? What are your guys' thoughts?

Put a a laying bin in her cage she is receptive and looking to party. Are you sure about her age? Has she been showing different brighter colors?

Yes I think that her age is about 4 1/2 months, she hasn't shown any bright receptive colors, just black spots over her green body. But she has been really active in her cage today. She still eats a lot and hasn't slowed down.
image.jpg

She doesn't look fat enough to be ready to lay eggs. But I would think at 4.5 months she would still be a lighter green. She's either not happy about somethng- have things changed in her cage-temps, humidity, lights?, or she's past her receptive period and is now nonreptive. Are you sure about her age? She looks older than 4.5 months.

4.5 Months is just my guess on her age since I've only seen her shed 4 times with me, I'm not sure if she shed once in the pet store or something.

she's definitely not 4.5 months then, a 4.5 month old baby would shed once a month at least plus her casque and coloring are far too advanced for that age. She looks more like 8 months at least. Which means you should reduce the basking temp to 83-85 degrees and the feedings should be much smaller and only every other day.

image.jpg
She does she'd once a month, her latest monthly shed has been at the 10th of this month. I don't think she passes 6-12 months since she's barley the size of my hand as seen on this photo:
image.jpeg

4 month Olds are much smaller than that and 6 months are usually smaller too. I would put her at least 8 months possibly more. She's close to adult size.

image.jpg
I never knew a female veiled could be so small :ROFLMAO:. Her head is barley very small so that's why I was wondering if she was still young. She has never showed receptive colors and she still eats about 5-6 insects a day. Should I remove her basking bulb now and replace it with a UVB bulb?

No don't remove her basking bulb, a lower wattage should be fine. She doesn't have a uvb?

Yes she has a a UVB bulb :ROFLMAO:. What wattage should I change her basking bulb to? She's my first female so I'm new to them. My male doesn't need a lot of work as they don't lay eggs :LOL:. She's very, very small so I don't really know her age and she's too fussy to measure at the moment.

It really depends on your temperature, I keep my females when I have them at a 60 watt, but it depends on how warm the basking temperature is. Do you have a digital probe? You want the highest it reaches to be 85.

image.jpg
So she's looking fatter now, are these receptive colors? I think she may be slowing down on eating as well.

Rolly Polly <3 She so fat. They aren't receptive colors and if she is getting ready to lay she shouldn't be showing them. Feeding her as many healthy items as you can. High calcium feeders, and dusted feeders. She needs help making those shells.

So if she's developing eggs, what should I do with her laying bin? Do I just leave her outside in the afternoon for some privacy when she's about to lay them? Who knew she was at the egg developing age already :p.
image.jpg

UPDATE: So does anyone have tips for a pregnant veiled chameleon? Her eggs are being fertilized right now by my big boy Steve. I have a laying bin. Do I just cover her cage with a blanket and leave her outside to lay in peace?

Back
Top Bottom