Reactions to Dewormer?

bhollowell

Hey guys,
As some of ya'll know recently my female ambilobe tested positive for coccidia. She's gotten her first set of medication and I'm noticing she is a little more lethargic and seems to be pretty grumpy. I'm wondering- do dewormer medications take a toll on these little guys' bodies? I had heard that before from somewhere and was just curious if anyone else had experience with them feeling under the weather. She's still eating and drinking regularly, just a LOT more pissy and she's been sleeping a little more.
Thanks

My boy was already quite sick by the time we got the diagnosis. They gave ponazuril. He got the first two doses 48 hours apart...

He was supposed to receive 2 more doses 2 weeks later but he did not make it that long. But like I said he was very sick with a high parasite load.

My understanding of the medicine is that it can make their appetite decrease but keeping them eating and drinking is very important. Making sure you have cleaned properly to avoid reinfection is a big part of actually getting rid of Coccidia permanently.

Oh my, she didn't show any poor health or behavior before the dosing. I'm sorry about losing your little guy. As for her enclosure I got a new one so that I could do a full clean and re-do of her old one.

Oh my, she didn't show any poor health or behavior before the dosing. I'm sorry about losing your little guy. As for her enclosure I got a new one so that I could do a full clean and re-do of her old one.
Thank you... It was when I was newer to the hobby and he came to me with it. It was quite sad...

So I would entice her with feeders she prefers. Just to keep her eating through the treatment. I would not add her to the new enclosure until she has gotten through the entire treatment and has had a clean fecal. I think it is like with any medicine. It can make them feel like crap but most pull through without issue.

Hey guys, so my female has pulled through so far. She's finished her coccidia meds but she's starting to present another issue. Her eyes are pretty rough and she tends to keep them closed a lot. Last week she was worse, but I started feeding her repti boost and she got a little more active. I think she may have a vitamin A deficiency that is causing this- a couple days after her repiboost her eyes improved some. I am planning on taking her back to the vet for a check up on the coccidia anyways so I will probably have them look at her eyes too. Any suggestions to get her to eat? I am really hoping that this isn't her slowly dying- any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ponazuril is diluted in oil (almond?) when it is compounded down from the horse dose and I found when I used it it affected appetite briefly during the days after dosing. They may just be full from all the fat they get with it.

Back
Top Bottom