Rate the enclosure

Somalol

Veiled Chameleon
Male
16 months~
Eats 8 BSFL a day (cupfed) supplemented with reptivite with d3 on the 1st and without d3 on the 15th of every month, nips at pothos now and then
Drinks well, white tipped feces
36"; L X 18"; W X 48"; H cage
All plants are real except a silk leaved vine in the back

Attachments

• 6A1E583F-9FF3-4B43-8050-4EA9125739A0.jpeg
    6A1E583F-9FF3-4B43-8050-4EA9125739A0.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 3105A599-0A9F-4BAC-A1C3-3D9F6DF2AFE3.jpeg
    3105A599-0A9F-4BAC-A1C3-3D9F6DF2AFE3.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 9A9C30A3-206D-4DAD-9101-55F4638872C3.jpeg
    9A9C30A3-206D-4DAD-9101-55F4638872C3.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 40
  • BE12483F-2D48-4A51-B5A0-EAC1D46B2DD3.jpeg
    BE12483F-2D48-4A51-B5A0-EAC1D46B2DD3.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 53
Might want to fill this out can see few things you need to fix. Makes alot easier if you fill out.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hi. :) Just from the info you’ve given me your pics I do see a few things that need to be changed. The most important is your uvb. I have to assume you’re using a screw in uvb bulb and unfortunately, those aren’t able to provide adequate uvb levels any farther away than 2-3”. The standard is a linear T5HO fixture with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%. Without adequate uvb, your chameleon is at risk for developing metabolic bone disease. Adding to that risk is you don’t mention using any calcium. The ReptiVite with D3 is perfect for using once every other week. However, additionally you should be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding. No need to use Reptivite without D3.
I’d suggest increasing the variety of feeders that you give. Bsfl are great but feeding only the one type insect isn’t terribly healthy to do. Plus, like us, chameleons enjoy having a variety of food offered. Attaching a couple of graphics for you. Additionally, you’ll need to feed your insect feeders well and keep them healthy so that they will be more nutritious. It’s usually best and easiest to just give the buggies bits of the produce that we eat. Avoid the various Fluker’s cubes and such.
The only other thing I have to suggest is to raise your enclosure off of the floor. Chameleons live in trees, so height is important for making them feel safe and stress free.
I hope I’ve been of some help. Do ask as many questions as you need. :)
65ACA795-5AC0-4E7B-91FC-0FEDC0EFF410.jpeg
85F587F8-EF6F-449E-89C7-3D56D62CF69B.jpeg

I would think twice about raising your enclosure off the floor. In the wild, chameleons aren't always very high off the ground. I spent 2 week in Madagascar and most the chams I saw were only about 3-6 feet off the ground. That's also a lot of work to raise it and a lot of weight, so it could be unstable.

I take my chams out side all the time. When not in cages outside I always put them low in tree and they always end up about 14 15 feet up in tree. I have panthers one veiled and a parson. Now my veiled is a runner so he goes in cage outside. But he is so friendly just a runner

Attachments

• 20220604_160521.jpg
    20220604_160521.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 37
I take my chams out side all the time. When not in cages outside I always put them low in tree and they always end up about 14 15 feet up in tree. I have panthers one veiled and a parson. Now my veiled is a runner so he goes in cage outside. But he is so friendly just a runner
unfortunately he isnt too big a fan of any handling ive tried for a while but he doesnt even respond to me truing to use hornworms to get him atleast near my arm, and it doesnt matter to him the very idea of an arm to him is bad lmao

The one I posted pic of got him when was like 5 months old. So he wasn't really used to being handle. For him I just leave his door open for little bit till he starts coming out then pick up. Once he out of cage he fine. In cage. He a head butter in cage. He fine outside too just not in cage. Also have a shy one. She newest one I got. She don't hiss or head butt just runs and hide. So I'm just hand feeding her alittle each day. Just have to move very slow and keep my hand lower then her. My veiled just alittle puppy dog. My parson is just a sweetie eats out of hand. Doesn't mind me missing around in cage. She also doesn't get pissed when handling. Can hold and hand feed her. She my favorite this pic she weighed 271 at 10 months

Attachments

• 20220613_133655.jpg
    20220613_133655.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom