Rate my Local Zoos enclosure

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
Took my 2 year old too the Portland Oregon Zoo yesterday. They ended up having a Panther chameleon. I wasnt sure on the local, looks like a sambava, but I found the enclosure...lacking. What are your thoughts?
20190422_133213.jpg

Epic fail on the zoos part. Definitely needs more plants that would make the exhibit look 100 times better oh and the Cham would appreciate it too.

Wondering what the lighting, watering, temps, feeders, supplements, etc are like... as for the enclosure, I'd like a few more plants and branches, at least from the picture it looks lacking. Any idea what that bowl is for?

The bowl is to catch the water dripping from the permanent humidifier (it's a cemented in reptifogger) they also only have the few vines, the substrate is sand and they release the crickets on the sand for him to catch... they cant climb up the acrylic wall.

Ahh! I remember seeing that enclosure a couple years back. I recall it being more filled in with plants. Unfortunately I understand where the zoo is coming from when displaying animals they have to keep it more accessible for guests to view. I’m sure if you talk to one of the zoo keepers and make suggestions they’d give you a better understanding of how and why they are setting up their enclosures in that fashion. Not that the enclosure is 100% perfect, and it can use quite a bit of improvement, but sometimes there are regulations where a zoo or a store has to have a water dish placed in every enclosure.

Ahh! I remember seeing that enclosure a couple years back. I recall it being more filled in with plants. Unfortunately I understand where the zoo is coming from when displaying animals they have to keep it more accessible for guests to view. I’m sure if you talk to one of the zoo keepers and make suggestions they’d give you a better understanding of how and why they are setting up their enclosures in that fashion. Not that the enclosure is 100% perfect, and it can use quite a bit of improvement, but sometimes there are regulations where a zoo or a store has to have a water dish placed in every enclosure.

Fair. My largest issue is the sand. Sand is a well known cause of impaction in most reptiles. The chameleon is eating the sand with the crickets...

Probably. The zoo guide was talking about how they blend into their environment by changing the pigment 9f their skin... I interrupted very rudely and corrected her... in front of the entire group of people lol.
I. Hate. This! The amount of people that I've corrected on this at my work when theyve made that comment when I said I was getting a chameleon is astounding. My biggest pet peeve!

Fair. My largest issue is the sand. Sand is a well known cause of impaction in most reptiles. The chameleon is eating the sand with the crickets...

I don't know about this. Most cases of impaction come from poor husbandry. Although I'm with you that I wouldn't want my chameleon eating piles of sand from crickets on the ground. That could pose a health risk if they ingest large quantities of it. I use sand in my enclosures, along with almost everyone that's ever had a female cham for egg laying. Haven't known anyone to have issues from it.

my biggest question it that he's a HE so why is there a need for sand especially when they could be using a bioactive substrate instead, i imagine that would be better for him

You're right, but most bio substrates use sand in the mix. Mine sure uses a ton. With an hour of misting a day I need the added drainage. Panther chams also come from areas with a lot of sand.

Back
Top Bottom