Rate my Local Zoos enclosure

Honestly I love the space they provided but I feel an Oregon zoo could provide more vegetation and climbing spaces for him. I got to see Keiko (Free Willy) at the Newport Zoo before they tried to release him back into the wild. The Newport Zoo wasn't too bad in my eyes.

yes but in that cage is only sand, i think bioactive with the right amount of sand and soil mix would be more beneficial for him

One could make bioactive with the top layer sand lol though I highly doubt that's the case here. My point isn't that it couldn't be better, just that it's not at the top of my worries considering everything else (y)

Haha I was right!!! It is 5:00 in Madagascar! Everyone get there Malagasy drank on!
Screenshot_20190424-081010_Google.jpg

I'm not defending using all sand, it could definitely be better. Just playing devils advocate a little because it's not the worst thing they could do and I'd have bigger concerns about their husbandry.

I disagree. I think its pretty bad. People go to zoos and think that's the way you're suppose to keep the animal. For that reason alone I think it's worse. They have a responsibility to care for there animals better than your average joe.

I disagree. I think its pretty bad. People go to zoos and think that's the way you're suppose to keep the animal. For that reason alone I think it's worse. They have a responsibility to care for there animals better than your average joe.

So you disagree and are saying that of EVERYTHING they're doing, the sand is the number one problem? I agree with putting out a good example for people and nowhere did I say that this is the best option, I just think the impaction stuff is a myth. There's more immediate changes I'm sure they could be making than worrying about sand.

On the topic of the sand (probably the least of the enclosures problems) as a horse owner and vet tech I've seen sand colic kill a horse. I know different animal but if it impacts something so much larger probably not great for something so small. Yes, a little can pass no problem but quantities will weigh down and irritate the bowel. In the wild and in a bioactive they might get a few grains no biggie but hunting on a bare sand floor is going to be worse. Do we know for a fact that they feed on the floor or do they put them on the plants? I'm hoping that that enclosure is just having some plant problems and wasn't supposed to look like that.

On the topic of the sand (probably the least of the enclosures problems) as a horse owner and vet tech I've seen sand colic kill a horse. I know different animal but if it impacts something so much larger probably not great for something so small. Yes, a little can pass no problem but quantities will weigh down and irritate the bowel. In the wild and in a bioactive they might get a few grains no biggie but hunting on a bare sand floor is going to be worse. Do we know for a fact that they feed on the floor or do they put them on the plants? I'm hoping that that enclosure is just having some plant problems and wasn't supposed to look like that.

Interesting! I'd wonder how much sand the horse had to eat? I believe it though... still matches my original statement saying that a little sand wouldn't likely harm anything, but that ingesting mouthfuls from hunting crickets on the ground could probably cause problems.

There is a horse population on Assateague. They graze on the sandy beaches all the time. I wonder how common it is with them. My understanding is that the problem tends to be on an individual basis, but I'm not vet and have no experience with horses lol. Just googled it to read up on it a little.

I guess I brush it off with reptiles because I've never seen or heard of an otherwise healthy reptile get impacted from sand or dirt. Always seems to be a sick animal or from swallowing something inedible and too large to digest(this actually happened to my cat).

Back
Top Bottom