Rate my Jacksons enclosure (feel free to critisize)

XiongBermudaKid

Info of the enclosure:
Chameleon: Male Jacksons (Bermuda, named for doing the weirdest activities) 5 months old
Dimensions: 3 feet high, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep
Material: Glass with plastic and airholes on the roof
Lightning: Uvb lamp, adjust higher if too hot, adjust deeper if too cold, night light lamp (rarely use) I don't use it when Bermuda is sleeping
Measure thingies: there is a thermometer and a humidity checker in the enclosure.
Main plant: Spathipnyllum
Side plants: torn off front-yard leaves, showered to remove any bugs and unwanted materials and placed on suction cups.
Flooring: Dirt as a substrate, with logs and rocks for a natural look, he doesn't eat the dirt.
Day temperatures: 72F on highest parts, 65F on lowest parts, 80-82 for basking temperatures
Night temperatures: 62F - 66F

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_185813.jpg
    IMG_20230119_185813.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20230117_161446.jpg
    IMG_20230117_161446.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230119_185618.jpg
    IMG_20230119_185618.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 52
Hi.:) So, i don’t keep Jackson’s but I feel that I can offer some good general feedback.
Info of the enclosure:
Chameleon: Male Jacksons (Bermuda, named for doing the weirdest activities) 5 months old
Dimensions: 3 feet high, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep Unusual dimensions. Your cham will really be needing at least another 12” of height. Are you able to build something to extend the top a bit? Although, I do have a concern about proper ventilation. I’m not seeing any vents in the lower part of the enclosure. If there aren’t any lower vents, you’ll probably need to put a small fan on the top of the enclosure to suck out and promote better air circulation.
Lightning: Uvb lamp, adjust higher if too hot, adjust deeper if too cold, night light lamp (rarely use) I don't use it when Bermuda is sleeping Correct - no lights at all at night. Chams need a good 12 hours of darkness for uninterrupted sleep. I am not seeing the correct uvb. The correct standard is a linear T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. You are using either a mercury vapor or a compact fluorescent (cfl) each which has its own issue. The mercury vapor is not terribly consistent or stable in its output and is not advised for use unless you have a solarmeter to regularly measure uv output. The cfl only provides the needed uv level at 2-3” directly below the bulb, which then is a burn risk. With the correct T5 and bulb, the basking area needs to be about 8-9” away and your cham can choose to have more or less uvb as it needs/desires.
Measure thingies: there is a thermometer and a humidity checker in the enclosure. Is it a digital one with a probe? What have been the humidity readings?
Main plant: Spathipnyllum I looked it up and it should be safe for your cham. However, it may get too much water in the enclosure. Pothos is a staple for just about all cham keepers and is very versatile.
Side plants: torn off front-yard leaves, showered to remove any bugs and unwanted materials and placed on suction cups. I’m not sure I understand this correctly. Do you mean you are regularly putting in bunches of leaves from a tree or bush in your yard? Sweetheart, just get a pothos. ;)
Flooring: Dirt as a substrate, with logs and rocks for a natural look, he doesn't eat the dirt. Not a good thing. Bare floor is best and easiest to keep clean. Unless you are going fully bioactive with a proper set up of drainage layer, way to remove excess water, varied soil layers and clean up crew of isopods and springtails, keep the floor bare. Bioactive is an awesome thing, but it needs to be done just right. I think it’s best for new keepers to concentrate on getting basic husbandry down perfectly before even thinking about bioactive.
Day temperatures: 72F on highest parts, 65F on lowest parts, 80-82 for basking temperatures
Night temperatures: 62F - 66F As I said, I don’t know much about Jackson’s, but those temps look pretty good to me. I know they like it cool and humid at night.
The black vine that you have you’ll probably want to replace. They are well known for shedding small particles that can get into little chameleon eyes. Fluker’s makes some nice foam type vines that are inexpensive.
What about supplements? Feeding? Have these been addressed already? Has anyone guided you towards https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ yet? It makes a huge difference to know why we do things a certain way, and that is a great place to learn all the whys. I’m so sorry if I seem so critical and I do hope you’ll see that it’s coming from wanting to help build you and your chameleon keeping skills up. I know you love your sweet little one and I want to help however I can so that you share many wonderful years together. It is awesome that you are here and asking questions, being open to being helped. The experienced Jackson’s keepers may be along and further help you and correct any misinformation I may have given. :)

Yeah sorry, im only 14 and I don't think I can buy things at that age and will depend on my dad but Im not sure if I can convince him so I just rip off some leaves from my bush, I use calcium without D3 once then I won't use it for another day then I'll use it again but he usually eats once every 2 days
Like I said ur free to criticize so don't worry

Yeah sorry, im only 14 and I don't think I can buy things at that age and will depend on my dad but Im not sure if I can convince him so I just rip off some leaves from my bush, I use calcium without D3 once then I won't use it for another day then I'll use it again but he usually eats once every 2 days
Pothos and philodendron are very common house plants and are super easy to grow from clippings - just sit in a glass of water for a couple of weeks until roots grow. Some one in your family, friends or even school may have a pothos or philodendron and be willing to give you some clippings.

I would look at the info you were given. It will be extremely important to make some changes especially with the UVB and with cage size... Incorrect UVB will cause major health issues including death.

Hi.:) So, i don’t keep Jackson’s but I feel that I can offer some good general feedback.
Info of the enclosure:
Dimensions: 3 feet high, 2 feet wide and 2 feet deep Unusual dimensions. Your cham will really be needing at least another 12” of height. Are you able to build something to extend the top a bit? Although, I do have a concern about proper ventilation. I’m not seeing any vents in the lower part of the enclosure. If there aren’t any lower vents, you’ll probably need to put a small fan on the top of the enclosure to suck out and promote better air circulation.
Lightning: Uvb lamp, adjust higher if too hot, adjust deeper if too cold, night light lamp (rarely use) I don't use it when Bermuda is sleeping Correct - no lights at all at night. Chams need a good 12 hours of darkness for uninterrupted sleep. I am not seeing the correct uvb. The correct standard is a linear T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb. You are using either a mercury vapor or a compact fluorescent (cfl) each which has its own issue. The mercury vapor is not terribly consistent or stable in its output and is not advised for use unless you have a solarmeter to regularly measure uv output. The cfl only provides the needed uv level at 2-3” directly below the bulb, which then is a burn risk. With the correct T5 and bulb, the basking area needs to be about 8-9” away and your cham can choose to have more or less uvb as it needs/desires.
Measure thingies: there is a thermometer and a humidity checker in the enclosure. Is it a digital one with a probe? What have been the humidity readings?
Main plant: Spathipnyllum I looked it up and it should be safe for your cham. However, it may get too much water in the enclosure. Pothos is a staple for just about all cham keepers and is very versatile.
Side plants: torn off front-yard leaves, showered to remove any bugs and unwanted materials and placed on suction cups. I’m not sure I understand this correctly. Do you mean you are regularly putting in bunches of leaves from a tree or bush in your yard? Sweetheart, just get a pothos. ;)
Flooring: Dirt as a substrate, with logs and rocks for a natural look, he doesn't eat the dirt. Not a good thing. Bare floor is best and easiest to keep clean. Unless you are going fully bioactive with a proper set up of drainage layer, way to remove excess water, varied soil layers and clean up crew of isopods and springtails, keep the floor bare. Bioactive is an awesome thing, but it needs to be done just right. I think it’s best for new keepers to concentrate on getting basic husbandry down perfectly before even thinking about bioactive.
Night temperatures: 62F - 66F As I said, I don’t know much about Jackson’s, but those temps look pretty good to me. I know they like it cool and humid at night.
The black vine that you have you’ll probably want to replace. They are well known for shedding small particles that can get into little chameleon eyes. Fluker’s makes some nice foam type vines that are inexpensive.
What about supplements? Feeding? Have these been addressed already? Has anyone guided you towards https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ yet? It makes a huge difference to know why we do things a certain way, and that is a great place to learn all the whys. I’m so sorry if I seem so critical and I do hope you’ll see that it’s coming from wanting to help build you and your chameleon keeping skills up. I know you love your sweet little one and I want to help however I can so that you share many wonderful years together. It is awesome that you are here and asking questions, being open to being helped. The experienced Jackson’s keepers may be along and further help you and correct any misinformation I may have given. :)
Thank you for this information, although I am incapable of doing most things at the moment, this will definitely be super useful when I become an adult and start being able to do things myself, so should I remove the soil then? I heard it can maintain and trap humidity, also it's just amazing on how you can easily identify what lamps people use, a little compliment 😀

Last edited:
Thank you for this information, although I am incapable of doing most things at the moment, this will definitely be super useful when I become an adult and start being able to do things myself, so should I remove the soil then? I heard it can maintain and trap humidity, also it's just amazing on how you can easily identify what lamps people use, a little compliment 😀
Some things you can get by with not improving, but you really need to do whatever you can to get the correct uvb and improve ventilation. Chameleons can be very fragile and need to have all of their needs met or it can result in a lot of sadness. There have been many kids here who have had challenges in getting what they need for their chameleons. It really helps to have the full support of a parent or other adult family member who is able to help. Many times I’ve advised to offer your parent(s) to do whatever chores you can to ‘work’ for what your chameleon needs. Maybe there is a trustworthy neighbor or family friend that has jobs to pay you for. Sit down with your mom or dad and let them know how important your chameleon is to you, that it needs some things and ask for their advice on how you can get/earn the money for those things. At 14 you are most definitely at the age where you need to start showing your parents that you are able to handle responsibilities and are in the process of growing up. When it comes time to drive and date and all those good things, you’ll be needing their trust in you. ;)

I think I have enough money for those items since I make 5 dollars a week from chores and I've saved up 🙂 but I'm unsure if I'm old enough to buy those things yet, some searches say you can buy products from petco at the age of 14 just not pets, im not sure what sources to trust because it could've could've awkwads, petco might sell Reptisun and Arcadia linear bulbs. Does soil also trap humidity and maintain? I've heard it does so I'm hesitant to remove it from the enclosure

Talk to your parents... Unfortunately without the correct items this chameleon will die. It just will not wait until your older. It is so important for kids your age to have the financial support of their parents if they are going to have advanced reptiles like chameleons. Start reading every module here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Post pics of your chameleon as well so it can give more info on it.

im lso 14 and i feel you try seeing if you can do things around the house for money or on like your birthday or christmas try asking for that stuff thatrs what i was able to do

Talk to your parents... Unfortunately without the correct items this chameleon will die. It just will not wait until your older. It is so important for kids your age to have the financial support of their parents if they are going to have advanced reptiles like chameleons. Start reading every module here. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Post pics of your chameleon as well so it can give more info
I will when he stops hiding.

Back
Top Bottom