Rate/feedback my chameleon cage

FunkyMunkey80

Fairly new Panther Chameleon owner of 2 month, with my 5 month old Panther named Mochi.

I used the foam method to hold all the live plants and sticks/vines. Just added a flat of baby’s tear for increase humidity and aesthetics. Lighting is Reptisun 5.0 light and fluker’s ceramic heat emitter. Automatic Monsoon Misting system and automatic fogger setup.

616901B8-A872-4BE5-AFAF-02903EB789CA.jpeg
89E1FF28-667F-463F-BF3E-72F6E3F83403.jpeg
9BDA1412-A2AD-4FAD-9EF4-D6372FAC07CF.jpeg

I think it looks really good. You did a really nice job with the foam and plantscapibg. You might consider changing the ceramic bulb. They provide far infrared heating that can lead to burn injuries as the chameleon basks beneath the heat. I thought this article was really interesting. https://www.reptifiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Why-Infrared-Matters-by-Roman-Muryn.pdf
It talks about the different types of infrared light that reptiles used to heat themselves and how to provide light and heat

How strongly is the foam attached to the screen? I’ve considered trying something similar. Very nice job! That’s one very lucky dude!

I think it looks really good. You did a really nice job with the foam and plantscapibg. You might consider changing the ceramic bulb. They provide far infrared heating that can lead to burn injuries as the chameleon basks beneath the heat. I thought this article was really interesting. https://www.reptifiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Why-Infrared-Matters-by-Roman-Muryn.pdf
It talks about the different types of infrared light that reptiles used to heat themselves and how to provide light and heat

Looks like a long article, it'll be my bedtime reading tonight =) Thanks

How strongly is the foam attached to the screen? I’ve considered trying something similar. Very nice job! That’s one very lucky dude!

The foam is a expanding foam, super sticky while wet, once it dries it's pretty permanent, definitely not going anywhere!

What did you affix the foam to?? How did you attach the foam (and whatever the base is) to the screen? What do the sides of the enclosure look like from the outside?

What did you affix the foam to?? How did you attach the foam (and whatever the base is) to the screen? What do the sides of the enclosure look like from the outside?

So I was trying to save some money and not purchase Dragon ledges since they were pricey and I was already way over my budget on building the cage out. So my boyfriend and I went to Home Depot and found galvanized plumbing expanding support rods and plumber's plastic hangar straps, and attached it to the cage through the slots. then I sprayed the expanding foam over it. Which covers the rod completely and sets everything in place. The outside is something I will improve on next time, there's slight over expansion of the mesh walls due to the expanding foam, so I had to shave the extra foam off, but it doesn't look completely horrible. And when you spray the foam, lay the cage down on the side you're spraying on and over a large plastic trash bag, so the foam won't push the mesh walls out too much.

So I was trying to save some money and not purchase Dragon ledges since they were pricey and I was already way over my budget on building the cage out. So my boyfriend and I went to Home Depot and found galvanized plumbing expanding support rods and plumber's plastic hangar straps, and attached it to the cage through the slots. then I sprayed the expanding foam over it. Which covers the rod completely and sets everything in place. The outside is something I will improve on next time, there's slight over expansion of the mesh walls due to the expanding foam, so I had to shave the extra foam off, but it doesn't look completely horrible. And when you spray the foam, lay the cage down on the side you're spraying on and over a large plastic trash bag, so the foam won't push the mesh walls out too much.
Sounds pretty simple. Got a picture handy of the outside sides??

Back
Top Bottom