Rat or mouse in outdoor enclosure

I don't blame you and I'm very thankful for you posting this. Otherwise I'd brush off seeing the mouse. I'm really sorry to hear about your friend too, that is terrible.

It is. He was a mouse Exterminator by trade, and dealt with them all the time.

It was his own house, that he got sick from, that's the worst part.

After he passed, his wife and children moved out immediately the house is now condemned.

We live in the forest too, the Moggolon Rim is a stones throw. There is trees Everywhere lol.

This view is a few blocks from my house lol.
mogollon-rim2523.jpg

Newest largish town is 2 hours, nearest City is 5.

Last edited:

After he passed, his wife and children moved out immediately the house is now condemned.

We live in the forest too, the Moggolon Rim is a stones throw. There is trees Everywhere lol.

This view is a few blocks from my house lol. View attachment 239354

That’s a beautiful view sorry about your friend

This view is a few blocks from my house lol. View attachment 239354

So Sorry about your friend. When I lived in AZ this was a major concern... you could get mice very easily and an infestation in no time. We had to put mouse poison under our house every month since we lived on 5 acres in the middle of no where. They would invade the air ventilation under homes putting people at high risk.

Thanks and yes it is.

Sadly all pines so not much branch and leaf litter pickings :(.

Thankfully he died peacefully in his sleep. He had been treated for the virus, and they thought he was okay. He died in his sleep 2 days later, his lungs had failed.
So sad and tragic. I currently have a huge rat problem in the house I’m renting. We don’t even stay there anymore. I only go back to feed the chameleons and my bugs. I won’t risk my sons health he’s two and puts everything in his mouth. I worry about the Chams to but I can’t risk moving them since I don’t have anywhere else at the moment

So Sorry about your friend. When I lived in AZ this was a major concern... you could get mice very easily and an infestation in no time. We had to put mouse poison under our house every month since we lived on 5 acres in the middle of no where. They would invade the air ventilation under homes putting people at high risk.

Ya it's horrible. 3 winters ago, we had to remove the posion, because our Maltese ate it, she was okay after an emergency vet visit, but we had to get rid of it all.

So we figured, we really never seen mice, it will be okay. Then we noticed a couple, and put up 2 snappers which didn't work. Well those couple turned into them being everywhere really quick. We had to out snappers with odd types of baits and such to actually have them work. It took months to fully get them gone. It was HORRIBLE!

You could hear them in walls, and see them scurrying at night, they got in all of our cupboards ripped open all the bags of food. Finnally got rid of them, and only have a few snappers setup now, but man was that miserable.

So sad and tragic. I currently have a huge rat problem in the house I’m renting. We don’t even stay there anymore. I only go back to feed the chameleons and my bugs. I won’t risk my sons health he’s two and puts everything in his mouth. I worry about the Chams to but I can’t risk moving them since I don’t have anywhere else at the moment

Snappers, Snappers work! Get the ones that have the cheese looking bait pedestal. Smear peanut butter in the holes, and then hot glue a cornflake to the top. If you don't glue it or only use peanut butter they will take the food and be out.

The peanut butter attracts them and the cornflake keeps them there, and when they can't take it and leave they will get got.

And get alot. If you think you got 10 mice, get 50 traps because you have more lol.

Snappers, Snappers work! Get the ones that have the cheese looking bait pedestal. Smear peanut butter in the holes, and then hot glue a cornflake to the top. If you don't glue it or only use peanut butter they will take the food and be out.

The peanut butter attracts them and the cornflake keeps them there, and when they can't take it and leave they will get got.

And get alot. If you think you got 10 mice, get 50 traps because you have more lol.
THANK YOU!! Yea I’m sure there is about 50 from what I hear in the attic. I think the exterminator layed only 7 down. I’ll make then lay down more.

I think the main nest is somewhere in my bedroom, they are extremely loud in that area and caught one on camera on my makeup table

This might be a stupid question but would they try to eat my chameleons? Yes everyone laugh at me for the question I love Larry I don’t want to fight off a rat, Imelda can protect herself I believe in her

Vermin caries many, many diseases! On top of the physical harm they can do, I would be very concerned with disease! Outside keeping has more pros than cons if your temperatures and humidity is compatible with your chameleons. This is just one of the cons.

This morning I found this guy trapped in my cham's enclosure. Looked large to be a mouse. This worries me because rats will attack chameleons given the chance. I live in the woods so there are all sorts of wild animals around... any thoughts?

Hey look its a shrew

*sigh* not all shrews of noticable pointy noses. Yes its more than likey a mouse. But I give you

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Photos can be very helpful.

They dont all have long pointy faces. The north american short tail shrews we deal here are relatively short nosed. But yes its a mouse Lol.

Why you give James the questionare lol :p.

Back
Top Bottom