Raj's First Shed

ChamRajah

Hi all!

I got Raj a little over 3 weeks ago. He is a young male (unsure of age) and I have been feeding him as such (7-8 feeders a day, some times up to 10). I would like some help to give him a nice shedding experience.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male veiled. 4 months? I got him 23 days ago.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely. 3 times total, Once when I put him in the cage & 1 time to gently mist her so she could wash her eyes, 1 time to move to cage after free range.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I have been feeding him 7-8 feeders every day (large variety. Crickets, dubias, just a few wax worms total, was feeding meal worms but stopped, and horn worms, BSFL, and blue bottle flies. I was feeding him 2x per day but now I just put almost all food in cage before 9am. I am gut loaded them with organic chard, apples, zuchinni, and strawberries so far.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I dust the crickets and dubias everyday with ReptiCalcium without D3. I have given 2 whole meals dusting of Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamins and have done 2 whole meals with ReptiCalcium with D3 since I got him.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use the ReptiRain automatic mister. It mists every 6 hours for 60 seconds. I’ve seen him drink off the leaves. I use water from the sink but use a liquid chlorine remover.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? My cham hasn’t been tested for parasites. His poop seems normal to me, her urate is white. Poo part is a soft solid and is brown/black. He's had diarrhea one time and I think it is because I give about one horn worm a day. He poops about every day.
  • History - I've only had him 2 weeks so not too much history. I know that a lot of people don't love it but I bought him from PetSmart. He likes to free range but gets kind of timid when out of his cage. I've been able to tong feed twice.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? The 18"x18x36 screen cage on a night stand. On two sides I put up a shower curtain to try to keep humidity in and to make sure my ReptiRain doesn't get all over my carpet.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Both lights turn on at 730-isham and off at 8ishpm. His UVB is the reptisun 5.0. (I know I need to get the long instead of the coil.) The basking bulb is 100 w. His basking spot is at least 10" from the bulb but sometimes he climbs on the ceiling directly under the basking bulb, so i turn it off so he doesn't get burnt. If I see him gaping excessively, I turn off the heat bulb (this has only happened one day). (I looked into his gaping- no mouth rot and I don't think RI. No liquid from nostrils. And it only happened 1 day.)
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? I bought a ZooMed humidity gauge and thermometer combo for $14 but I don't think it's that great. My humidity high is 40 and low is 30, so I know i need to fix that. Lowest overnight temp is 73 (that's what i keep my apartment at) but the thermometer in his cage only gets to 70 so i don't think it works. There are multiple shades spots to get out of heat. (I see him mostly basking, not much time hiding in the leaves unless he is sleeping.)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? To maintain humidity I have 3 live plants from Josh's Frogs that were deemed okay for chameleons and pesticide free. I live in Kansas City, Missouri and the normal humidity levels are fairly high anyway. Plus I have the 2 sides lined with shower curtain. But I may get a humidifier since the gauge says 40 at best.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes but I forgot the names. And I plan to add a pothos.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? No fans or air vents. It is in my dining room, on an end table, and is possibly considered high traffic now that my roommates and I are working from home during the COVID Stay at Home orders. Her cage starts about 2 to 2.5 ft off of the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? KCMO
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about: Would like some tips to give him a healthy shedding experience. Approximate Age? And anything I may be doing wrong.

Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 20200418_071210.jpg
    20200418_071210.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20200409_135939.jpg
    20200409_135939.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200405_162651.jpg
    20200405_162651.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 71
Back