Raising standards fly maggots on fruit fly mix

Has anyone tried raising maggots from fishing shops on fruit fly mix to clear their gut of any unpleasant foodstuffs as I have recently brought 2 cultures that also hatched 'normal' flies.

I believe that much of the nutrition is lost during pupation so would also be interested in any info on how to gut load flies with suitable vitamins.

i use natural maggots from the bait shop,i gut load the hatched flys on honey and bee pollen and also dust them with pollen :)

I am going to try it with the next batch of fruitflies I make up...what was your recipe for mix? Just Yeast, water, sugar, potatoflakes and readybrek?

I'm always using flies as a treat food as the chams love to hunt and catch them. Bee Pollen is one of the most natrual and healthy foods around and is supposed to be very good food for gutloading insects as you passing on all that goodness to the cham. In the wild the cham would feed on insects carrying the pollen.

By "standard", do you mean houseflies, Musca domestica?

I hatch pupae from Spiderpharm, and gutload the houseflies on my crix gutload mixed to a paste with organic molasses, with orange wedges for water.

Houseflies are lapping flies, so the diet has to be a goo/paste, gel, or liquid for best gutloading.

Back
Top Bottom