Raising a smaller fixture above the cage

ajs

Avid Member
I have a 24" T5HO dual fixture that I'd like to raise about 2" above the DIY 36x24x36 cage I am building. I'll eventually probably get a 36" fixture but I cant spend that $$ at the moment

Does anyone have any suggestions other than hanging the fixture? I'd really like to avoid that

Right now I have it sitting on two small pieces of 2x4, but I'd like something nicer looking

Last edited:
It kind of depends on the fixture and how it's configured, is there a reflector, etc., and do you have (access to) a jointer or router?

One idea that immediately comes to mind is checking out your local DIY Big-Box for moldings.
Look for a profile of the approx. size you want that might look good to you, and would be suitable for attaching or mounting the fixture to.

If necessary, you could attach strips to the back of molding to create a notch or ledge on which to rest or attach the fixture hood.

I'm not sure if I explained that clearly; here's a rough sketch.

1591409563031.png

Don't laugh... This was my temporary solution when I didn't have a better way to support the T5HO. With the splayed feet, it's surprisingly sturdy. (Also, the light gets nowhere near hot enough to melt the blocks. They're about $14 for a set of Mega Bloks at any big box store. )

IMG_7311.jpg

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS - just wanted to share that you can find non-standard solutions in a pinch. Hope it helps :)

Don't laugh... This was my temporary solution when I didn't have a better way to support the T5HO. With the splayed feet, it's surprisingly sturdy. (Also, the light gets nowhere near hot enough to melt the blocks. They're about $14 for a set of Mega Bloks at any big box store. )

View attachment 268671

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS - just wanted to share that you can find non-standard solutions in a pinch. Hope it helps :)
I’m laughing! ? Only because that is too cute and super creative.

I've been using PVC frames to rig my lights up, and then creating "hoods" out of poster board and black duct tape to reduce light bleeding into the room/hide the fixtures. It's not the prettiest thing around, but it's cheap and it's effective!

Current example of my chameleon and crestie enclosures and their shared lights. Don't mind the mess and terrible cable management - these were taken immediately after set up!

20200602_112539.jpg
20200603_152122.jpg

Can i ask why you want to raise it 2"?
Trying to get around UVI 3 at his top basking branch and when I had it on the screen top, I did not notice him on his basking branch much at all. Since I've moved it up 2", each morning ive seen him basking now. So, I think the UV levels were a bit too much for him with it on the screen

Trying to get around UVI 3 at his top basking branch and when I had it on the screen top, I did not notice him on his basking branch much at all. Since I've moved it up 2", each morning ive seen him basking now. So, I think the UV levels were a bit too much for him with it on the screen
That's probably OK, but if you ever get an opportunity to borrow a Solarmeter, I would, if just for peace of mind. :)

Had you considered putting your UVB at an angle, so he has a choice and can find the level he likes best?

What strength bulb are you using for your uvb?

If it is a 6% in a dual fixture and you raise it two inches then basking should be two inches below the screen will put you at a 3 uvi. If placed directly on the screen you need a distance of 5 inches or so to basking to get the 3 UVI.

If it is a 12% in a dual fixture and you raise it two inches then basking should be five inches below the screen will put you at a 3 uvi. If placed directly on the screen you need a distance of 7 inches or so to basking to get the 3 UVI.

But you have to account for where your cham is going to rise into the UVI...So if your getting a 3 at the branch and your cham rises off the branch 1 inch higher this increases your UVI level. So with my set up... I used my solarmeter to figure out the level where Beman's back and head rise into the 3 area. And then his branches are lowered to accommodate this. This is why having a solarmeter 6.5 is priceless to me. It takes out all the worry on placement and allows for testing of the bulbs. I test mine weekly since I run a quad and it is harder to tell when a bulb blows.

But then you have to account for where your heat fixture will sit... Too close to basking you get thermal burns. Did you change anything about the basking fixture when you moved up the UVB? Bulb or even placement?

What strength bulb are you using for your uvb?

If it is a 6% in a dual fixture and you raise it two inches then basking should be two inches below the screen will put you at a 3 uvi. If placed directly on the screen you need a distance of 5 inches or so to basking to get the 3 UVI.

If it is a 12% in a dual fixture and you raise it two inches then basking should be five inches below the screen will put you at a 3 uvi. If placed directly on the screen you need a distance of 7 inches or so to basking to get the 3 UVI.

But you have to account for where your cham is going to rise into the UVI...So if your getting a 3 at the branch and your cham rises off the branch 1 inch higher this increases your UVI level. So with my set up... I used my solarmeter to figure out the level where Beman's back and head rise into the 3 area. And then his branches are lowered to accommodate this. This is why having a solarmeter 6.5 is priceless to me. It takes out all the worry on placement and allows for testing of the bulbs. I test mine weekly since I run a quad and it is harder to tell when a bulb blows.

But then you have to account for where your heat fixture will sit... Too close to basking you get thermal burns. Did you change anything about the basking fixture when you moved up the UVB? Bulb or even placement?
It's a 6%. I've never changed the basking bulb spot, and before I upgraded to a T5HO, he would bask on his top perch a lot.

Since changing to a T5, I did not see him bask on his top perch any longer.

After raising the T5 (technically it's about 1.5" or so since a 2x4 isnt actually 2") he has resumed basking in the morning.

His perch is about 5-6" below the screen top, so I guess he is getting around UVI 2 or so based on the UVB graphic. Although, his behavior change seemed to be pretty distinct - so that is what I ultimately have based it on
UVB-Map-Arcadia-UVB-FZone-3-Rev-D.jpg

It's a 6%. I've never changed the basking bulb spot, and before I upgraded to a T5HO, he would bask on his top perch a lot.

Since changing to a T5, I did not see him bask on his top perch any longer.

After raising the T5 (technically it's about 1.5" or so since a 2x4 isnt actually 2") he has resumed basking in the morning.

His perch is about 5-6" below the screen top, so I guess he is getting around UVI 2 or so based on the UVB graphic. Although, his behavior change seemed to be pretty distinct - so that is what I ultimately have based it on
View attachment 268720
Exactly you got it hun. :)

• Love
Reactions: ajs
Back
Top Bottom