Rainbow Jackson?

B3NZ0

Hey, guys!
I am new here and yet to own a chameleon. I have been doing a good chuck of research and I think I want a Jackson I found a site selling rainbow jacksons but, no pictures anyone have any pics or info on them? What would be a fair price to pay for a rainbow jackson?

T.I.A.

I've never heard of a "rainbow Jacksons". That's certainly not a term that describes a specific species. With no pictures I would question if this is even a reputable breeder.

There are Jacksons species that sport a bit of color including blue and yellow in addition to green! They are considered very colorful for Jacksons, but not a rainbow.

Look into Merus or Johnstoni if you want a colorful Jacksons.

Perhaps "rainbow" is the name of the company. I own all three known types of jacksons chameleon and have attached pictures below. In my (biased) opinion, they are all beautiful with their mix of greens, yellows and blues. (Please excuse the quality of these pics as they were all taken by my phone....but you get the idea.)
1 Common jacksons xantholophus.JPG
Above is the most common and least expensive of the jacksons chameleons, jacksons xantholophus. It also tends to be the largest of the three. If you buy a "xanth" it will probably be CB (captive born) or WC (wild caught) from Hawaii. Males have three horns and females usually have none.
2 jj full body.jpg
Above is a much less common jacksonii jacksonii. If you buy one of these, it will most likely be WC from Kenya (or CB in Kenya and then shipped to the US). This is a male. Males have three horns and so do females. A female pic is below. Immediately below are several close up images of my male's colorful scales. Jacksonii jacksonii (jj) are about $150-200 plus shipping.
jj arm.jpg
Close up of front leg and eye.
jj eye.jpg
jj female.jpg
Above is a female jacksonii jacksonii. Notice her three horns. Below is a close up of my male's shoulder.
jj shoulder.jpg
Below are pictures of three different male Mt. Meru Dwarf Jacksons, members of my cham fam. These are a bit smaller than the other two species of Jacksons. They are my favorite. Males have three horns and females have one on the tip of their noses (and are super cute). They have varying amounts of yellow on their heads and often have blue/turquoise coloring on their flanks. Females tend to be more green &/or brown. If you buy one of these, it will cost about the same as a jacksonii jacksonii and be about as hard to locate. If you purchase it from a large, well known reptile breeder will probably be WC from Tanzania. If you buy it from a private individual, such as someone here on Chameleon Forums, it will most likely be CB.
Mt. Meru Male.jpg
Mt. Meru Male 1.jpg
Mt. Meru male 3.JPG

All three jacksons species are montane species and have almost identical care though Mt. Meru require smaller enclosures and generally eat less due to their smaller size. All are equally enjoyable. JACKSONS RULE.....BECAUSE THEY'RE SO COOL!!!!

Attachments

• jj foot.jpg
    jj foot.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 558
I just had thirteen babies last week and I am selling them for 75 each in two months. If you are interested I can send you pictures of the baby jacksons or its mother.

Perhaps "rainbow" is the name of the company. I own all three known types of jacksons chameleon and have attached pictures below. In my (biased) opinion, they are all beautiful with their mix of greens, yellows and blues. (Please excuse the quality of these pics as they were all taken by my phone....but you get the idea.)View attachment 159707 Above is the most common and least expensive of the jacksons chameleons, jacksons xantholophus. It also tends to be the largest of the three. If you buy a "xanth" it will probably be CB (captive born) or WC (wild caught) from Hawaii. Males have three horns and females usually have none.
View attachment 159708 Above is a much less common jacksonii jacksonii. If you buy one of these, it will most likely be WC from Kenya (or CB in Kenya and then shipped to the US). This is a male. Males have three horns and so do females. A female pic is below. Immediately below are several close up images of my male's colorful scales. Jacksonii jacksonii (jj) are about $150-200 plus shipping.
View attachment 159709 Close up of front leg and eye.
View attachment 159710 View attachment 159711 Above is a female jacksonii jacksonii. Notice her three horns. Below is a close up of my male's shoulder.
View attachment 159713Below are pictures of three different male Mt. Meru Dwarf Jacksons, members of my cham fam. These are a bit smaller than the other two species of Jacksons. They are my favorite. Males have three horns and females have one on the tip of their noses (and are super cute). They have varying amounts of yellow on their heads and often have blue/turquoise coloring on their flanks. Females tend to be more green &/or brown. If you buy one of these, it will cost about the same as a jacksonii jacksonii and be about as hard to locate. If you purchase it from a large, well known reptile breeder will probably be WC from Tanzania. If you buy it from a private individual, such as someone here on Chameleon Forums, it will most likely be CB.
View attachment 159716 View attachment 159714 View attachment 159715

All three jacksons species are montane species and have almost identical care though Mt. Meru require smaller enclosures and generally eat less due to their smaller size. All are equally enjoyable. JACKSONS RULE.....BECAUSE THEY'RE SO COOL!!!!

Arent Johnston's chameleon a type of Jacksons?

I just had thirteen babies last week and I am selling them for 75 each in two months. If you are interested I can send you pictures of the baby jacksons or its mother.
Good luck with your new babies. Jacksons are extremely hard to figure out as babies. I've had well over 50 babies born here and I have to raise a single one to 2 months. For me the 5/6 week mark was where the massive die offs would really start. During those times I talked to atleast a dozen people to help me figure it out and everyone said the same thing. They are just extremely difficult.
They seem to eat and drink great and for no reason that I can see they just start dying. I find it strange because the adults and sub adults are really strong.
These were all jacksoni xanth.

Good luck with your new babies. Jacksons are extremely hard to figure out as babies. I've had well over 50 babies born here and I have to raise a single one to 2 months. For me the 5/6 week mark was where the massive die offs would really start. During those times I talked to atleast a dozen people to help me figure it out and everyone said the same thing. They are just extremely difficult.
They seem to eat and drink great and for no reason that I can see they just start dying. I find it strange because the adults and sub adults are really strong.
These were all jacksoni xanth.

Could it be humidity? Have you tried rearing them in Glass?

I think you once told me you rear your babies in glass but just a possibilty. I have been reading alot about breeding montanes and glass is defiantly a necessity. Everything I have seen from people successful says if they are not raised in like exoterras they wont make it. This wasn't about jacksons per se just montanes.

No I never tried glass. I tried sm screen cages and I tried small plastic cages. Maybe something like an exo terra cage might help. Worth a shot.

No I never tried glass. I tried sm screen cages and I tried small plastic cages. Maybe something like an exo terra cage might help. Worth a shot.

Yep, from what i have read and been told is Exo terra or Protean ect, glass cage is a must for Montane babies. The people that have told me that, rear montanes. They say if you raise in screen the humidity is not high enough and they pass for seemingly no reason, just like you said :). Though 3 sided like the DS cages, may work.

You could get some DS cages with the PVC walls and the clear main door (the PVC) with the small amount of screen on the bottom.

I have also been told by a few people that Panther and Veiled babies do better in the glass as well. It holds humidity better and longer and humidity needs to be high and constant for baby montanes. Again just what I have read been told. I have yet to raise a montane baby, but have been looking into it alot :).

Jeanpierre and Extension could likely be of help with that for you, they breed montanes give them a holla :).

Word of Warning though. Setup Baby cages first, and test them with the mister and a humidity gauge, as that setup will hold the water and humidity much better. So where you are using a mister for 5 mins 3 times a day ect, in a glass you need like 30 secs 2 times a day to maintain high levels. So experiment with it first.

Which species of jacksons are your babies? I have twelve 3 month old jacksonii jacksonii and 5 Mt. Meru babies that will be 4 months old next Monday. I am raising them individually in 8"x8" and 8"x12" glass Exo Terra enclosures. It's my first real success with these fragile montane babies. I do have two 18 month-old Mt. Meru siblings from my very first surprise batch of babies from a wild caught gravid female.

Have you had much success raising jacksons from birth? I'd love any tips or tricks you might want to pass along. Thanks!

I have twelve 3 month old jacksonii jacksonii and 5 Mt. Meru babies that will be 4 months old next Monday. I am raising them individually in 8"x8" and 8"x12" glass Exo Terra enclosures. It's my first real success with these fragile montane babies. I do have two 18 month-old Mt. Meru siblings from my very first surprise batch of babies from a wild caught gravid female. I tried raising a few other surprise batches in between but they all died within the first 4-6 weeks so I decided to make some changes to my husbandry. I'm still tweaking things as I go along and I definitely still have my fingers crossed!!!

Arent Johnston's chameleon a type of Jacksons?

No, Johnstons look similar (they are both trioceros & have three horns) but they are not Jacksons. I don't know a lot about them but one thing I do know is that they lay eggs and Jacksons give birth to live neonates. Also, Johnstons are from Uganda where as Jacksons are from Tanzania (Mt. Meru) and Kenya (jacksonii jacksonii & xantholophus).

Back
Top Bottom