Rainbow Jackson’s horn looks pale

The5th005

Hey everyone I’m brand new to this forum and I need some help. This is my first time owning a rainbow jackson. I had a regular jackson and this never happened to me. My rainbow jackson named Jacque has a decent set up with a humidity fogger, good foliage and dripper plant system. Jacque always use to eat worms right out of the capsule tongs but recently he hasn’t been eating as much as normal. I leave the worms in a bowl and when I come back from work he ate them. Same with crickets from time to time. Anyways I noticed the horn right above his mouth was slightly pale compared to others. I noticed now it’s even more pale. Is this normal for him growing or should I be worried.
E6DC3F06-EF62-468F-B4F7-A376877737DF.jpeg

Welcome! Worms shouldn’t be used as a staple, I’ll post a feeder chart below, as well as a gutload one. Have you read the Jacksons care sheet on here or the rainbow one on The Chameleon Academy?

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 3.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 97
  • chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 80
Welcome! Worms shouldn’t be used as a staple, I’ll post a feeder chart below, as well as a gutload one. Have you read the Jacksons care sheet on here or the rainbow one on The Chameleon Academy?
He eats crickets most of the time too. I try to keep him varied. But is horns ok?

You need to rotate feeders for a jacksons, atleast jacksonii jacksonii get bored of the same food quite quickly. have 5 or more different insects you rotate inbetween, waxmoth,s dubias, flies, p nivea, walking sticks. All dusted with plain calcium WITHOUT d3. Don´t forget to lower the night temperature to 16 C.

Last edited:
You need to rotate feeders jacksons, atleast jacksonii jacksonii get bored of the same food quite quickly. have 5 or more different insects you rotate inbetween, waxmoth,s dubias, flies, p nivea, walking sticks. All dusted with plain calcium WITHOUT d3. Don´t forget to lower the night temperature to 16 C.

You need to rotate feeders jacksons, atleast jacksonii jacksonii get bored of the same food quite quickly. have 5 or more different insects you rotate inbetween, waxmoth,s dubias, flies, p nivea, walking sticks. All dusted with plain calcium WITHOUT d3. Don´t forget to lower the night temperature to 16 C.
His temperature is lower. Also thanks for the heads. I guess the guy who sold me at the expo wasn’t the brightest at selling calcium 😬

Just a note you will often see changes in horn growth when they go from situation to situation with changes in husbandry, wild to captive, pet store to proper home. However the change will happen between one horn ring and the next not over lapping several rings unevenly as above.
D3 poisoning causes calcium to be deposited in places it does not belong. I suspect the keratinized tissue that covers the bone of the horn may be affected. He probably got too much at the pet store even before you got him.

Get him a dose of multi vitamin that has Vitamin A as retinol not beta carotene. Make sure it has no D3. Try to find a vet that knows chameleons. If they try to give him a vitamin shot with more D3 in it don't let them. His bones may look like he has MBD on xray but that is because D3 toxicity will pull the calcium out of the bones and deposit it elsewhere. Often the tip of the tail will turn dark and fall off from this.

Get him a dose of multi vitamin that has Vitamin A as retinol not beta carotene. Make sure it has no D3. Try to find a vet that knows chameleons. If they try to give him a vitamin shot with more D3 in it don't let them. His bones may look like he has MBD on xray but that is because D3 toxicity will pull the calcium out of the bones and deposit it elsewhere. Often the tip of the tail will turn dark and fall off from this.
I’m going to the store now to get him it. What do you recomend? Also is it ok if it waits a few days. The doctor I go to isn’t open until Monday

If you want to keep it simple for now just get human Vitamin A retinol capsules and put a tiny smear on a feeder that he will definitely eat. Do this only once as it will last in his system a while. Then get your appointment on Monday. Then you can get him on a more normal schedule later.
It can be hard to find multi without D3

If you want to keep it simple for now just get human Vitamin A retinol capsules and put a tiny smear on a feeder that he will definitely eat. Do this only once as it will last in his system a while. Then get your appointment on Monday. Then you can get him on a more normal schedule later.
It can be hard to find multi without D3
Would a pet store like petco have one?

Maybe but they often don't even sell calcium without D3. You will have to read all the labels carefully.
Unfortunately I don't have time to read thru them right now maybe someone else remembers the correct one. Everything I have here is mixed.

Back
Top Bottom