R. Brev eye problem (I think)

binaryterror

The one pygmy cham I made a thread about before has his eye still halfway closed. I noticed it this morning again, so I took him out and got a closer look. The eye is very dry it looks like (eyeball), and the lid is like halfway closed and kinda crusty. I misted him directly in that eye today for awhile, but I have a feeling that wont do anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Oh, he is WC by the way.

Sounds like a visit to the vet is in order. Mine gave me baytril in a very low dose for a leaf chameleon and some eye goop. Eye infections in WC are common, and you will need the supplies.

Heika

Eye infections in WC are common

CB too! I had something hit one of my baby brev enclosures and it smoked like four of them. One or two eyes would be really swollen. Never had that happen before and it’s kind of scary.

There are things that could be done at home but as mentioned you need the supplies from the vet and experience handling them. So I suggest a vet too.

So Heika, did the baytril and eye goop (going to assume it was neomycin based stuff) do the trick?

-roo

Is there any website where I can findout what vets are local that deal with chameleons?

And also, I am just curious... what happens if this goes untreated?

CB too! I had something hit one of my baby brev enclosures and it smoked like four of them. One or two eyes would be really swollen. Never had that happen before and it’s kind of scary.

Ugh, that does sound scary. I haven't had a problem with CB yet. (knock on wood)

So Heika, did the baytril and eye goop (going to assume it was neomycin based stuff) do the trick?

It seems to me that the chameleons that develop eye infections never completely get better. However, the baytril and goop (yeah it is neomyacin based) seem to give the infection enough of a kick that they improve for a month or two before getting sick again. I have often wondered if it is a stress related illness for leaf chameleons... the treatment causes the problem, a nasty circle. Too bad there wasn't a way to put a broad range antibiotic in their water. I recently lost 2 WC leaf chameleons that have been in the baytril-eyegoop club for several months. I think that, eventually, their systems are just overcome by the infection.

How about you, roo? You ever manage to completely cure one?

Heika

And also, I am just curious... what happens if this goes untreated?

If you don't treat it, it will eventually travel to the other eye. The chameleon will eventually starve to death because it can't see to hunt. With that in mind, you may want to pick up some of this stuff to keep on hand. I have found that it works well as a force fed meal for a weak leaf chameleon.

Heika

Ok guys, i have just been misting him directly the past week and the eye doesnt really look as bad. It is still half closed, and it is also sunken it. The bottom eyelid also droops lower than his other eye. So I have the option of going to the vet, or is there a website that I can order medicine off of? Because if you guys know what the problem is, then maybe I could just buy him the medicine.

Thanks!

Ok guys, i have just been misting him directly the past week and the eye doesnt really look as bad. It is still half closed, and it is also sunken it. The bottom eyelid also droops lower than his other eye. So I have the option of going to the vet, or is there a website that I can order medicine off of? Because if you guys know what the problem is, then maybe I could just buy him the medicine.

Thanks!

Hi.. one of the things that I would suggest is Baytril, and I don't know how to mix it in a diluted form for a leaf chameleon. I would really encourage you to visit a vet.

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is, or why they develop eye infections. After reading about this species in "Stump-tailed Chameleons" I have made a few changes. I plan to make a few more before I am happy. Maybe that will cut down on the eye infections..?

Back
Top Bottom