R. Acuminatus Unit

svs421

Hey all! I recently rescued a neglected Acuminatus and I have him in a 12x12x18 Exo Terra glass unit. It is highly planted with layers of hydroballs, moss, and plantation soil. There is a dripper going at all times and he gets misted about 6 times a day. Humidity sits around 80% most of the time. UVB goes for almost 12 hours. Temps sit at around 73 during the day and in the 60s at night.

I have been reading that some people have kept them in screen enclosures and am wondering if this would be a better set-up for him? I wonder because he is obsessed with sitting at the door. Yesturday he wanted out so badly that he climbed onto my hand without hesitation and then wandered around on the bed for almost an hour. When I put him back he instantly sat at the door again. He can be found there about 90% of the time.

I want to make sure that he is comfortable and his behaviour makes me wonder if he needs more air circulation.

Hey all! I recently rescued a neglected Acuminatus and I have him in a 12x12x18 Exo Terra glass unit. It is highly planted with layers of hydroballs, moss, and plantation soil. There is a dripper going at all times and he gets misted about 6 times a day. Humidity sits around 80% most of the time. UVB goes for almost 12 hours. Temps sit at around 73 during the day and in the 60s at night.

I have been reading that some people have kept them in screen enclosures and am wondering if this would be a better set-up for him? I wonder because he is obsessed with sitting at the door. Yesturday he wanted out so badly that he climbed onto my hand without hesitation and then wandered around on the bed for almost an hour. When I put him back he instantly sat at the door again. He can be found there about 90% of the time.

I want to make sure that he is comfortable and his behaviour makes me wonder if he needs more air circulation.

I think a screen enclosure would be a much better option. Besides giving them more climbing area, it also allows for proper ventilation. It's important that the enclosure dries out completely between misting cycles so that there's no chance of excess bacteria in the air for the cham to breathe. The humidity will obviously be lower in a screen enclosure, but regular mistings will help and as long as the chameleon drinks, it'll be good.

Hope that helps!

As someone with a group of Acuminatus now, I would not advise a screen enclosure.

These guys like it humid. Don't saturate, and let things dry out, but also don't let the enclosure get too low with the humidity levels.

Keep your temps below 75, with a nice drop in the evening.

They'll hang around doors/front areas often. Once they acclimate they start to roam quite a bit and you won't find him always looking for ways to get out.

Thanx so much! I was torn about which way to go but I will keep him in his current house. The humidity was a concern for sure. Cameron, I have purchased an aquarium cooling fan for the top... even though the don't let off a whole lot of cool air is this ok? I like the idea of him having that extra air movement.

Also, how low can the humidity go and still be in the safe zone? It sounds like I need to back off a bit so the substrate can dry out a bit!

Listen to Cameron B's advice. A screen cage would not be ideal for an acuminatus. With an Exo Terra you won't need the aquarium fan even. They are an awesome species, good luck!

Do you feel that a 12x12x18 is big enough for him? He is itty bitty and it seems like a lot of room but I want to be sure in case they require something with more floor space.

Ok, I wondered about the smaller floor layout. 12 inches square seems small compared to anything else I have kept. I wasn't sure if they prefer more room or if they tend to stay in a small territorial area in the wild.

Do you feel that a 12x12x18 is big enough for him? He is itty bitty and it seems like a lot of room but I want to be sure in case they require something with more floor space.

I think an 18x18x18 is minimum. I keep mine in 18x18x24. A single male will literally use every vertical and lateral inch of this space to move about if provided it.

Back
Top Bottom