quick question regarding screen climbing

whysoez420

when your cham climbs the screen does he get stressed/scared?
every time i find mine on the screen he has a bunch of spots on him like a pattern as if he's stressed. just makes me question why he goes up there if it was to bother him.

He might be getting the darker colors in order to soak up some more of those good rays from the lights.

i thought of that i might up the bulb wattage but his basking spot is 84 so he should be fine. here is a pic of his pattern. this is not how he normally looks:

Chameleons have a natural tendency to climb up when stressed. Mine does it when there are lots of people in his area, when I'm trying to take him out and he's not in the mood, during cage cleanings, photo shoots, etc. I think it's tough to have an entirely stress free environment, so the best you may be able to do is make the climbing as safe as possible. Be sure no lamps are superheating the screen. Cham toenails can get broken in the screen holes leading to infection, etc., so providing another climbing surface in his "get away" spot is a good idea. Some people attach plastic "hardware cloth" (google it, get from Home Depot, Lowes) to give a claiming surface that ties can't get caught in. My strategy has been adding more branches against the favorite climbing spots and continually wrapping more of my pothos plants in the area as it grows.

Chameleons have a natural tendency to climb up when stressed. Mine does it when there are lots of people in his area, when I'm trying to take him out and he's not in the mood, during cage cleanings, photo shoots, etc. I think it's tough to have an entirely stress free environment, so the best you may be able to do is make the climbing as safe as possible. Be sure no lamps are superheating the screen. Cham toenails can get broken in the screen holes leading to infection, etc., so providing another climbing surface in his "get away" spot is a good idea. Some people attach plastic "hardware cloth" (google it, get from Home Depot, Lowes) to give a claiming surface that ties can't get caught in. My strategy has been adding more branches against the favorite climbing spots and continually wrapping more of my pothos plants in the area as it grows.

hmm that's weird only because he just started doing it recently.
nothing has changed at all. he's in my room by himself where no noise is made and his cage has remained the same.

I get a feeling that the chameleon might get mad that his claws are getting slightly stuck in the mesh. I used to use aluminum but after having one of my girls lose a toe...I cursed all aluminum mesh. In the enclosures where I have felt flooring, chameleons get stuck on it too. This seems to get them upset as well. I am not 100% sure, just taking a shot at a possible reason.

I get a feeling that the chameleon might get mad that his claws are getting slightly stuck in the mesh. I used to use aluminum but after having one of my girls lose a toe...I cursed all aluminum mesh. In the enclosures where I have felt flooring, chameleons get stuck on it too. This seems to get them upset as well. I am not 100% sure, just taking a shot at a possible reason.

this seems a bit more plausible because he doesn't move.
once he gets to a spot I've seen him stay the same pattern in the same spot for hours. now I'm starting to think I should put some kind of sheeting over the screen. maybe a nice background.

how big is his cage? my female changes when shes walking around her cage, she gets dark and spotted.. does the same when shes hunting too but she doesnt climb the cage lol

my baby veiled sounds like it does the exact same thing. It gets a dark tribal/tiger strip cgoing along his spine and spots on his side. He only does this however when he is hunting crickets that have crawled up the screen to the top where he corners them..I call it climbing the stair way to heaven for the crickets. After he catches him he goes back to normal. Sometimes he even climbs the screen and sleeps during the day.

Back
Top Bottom