Quick question on eggs.

Inky

Established Member
Howdy all ,
I have been sitting on a clutch of fertile eggs since October 11th of last year.

I still have about 4-5 months til the 10 month mark but so far some eggs have dented and seemed to have died . Most still look healthy and growing but so far I’ve lost 3 eggs and I’m a little concerned and looking for Any reason as to why this is happening. They’ve all collapsed recently and they seemed fine for many months. I’ve got them in a 3 gallon tub of vermiculite and I moisten it once a month. Temp ranges from about 65-75 degrees consistently.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

Hi sorry can only reply i think but can someone please give me an accurate amd precise temp range for veiled Chami eggs. I’ve seen so many different ones and I don’t want to mess up the eggs. 😮‍💨 thanks so much #egg temp

Hi sorry can only reply i think but can someone please give me an accurate amd precise temp range for veiled Chami eggs. I’ve seen so many different ones and I don’t want to mess up the eggs. 😮‍💨 thanks so much #egg temp
I’ve never incubated eggs, but I believe the ideal temp range is somewhere around 76-ish. Usually I’ve read that people just put the eggs in their closets for incubation time.

I’ve never incubated eggs, but I believe the ideal temp range is somewhere around 76-ish. Usually I’ve read that people just put the eggs in their closets for incubation time.
Thanks yea I’ve seen that too. I’m just getting too many different temps. Some from questionable sources. I hope I’m keeping them alright in the incubator. Thx for the reply

I've incubated quite a few veiled eggs at 72F to 74F degrees with no problems.

What is the substrate you're incubating them on and how moist is it? Where are they being incubated?

Vermiculite / perlite mix. Squeezed out water from substrate. In a full incubator in three tubs. According to incubator reading it’s at 76% humidity in the incubator. Thanks

I've always used the coarse grained vermiculite with nothing else mixed in. I take a fist full of it once it's moist and make sure I can only squeeze out one or two drops of water.
I fill shoe box sized Tupperware like containers about half full of the vermiculite and place the eggs in dents I've made with my thumb...in rows about one inch apart I all directions. I put the lid on and place it where the temperature is right...in the dark.

If they dent in or the substrate seems to be drying out, I add a little water around the outside edges of the container without getting any on the eggs.

Yea that’s about how the mix is. Should I take off the perlite layer? Everything else is the same. I’ll lower the heat a bit but temp fluctuates here so I want it constant in the incubator. Thanks

I rarely have to add water because the closed container is like a mini eco system...beads of moisture will form on the sides and lid of the container. I hardly ever take the lid off to check on them and if I do, I make sure to get it back on quickly..

Ok thanks. I just checked them and some were molded. There are some with veining so I’m just keeping on. Lowering the humidity a bit. I’ll be super stoked if I get just one that makes it. Cross your fingers for me!

Ok thanks. I just checked them and some were molded. There are some with veining so I’m just keeping on. Lowering the humidity a bit. I’ll be super stoked if I get just one that makes it. Cross your fingers for me!
The folks at Snake Discovery put some athlete's foot powder on snake eggs that are starting to mold. That seems to help - not sure if you'd be willing to do it on your cham eggs but it seems safe enough - they've done it for years. Just a thought. Fingers are crossed for ya!

I saw that somewhere but have no idea if it’ll work. and one about hydrogen peroxide which I tried. I’m getting some powder as well. I’ll def check out snake discovery! I think most will be a dud but there are still some with veining etc I separated them just in case for now and sterilized everything and all new substrate and everything. Thanks a lot for the tip and the 🤞

I saw that somewhere but have no idea if it’ll work. and one about hydrogen peroxide which I tried. I’m getting some powder as well. I’ll def check out snake discovery! I think most will be a dud but there are still some with veining etc I separated them just in case for now and sterilized everything and all new substrate and everything. Thanks a lot for the tip and the 🤞
Snake Discovery (youtube) is WONDERFUL. Ed and Emily have worked with reptiles for a long time, and Emily used to do (and still does) programs for kids to learn about them. They've also been doing breeding for a good few years, and about a year and a half ago, they opened a reptile zoo! They're super wholesome to watch, have great info, and entertaining videos. I don't own snakes but I sort of want to now lol... They don't do anything with chameleons, but generalized reptile (and invertebrates) info is never bad to have!

For sure. I’m actually subbed to them but never really thought of them for chameleons 😬 but yea any reptile info is helpful since it’s all basically the same. Love snakes but I can’t do the feeding part. I’m too much of a softie. 😅

Haha I feel that. It's a tough concept feeding cute fluffy rodents to a snake. I've kept rats as pets a number of times. It's probably partially why I don't have a snake myself.

Back
Top Bottom