Quick drainage question

dlaunde

Established Member
So I found someone local with the perfect sized terrarium that they never used but it is a glass/screen mixture. The bottom and 8" high up the sides is all glass (waterproof), with a glass back and then half screen/half glass sides and screen top.

I was planning on doing a planted bottom per the usual guides (bottom layer of rocks, netting, substrate, etc)...but with it being an all glass bottom enclosure area, there is no way to add a small drainage tube for any water that reaches the rock layer (aside from drilling the glass but I don't want to risk that).

Does a planted bottom with proper misting need to be drained? I know house plants that are watered every few days don't need drainage, but for a chameleon enclosure with multiple mistings a day wasn't sure if it is necessary.

Thanks!

I'm having trouble visualizing this. Any terrariums I've seen either have a ceramic tile bottom, or metal frame holding the glass, etc.

Would it be possible to post a picture of the bottom from the inside (just stick your head in and look down)? Or is there one like it here:
glass bottom terrarium

Don’t drill the glass unless you’re certain it’s NON-tempered glass. if you attempt to drill tempered glass the whole panel can explode. I picked glass out of a coworkers face after he attempted to drill a tank that we weren’t sure if it was tempered (it was).

I don’t think you can tell just by looking if it’s tempered or not, so you’ll need to know what type of glass the manufacturer used. Drilling glass also requires special drill bits.

If you’re drilling non-tempered glass with a proper bit, it’s pretty simple otherwise. I’m sure there’s lots YouTube videos out there to watch for tips

Just leave a down pipe, and then you can insert tubing and siphon .

a down pipe is just a pice of pvc pipe set just above the bottom and sticking out above the top layer. A stopper works too prevent things getting in when not in use.

Thanks, but I don't have much room to work with (it is a 36"x18" footprint cage).

Is drilling a small hole to fit like a 1/4" drain port in glass that hard to do in glass?
No it's not hard at all I have done it many times just go to hardware store and get a glass drop but set if you don't have any then turn cage upside down and possible make small clay wall around where you want to drop and fill clay pool with water to lubricate drill bit it will drop very clean if you can't turn cage upside down use a spray lubricant and drill slow spraying every once in a while

Just leave a down pipe, and then you can insert tubing and siphon .

a down pipe is just a pice of pvc pipe set just above the bottom and sticking out above the top layer. A stopper works too prevent things getting in when not in use.

Oooo, that sounds like an easy idea. Would I be able to get away with a once a week siphon for ease of use (just do it when I am cleaning the cage and refilling my mister reservoir, etc)?

Oooo, that sounds like an easy idea. Would I be able to get away with a once a week siphon for ease of use (just do it when I am cleaning the cage and refilling my mister reservoir, etc)?

You may never have to drain it. It just depends on how much water collects. It is one of those things you may not need often, but when you do you will be happy it is there.

Back
Top Bottom