Does anyone know of a pump that will turn on as water fills up?

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I'm working on this stand that will hold my dragonstrand atrium. It's pretty much done, I just need to wait for the stores to get some plants that are large enough.

At the bottom I have a long bin that probably fits 20 gallons or so. It was the best I could fit under. My plan is to put a submersible pump in the bin and have it pump drainage water out the window to water the plants. Since I mist a lot for my Parsons(at least 30 minutes a day) this thing will be filling up fast. Instead of worrying about flooding the floor every day I was wondering if there was a small pump out there that can sense when water fills up and send it out. Kind of like a reverse auto top off for a fish tank. I guess like a sump pump for a basement, but small enough to fit in that drainage bin.

Attachments

• 15246706944353801455014008868424.jpg
    15246706944353801455014008868424.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 15246707594322734263299419013093.jpg
    15246707594322734263299419013093.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 139
Might be one out there that'll work, maybe If it sits next to it and i somehow have the intake inside of the bin.

Also thinking of just having a timer pump it for like 30 seconds a day. Some can run dry for around 48 hours so I'm sure a few seconds shouldn't hurt. That might be my simplest option.

I work for a pool service company, we sell pool cover pumps that turn on automatically when the water fills up on top of the solid covers and weigh it down. Maybe look into something like that? They have to be plugged in constantly but they are low voltage and don't use much electricity. If you throw it in the bin, all you have to do is attach a garden hose to it and it should run right out through the hose. When the water fills up passed the sensor in the pump, it just drains it out.

So I'm working on this stand that will hold my dragonstrand atrium. It's pretty much done, I just need to wait for the stores to get some plants that are large enough.

At the bottom I have a long bin that probably fits 20 gallons or so. It was the best I could fit under. My plan is to put a submersible pump in the bin and have it pump drainage water out the window to water the plants. Since I mist a lot for my Parsons(at least 30 minutes a day) this thing will be filling up fast. Instead of worrying about flooding the floor every day I was wondering if there was a small pump out there that can sense when water fills up and send it out. Kind of like a reverse auto top off for a fish tank. I guess like a sump pump for a basement, but small enough to fit in that drainage bin.
Have you looked into condensate pumps? I used them when I did hvac. You run pvc drain to the pump and when it hits a certain level the pump clicks on and pumps out. The hose that pumps out is flexible so you can run it anywhere.

Attachments

• FEB70972-C3B3-4972-927D-C02A0B6C29C3.jpeg
    FEB70972-C3B3-4972-927D-C02A0B6C29C3.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 96
If you are willing to use a timer rather than a sensor an aqua lifter aquarium pump might do the trick. They are super cheap and so is a timer.

Also look into hobby stores, rc boats usually have a bilge pump setup to sense water. Maybe you could get just the water sensor and hook it up to a submersible pump or get a large enough bilge pump to work. Might even be able to use a bilge pump for a fishing boat, unfortunately my experience with fishing boats is limited to a 12 foot aluminum boat where the bilge pump is your hands and a bucket lol although a quick Google yielded this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/b...ds&dclid=CMnv5bCX1toCFc1gAQod-E0J1Q#store=299
And this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00B0...Mwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=41n3kro-iyL&ref=plSrch

Which should work quite well for you as it is designed to connect to pipe and definitely will be able to keep up with the water easily and low cost. Should also be relatively quiet and bilge pumps are designed for a function similar to what you need a pump for, only issue is powering it, which should be easy to do using a 12 volt transformer.

Last edited:
Thank you! That looks great too lol so many options i didn't think of. The ones you linked are in Canada it looks like, but I'm sure I can find here.

If you are willing to use a timer rather than a sensor an aqua lifter aquarium pump might do the trick. They are super cheap and so is a timer.

Off topic, but was it you that was going to try and set up a rain system using a Tom's aqualifter pump?

Yes, once I got it in it was so well hidden that I couldn't get decent picture of it. It wasn't a rain system as much as a series of drippers that ran in the outdoor cage. I pulled that cage apart the other day. I'll try to get pics when I redo it.

I'm not sure he ever used it or that it made any kind of humidity difference. It was just nice to know that if he went into any of the three biggest plants that there was water available. When he's in the outdoor cage all he wants is sun. I put in all these plants & branches and created a humidity/temp. gradient and he would just plaster himself to the screen as close to the sun as possible regardless of the temperature.

I can see that, my Panthers do the same. I have windows around the house that I put plants next to for them to chill on during the day. They will just smoosh themselves up against the screen and stay there for hours.

Back
Top Bottom