Questions with parsons.

Tetsuo

So lately I've taken a huge intrest in parson chams and I'm wanting to learn more. What is the husbandry for these, how do you get imports, are there any breeders in the US, how do you breed them, and any other knowledge about them. Not to many people talk about them (from what I've seen) but they are absolutely gorgeous and I hope to get one someday. But how or where can you get chams exported like carpets, panthers, parsons and other species? :)

Know any good smugglers? Parson's chameleons have not been legally exported from Madagascar to another CITES member nation since 1995.

I've found a few. ;P I read about that after I posted the thread, but what was on the same site was that some have been exported over the years although they have been in small amounts. I'm just curious about their husbandry and things of the sort.

well very little is known about them, some few guys have been able to hatch eggs, they are the heaviest chamelons of all, and they are SLOW for everyhting, I think they reach maturity about 3 years old, the eggs take more than a year to hatch, I think it was 14 moons of maybe 2 years with diapause? don't remember, they drink plenty of water, and need and need the winter rest time

The smugglers was a joke just incase anyone thought I was serious. I am wanting to know what their temperature range is, humidity, how often and how long you mist them, what cage size is recommended, their breeing habits, and really anything else. I don't plan on getting one soon but I do plan and hope to get a pair of them. They are truely stunning and gorgeous and I hope more CB will become available. I've read threads on them but nothing is very informative other than the post by Rantotro. (I haven't read a lot of the other posts)

The smugglers was a joke just incase anyone thought I was serious. I am wanting to know what their temperature range is, humidity, how often and how long you mist them, what cage size is recommended, their breeing habits, and really anything else. I don't plan on getting one soon but I do plan and hope to get a pair of them. They are truely stunning and gorgeous and I hope more CB will become available. I've read threads on them but nothing is very informative other than the post by Rantotro. (I haven't read a lot of the other posts)

Well while young up untill perhaps 18 months old they don't need a large enclosure, mine is in a 2x2x4 repribreeze. If put in a large enclosures they get lost.there temps change as you should winter them but recommended not to do so the first year as you want them to keep growing and mine gets around 25 mins misting per day plus a dripper. They are a very complicated chameleon they take time to trust you. A panther will see water and go have a drink, parsonii won't. There not the easiest chameleon to keep I am for ever worrieing about mine

I bought a pair of C. parsonii off of Hank Molt back in 2002 I believe for $3500. I kept them in a screened off portion of our heated greenhouse in Atlanta for 5 yrs with some success. However they were quite easily stressed so I never tried to handle them I hand fed them adult dubia, hornworms and fuzzy mice once or twice a month. They laid a single clutch a couple yrs into having them, we had only three hatches after 19 months of incubation due to a few power outages and little knowledge of their incubation needs back then Im sure.

Mine are drinking very easily. They need more time for drinking but after 1-2 min of shower, they usually start drinking in almost every case.
If they don't, I know I don't have to insist and the best thing is to come a bit later.
I didn’t see a real difference between the 4 of them considering that the oldest girl was born here (2.5 years old), the second one is coming from Andreas (as a baby), the 3rd one, I guess >7 months old when I got him and the last one >14 months when I got him as well. Number 3 and 4 were sold as CB which is probably wrong.
Of course, they are all different. Price can make them different as well.

Ours wouldnt drink without a greenhouse misting system over the entire enclosure, we couldnt get them to use a "drinking drip station" so I would slant bamboo plants evey foot or so in their 8'x3' enclosure to drink off of and we let it rain for 15 minutes twice a day.

They need to have a long time for misting. It seems a decent amount of people have aquired parsonii but I have a very hard time finding any one or place that has them in stock.

They need long misting because it takes a while for them to start drinking and there isn't that many people with parsonii really. Your better finding a breeder rather than taking the risk of getting WC

Eventually I'd like to get a CB and I hope by the time I do they will be more common in the pet trade and are more easily bred.

I dought they will ever make it to the pet trade for many reasons that include pet shops wouldn't have any idea how to care for them and the stress of people walking past all day an pestering them wouldn't be good for them. Lets be honest the pet trade Carnt look after panthers so these wouldn't fair to well

I ment more people trying to breed them and sell them online. :p I don't care much for seeing chameleon in stores in the first place. Two days ago when I went to get my jackson some Flukers Insect Emergency Aid I was looking at a PAIR of MALE veileds in the SAME repti-breeze (Medium) one was significantly old than the other and the younger one's tail was badly injured (most likely from the older male). It's tail wa already miss 1/4 and the other 1/4 was turning black and looked like it had been bitten. I made a bit of a stink about it to the manager.

Back
Top Bottom