Questions From a Upcoming Owner

Catinblack

Can someone please answer these questions for me? I have yet to buy a chameleon, but I'm about ready to set up for his arrival. I would like to know if I'm doing this right. I'm pretty sure I am, I put a lot of time and research into this, but there are a couple things I'm still hazy on. Could anyone help?

Questions:
- Is a 32"h 22"w 16"d bird cage appropriate for a young male chameleon? Can an adult comfortably live in this cage, or do I have to upgrade?
- Moneys kinda tight, so I choose to hand mist my chameleon. Is this schedule okay (I plan to do this until he notices the droplets, and drinks as much as he needs to)?
  • Mist once at 10:00 a.m, 6:00 p.m, and 10:00 p.m
- Is this feeding schedule okay?
  • Feed two crickets (at 6:00 p.m, feed a cricket and a fruit, vege, or green) before misting
  • Continue until he is a year old, than feed every other day
-Can I spot clean his cage once a week, and do a full clean once a month?

I'm sorry that I gotta lot to ask, but I'd really make me feel better to know that I'm giving my chameleon the appropriate care by someone more experienced. Thank you to anyone who can help!

The thing I'm most concerned about is the cage, since I'm pretty confident in my schedules (I put quite a bit of time and research into making them, so I hope I didn't completely miss the mark XD.). So if ya don't wanna answer everything, the cage would be a good one to focus on :p

Can someone please answer these questions for me? I have yet to buy a chameleon, but I'm about ready to set up for his arrival. I would like to know if I'm doing this right. I'm pretty sure I am, I put a lot of time and research into this, but there are a couple things I'm still hazy on. Could anyone help?

Questions:
- Is a 32"h 22"w 16"d bird cage appropriate for a young male chameleon? Can an adult comfortably live in this cage, or do I have to upgrade?
- Moneys kinda tight, so I choose to hand mist my chameleon. Is this schedule okay (I plan to do this until he notices the droplets, and drinks as much as he needs to)?

Depends on how young you are looking to buy really. That size cage I wouldn't plan on keeping him in as an adult though. Depending on his growth rate you would probably be ok until he was 6 maybe 8 months old.
Don't mist right at lights out, 10, 4 and 8 would be better. At night you want the humidity without everything being drenched.

• Feed two crickets (at 6:00 p.m, feed a cricket and a fruit, vege, or green) before misting
Panthers don't really eat fruits, veg and greens like veiled will. The general schedule is 10-12 appropriate size crickets, or equivalent amount of other types of bug, until approx. 6 months (depending on size of the cham at this age) then reduce to 10-12 appropriate sized crickets/ other bugs every other day. At 12 months reduce to 7-10 crickets/ other bugs every other day. You do need to plan on a variety of bugs though not just crickets.

I spot clean daily and deep clean once a month.

I'm sorry that I gotta lot to ask, but I'd really make me feel better to know that I'm giving my chameleon the appropriate care by someone more experienced. Thank you to anyone who can help!

#1 rule, don't feel sorry for asking questions. You are far better off asking then not lol. I have brain farts sometimes and still ask @Matt Vanilla Gorilla questions I knew the answer to or have read answers to questions I've come up with and asked his opinion on.

Just be prepared...fun experience but sometimes a bit tedious...all worth it to watch the little guy grow, I’m a new keeper so won’t give you any advice. Congrats on your new friend.

It’s so nice to see you asking and getting this wealth of knowledge added to what you already know. I asked a ton too, read a bunch, YouTube, podcasts and this forum and then even went back to my breeder and asked more questions. You can never know everything and people on here are so genuinely awesome to share their love of these reptile family members we cherish. Good luck. I skim read through but a small cage is fine for now if it’s all you have but always buy the biggest for males for females a medium tall is good. My dude is in a double reptibreeze 24 by 48. I just combined them took out the middle screen and bolted together so it’s a 48 by 48 lol he’s got too much room. You can always improvise and improve as you go. Good luck your gonna be a great addition to this family of keepers!

It’s so nice to see you asking and getting this wealth of knowledge added to what you already know. I asked a ton too, read a bunch, YouTube, podcasts and this forum and then even went back to my breeder and asked more questions. You can never know everything and people on here are so genuinely awesome to share their love of these reptile family members we cherish. Good luck. I skim read through but a small cage is fine for now if it’s all you have but always buy the biggest for males for females a medium tall is good. My dude is in a double reptibreeze 24 by 48. I just combined them took out the middle screen and bolted together so it’s a 48 by 48 lol he’s got too much room. You can always improvise and improve as you go. Good luck your gonna be a great addition to this family of keepers!
...And other people get great advice from your questions.... :love:

I didn't add this in the first place, when I really shoulda (so sorry for that, I just forgot), but this is a male veiled, not panther. Thank you for your help, @dshuld, but would the only thing that would change your answer be the food part?

Also, I'm gonna edit the part about the cage, we decided to buy a large aquarium, and split it in half during there youth, than flip it over and use the top screen as a door when he is older. So my last question is, does anyone know if something like 76 inches is too tall? I don't want him to get hurt or anything... Thank you!

Can someone please answer these questions for me? I have yet to buy my veiled chameleon, but I'm about ready to set up for his arrival. I would like to know if I'm doing this right. I'm pretty sure I am, I put a lot of time and research into this, but there are a couple things I'm still hazy on. Could anyone help?

Questions:
- Is a 76" tall aquarium too tall for an adult male? I plan to only let him climb up to 70, so he won't be too close to his basking spot. Is this still too high?

I didn't add this in the first place, when I really shoulda (so sorry for that, I just forgot), but this is a male veiled, not panther. Thank you for your help, @dshuld, but would the only thing that would change your answer be the food part?

No, still the same for veiled too.

Also, I'm gonna edit the part about the cage, we decided to buy a large aquarium, and split it in half during there youth, than flip it over and use the top screen as a door when he is older. So my last question is, does anyone know if something like 76 inches is too tall? I don't want him to get hurt or anything... Thank you!

A large aquarium? Have a pic of what you're talking about?

No, still the same for veiled too.
Okay! Imma still feed him fruits, veges, or greens though. I made a list of the ones they like the most, so Imma try different foods, and continues feeding him the ones he seems to like. Thank you for your help everyone! All I need to know now is the aquarium question. If anyone could answer that, I'd really appreciate it

Okay! Imma still feed him fruits, veges, or greens though. I made a list of the ones they like the most, so Imma try different foods, and continues feeding him the ones he seems to like. Thank you for your help everyone! All I need to know now is the aquarium question. If anyone could answer that, I'd really appreciate it

Sorry, I hit send to fast lol. Yes veiled will eat the veggies that panthers won't. Rest is still the same though.

Here's the picture you wanted, @dshuld
00C0C_ir6RlsXy4f6_600x450.jpg

We're planning to put something down the middle or towards the end, so as a baby, he won't be too intimidated by the space. Than, when he gets older, we're gonna flip it, and turn the top into a door

What area of the world do you live? The tank may be ok if used a the base for a bioactive enclosure with a custom screen enclosure on top. But the air inside the tank itself would be to stagnate for the cham to be housed in.

Back
Top Bottom