Questions about trash can method?

Petmason

Well I have a pair of veileds. Copulation occurred 2/28, today makes 30 days. I have a container filled with moisten sand about 8 in. Only till recently has play sand been available in my area. (Is play sand with silica ok?) So I had a bag of reptisand I used thats why its only 8 in. I have towels around the cage to seclude her and I just put cardboard cause the bottom few inches were exposed. I have the sand packed tightly. (Is this ok?) It looks as if she walked on the sand but didn't dig. She still eats but walks all around. I spray her in the morning very heavy I use to spray more often but I don't want to disturb her. She still has dark fecal and white urinates.

When should I attempt the trash can method?
How often to water and feed in the trash can?
How long can she stay in that environment?

Thanks in advance!!

Scott

So the laying container you are providing now is in her enclosure?
If she's still eating, she's probably not ready yet.

-Brad

silica is BAD!! please do not use anything with it near your chams. she will start digging when she feels ready. i have heard that it sometimes takes a week before she is comfortable enough to start digging, so try not to get worried. the more a cham is moved around, the more it stresses them. how wide is the container? 8-12" deep is best. you said that you are using reptile sand? i am not sure if it is recommended.

The medium has to be able to hold the shape of the tunnel.
I used a sandy topsoil with some peat mixed in (pretty damp but not muddy)
You will notice her acting anxious and pacing around ... going up and down a day or so before she starts digging.

-Brad

The Laying container is in the enclosure now. It is about 8" deep. She does still eat but slower than she use to. (Not all at once) I know silica is bad but I wanted to make sure it was even bad used for laying.(thanks DarkRapture) The sand held a tunnel when I tested it by digging a tunnel with my fingers.

How will I know when she has totally rejected the laying container if she does?

I have noticed her color is a dark green compared to her usual bright green. Is this normal? She stays on the vines above the laying container but not in it.

She will get very anxious when it is time and will be in and out of that container, pacing etc.
You Will know

-Brad

Hi,

I have just had my first clutch of veiled eggs so I know what your going through. You could start a couple of holes for her to explore as this is what I did and it triggered her to start digging like crazy. I am not in any way an expert but this helped my girl a lot...

Good luck with the laying.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom