Questions about Cham at vet

Sb0720

Hey y’all! This is my first post on here so I’m pretty new. My female veiled chameleon is at the exotic vet for 2-3 day right now, but I want to get an input on what you guys think.

They couldn’t tell me much today because they have to get some fluids in her, but I am really worried she has MPD. She’s about 3 years old and Ive done absolutely everything I can to prevent it but I’m still worried she may have it.

Her cage is is 23”x23”x48” and has 2 automatic misters in there. She has a 5.0 UVB and a basking lamp that is about 7” from the nearest branch. She has 3 live plants and a couple of fake ones. Her feeding schedule is crickets with calcium without d3 every feeding and calcium with d3 twice a month. Her egg laying bin is always in there and probably 9” deep. She’s only layed eggs once when I first got her about a month after I got her when she was already full grown and layed about 50 eggs. She hadn’t layed eggs since or shown signs she is going too. I was worried she was egg bound but the vet said based on his psychical examination it didn’t seem like she was but he has to do X-rays to really see. She is in an extra room in my house so it’s very low traffic to prevent stress. I have really limited her handling unless it’s really necessary like the clean her cage and such.

Over the past I want to say 4 days she’s gotten progressively worse. She was drinking water but not eating so I thought she was maybe just shedding but she still wasn’t eating after a couple days and she got incredibly weak overnight and wasn’t doing the normal activities she would. As far as not even using her tongue for anything. So that’s why I decided to take her to the emergency vet overnight.

I guess I just want to know what you guys think based on how she looks and the conditions I’ve said if you think she’s gonna make it. I have had so much anxiety about it so I just wanted to see if she looks like there’s a possibility she can make it?

P.S. I know the humidity is extremely high. I was trying to give her a luke warm shower with the spray bottle before the help her rehydrate.

Attachments

• 74383F7F-6989-4647-A849-DC2D2167BB85.jpeg
    74383F7F-6989-4647-A849-DC2D2167BB85.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 679B5409-7D83-44F4-AB22-77D42B9BD260.jpeg
    679B5409-7D83-44F4-AB22-77D42B9BD260.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 79
Hello and welcome to forums, I´m sorry you´re undergoing this.
Just one question upfront; how long is she in your care? Which brand 5.0 UVB are you using? Assuming she´s longer then 1 year in your care, have you ever changed the UVB bulb?

Good you took her to the vet, because she isn´t looking good at first sight, sorry to say this. What does the exotic vet day about her?

I’ve been using the reptisun brand. She’s been in my care for about 2 years and I’ve changed it 3 times since I’ve had her. The most recent time being about 4 months ago.

The vet said he couldn’t really tell much right now until he could get some fluids in her enough to take some blood samples.

Okay, thanks just wanted to double check, because some got the right lighting however forget to exchange the bulb in time.

Hydration was a problem before? Eye sunken in around always dehydration and mostly mean more severe things, like an illness.

I think it comes down to the vet right now and hopefully she recovers to her own. However, if you wanna be sure about everything, you could do a husbandry check by filling out following form. Maybe with this something comes to light. Just copy / paste and provide your info.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
--------------
Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a vet.

I'm not seeing MBD so I'm not concerned about UVB, but I am seeing dehydration, so I understand why the vet is trying to get fluids into her.

I'm a little concerned about the artificial plants. Veileds are know to sample their plants, and artificial plants could possibly cause impaction. The X-rays should confirm or rule that out.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/reasons-why-real-chams-need-real-plants.115143/

How often are you misting, and for how long each time? This goes toward hydration & humidity,

Has she ever been tested for parasites?

Diet is not great; more variety would be healthier than just crickets.
1647959233419.png

No one here has a crystal ball, and while we all hope for the best, I'd also prepare yourself.

Best Wishes

When did she lay the eggs? Did she dig a hole and lay them in the hole and then fill it in?

How much do you feed her in a week normally?

Do you use any vitamin powder that has a prEformed source of vitamin A?

If you're basing the dehydration on the sunken eye, eyes can be sunken for more reasons than dehydration.
Showering her won't help with hydration unless she's is drinking the water while she's being showered. They don't absorb it through the skin.

You should also be using real non-toxic well washed both sides of the leaves in the cage as well...it would help with the humidity and avoid the risk of her becoming impacted by eating fake leaves that won't pass through her.
(BTW...They can live to be at least 7 years old...so she's not old yet.)

I hope the vet can figure out what to do for her. I hope she's not eggbound...but she doesn't look plump enough to be IMHO.
BTW...I'm not a vet...just giving you my opinion based on my own experience, that of others, and whatbive learned from reading, etc.

Based on her looks this is not dehydration. She is extremely underweight. I would get a fecal sample run to rule out parasite issues. I doubt she is eggbound based on her size. I hope you have her with an exotic vet that knows reptiles. Hopefully they are housing her correctly as well.

Just want to say, there are compact uvb bulbs and long linear uvb bulbs. What you want is the long linear uvb bulb. Maybe that’s what you have, I don’t know but just wanted to mention that. I’m really sorry your beautiful baby is sick and I wish you the best! Welcome to the forum, im sorry it’s under these conditions though.

Back
Top Bottom