Questionable RI treatment...

Canopy Chameleons

Established Member
Hey there, I'm currently babysitting a friends hatchling panther Cham while she's on holidays, but he has a RI, and I'm really questioning exactly what is going on here. I'd love some feedback on this situation, as I'm not really sure what to tell her. She thinks that the vets word is gold...

She purchased him from a breeder at a local reptile expo August 27. He was supposedly 9 weeks old. The day after she bought him she commented to me that it's so cute when he whistles at her. So, red flag, husbandry check and symptom check, and I sent her to the vet. So here we are and he's supposedly 13w old. He's SO SMALL. He weighs 2 grams. I'm calling bs on his age unless he's been sick his whole life. Here is the medication regimen he's been on for four weeks already, every day:
Sulphamethoxazone Antibiotics: 0.05ml orally daily (dilution rate is not listed)
Baytril Oral: 0.03ml orally daily (again, no dilution rate)
Vet days he'll need this treatment daily for several months?? That seems like it would do so much damage??

So besides putting him in a smaller enclosure (have suggested it) apparently her husbandry is good. Here while he's at my house I've been regulating and checking temps, humidity etc... Did have to give him a different basking bulb. Coil UV bulb as well...

So now he's got edema, and is having an issue with his one eye. Appetite is slowly going down. I'm not sure what to do for or tell this poor girl... She's spent hundreds and hundreds at the vet already ans he's just not getting better, but I dont feel that this vet is on the right track either....

Great thank you, I have his temps raised here, I'll just write down all the of necessary changes for her so it can be continued.

Do you think that all this excess medication will cause long term issues?

Back
Top Bottom