Question thread!

saradoggy10

Established Member
I'm preordering a female from kammer that will be ready in October. I have two enclosures set up and I want to make sure they're BOTH just right. (I'm getting a male in December but I wanted to get a female first so she feels prioritized and can have time to mature before a male is even in the same room)
I have a few questions and wanted to open up a thread in case I have some later as well.

Here's my cages. I have one 18x18 for the female and one 24x24 for the Male. Both reptibreeze and bioactive.
20200730_224003.jpg

20200730_223957.jpg

Now, the plants aren't finished growing yet so there will be a little bit more coverage, but my questions are about the basking spots.
For the 24x24x48 the lightning consist of one larger heat lamp hood with a 75W bulb, a double fixture fluorescent with two 6500k plant light, and a 24 inch T5HO reptisun fixture. The basking spot for the bigger cage is 10.5 inches away from the lights which are rested on the screen.

For the 18x18x36 cage I have a double fixture with one T5HO and one 6500k plant light along with a smaller heat lamp dome with another 75W bulb. Both also resting on the screen 8 inches from the basking spot

Should the lights be elevated? If so by how much? Do you have any more suggestions for my enclosure?

more questions may come so feel free to ask your own, hijack the forum, or wait around to answer questions

Last edited:
" will be ready in October " lol still in production...

" Should the lights be elevated? If so by how much? "
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

About the only question is why you didnt set up 2 24x24x48 cages. You put in a lot of effort, but in feb, you are going to have 2 chams that are going to be the same size +-20%.

My only concern for the whole setup is that moss better be "living". Its going to get snacked on from time to time...

" will be ready in October " lol still in production...

" Should the lights be elevated? If so by how much? "
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

About the only question is why you didnt set up 2 24x24x48 cages. You put in a lot of effort, but in feb, you are going to have 2 chams that are going to be the same size +-20%.

My only concern for the whole setup is that moss better be "living". Its going to get snacked on from time to time...
It's real moss, and it ended up falling down anyway.
Im getting a male and a female. The female goes in the slightly smaller one. Just trying to save a small bit of space while keeping them in one size above the minimum.
Also I saw that chart but I'd like a second opinion as well, I tried to replicate it but I got a little confused somewhere along the way.

I do just have an apartment and if I'll have a clutch someday I'll need the extra space haha. Unlimited space is the goal someday, but for now my darling chameleon will have to live in her smaller condominium.

It's real moss, and it ended up falling down anyway.
Im getting a male and a female. The female goes in the slightly smaller one. Just trying to save a small bit of space while keeping them in one size above the minimum.
Also I saw that chart but I'd like a second opinion as well, I tried to replicate it but I got a little confused somewhere along the way.

My opinion is if you can keep the cham from getting within 5" of the bulb (aka hanging from the screen) you dont have to float the bulb 5" above the screen. This also works out because it puts the "good zone" more mid tank if its sitting directly on the screen.

Gone are the T8 days when the anoles could just cling directly under the bulb and bath :)

My opinion is if you can keep the cham from getting within 5" of the bulb (aka hanging from the screen) you dont have to float the bulb 5" above the screen. This also works out because it puts the "good zone" more mid tank if its sitting directly on the screen.

Gone are the T8 days when the anoles could just cling directly under the bulb and bath :)
Thank you! I think I'll keep watch for that specifically as my cham grows. The moment she reaches up and gets within 3 inches of the bulb I'll elevate them. (If she ever does get to that point)
The bulbs should not get hot enough to cause an easy burn so I have that on my side in case of a freak accident.
Just wanted to get the thumbs up on my enclosure and it seems I might be doing OK!

'IF"? As I understand it, you're getting a female—there will be clutches. :)

Is this the big panther breeding project?

By panthers? :unsure:
Haha I wouldn't say "big" but yeah im the one working on the panther project. Currently illustrating Ambilobe types.
On that topic do you know anyone who owns any YBRB ambilobe or more green body ones?
I only like to draw a chameleon if I have the owner's permission.

I also wanted to make this thread to ask a whole bunch of egg questions as well, but since that's months and months away I'll probably wait at least until I get the female to bother everyone for the most up-to-date answers

Haha I wouldn't say "big" but yeah im the one working on the panther project. Currently illustrating Ambilobe types.
On that topic do you know anyone who owns any YBRB ambilobe or more green body ones?
I'm still in the process of figuring out what all those initials mean. I haven't settled on a locale yet.
I want to get my enclosure up & running correctly first, and there have been delays in delivery. :(

I also wanted to make this thread to ask a whole bunch of egg questions as well, but since that's months and months away I'll probably wait at least until I get the female to bother everyone for the most up-to-date answers
IDK, but that might be better left for a different thread in the Chameleon Breeding forum. :unsure:

I'm still in the process of figuring out what all those initials mean. I haven't settled on a locale yet.
I want to get my enclosure up & running correctly first, and there have been delays in delivery. :(

IDK, but that might be better left for a different thread in the Chameleon Breeding forum. :unsure:
They mean things like "Yellow body blue bar"
Ambilobe come in a lot of different colors but the more I look the more noticeable the differences in locales are.
Im shooting for ambanja because im a sucker for pastels. If you like bright I'd go for Ambilobe, if you like BLUE or cotton candy I'd go for nosy be or nosy faly
And if you like tacos go for sambava
Here's my latest YBBB illustration. Im trying to draw the most obvious colored Ambilobe
Untitled62_20200730135025.png

'IF"? As I understand it, you're getting a female—there will be clutches. :)

Is this the big panther breeding project?

By panthers? :unsure:

Yup. We have has several "panther nibbler reports" even in the last few weeks on the forums. I think its like dogs eating grass, they dont want to, but they will just to mess with the owners. That and panthers are known bark chewers as well.

Yup. We have has several "panther nibbler reports" even in the last few weeks on the forums. I think its like dogs eating grass, they dont want to, but they will just to mess with the owners. That and panthers are known bark chewers as well.
Anything I would have posted would've been a month or two ago. I'll make sure to not bother anyone with my questions but I appreciate any that are answered.
Recently just talked to the owner of iperdalis, with their great YBBB breeding project and another with a RBBB project. Trying to gather info on color genetics and boy is it complicated

Thank you! I think I'll keep watch for that specifically as my cham grows. The moment she reaches up and gets within 3 inches of the bulb I'll elevate them. (If she ever does get to that point)
The bulbs should not get hot enough to cause an easy burn so I have that on my side in case of a freak accident.
Just wanted to get the thumbs up on my enclosure and it seems I might be doing OK!

its not a hot bulb problem. Outside sunny day is UVI 6.5 in north america. Hanging from the screen directly under a T5HO that is sitting on the screen, its UVI 50+. I use my spare bulbs/hood to UV cure epoxy at work by just sliding it directly under the bulb.

They mean things like "Yellow body blue bar"
:LOL: I'm not that far behind. I know they're color codes; I just haven't committed them all to memory yet.

And if you like tacos go for sambava
:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the tips!

Once I get the enclosure up, I'll be looking more seriously at colors & locales; the variety is (to me) overwhelming.

Thanks. Good to know.

:LOL: I'm not that far behind. I know they're color codes; I just haven't committed them all to memory yet.

:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the tips!

Once I get the enclosure up, I'll be looking more seriously at colors & locales; the variety is (to me) overwhelming.
Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out how many colors there are ?
The variety really is crazy, that's why im trying to make a chart so no one has to go through the same confused week as I did

WHAT:eek: I have a T5 10.0 in my beardie-box, and right next to the bulb I only get a UVI of ~25.

So only 5x terrestrial lol. But even Bill Strand " within an inch or two of these artificial UVB lamps you can easily see UVI 40 or even up past 150 where one has to wonder how accurate the meter is! "

The 6.5 meter has a limit of 200 i believe.

And if you are bored, you may find that at the 1-2" mark, is higher than the sensor shoved on the bulb, since your are now getting the effect of the reflector.

So only 5x terrestrial lol. But even Bill Strand " within an inch or two of these artificial UVB lamps you can easily see UVI 40 or even up past 150 where one has to wonder how accurate the meter is! "

The 6.5 meter has a limit of 200 i believe.

And if you are bored, you may find that at the 1-2" mark, is higher than the sensor shoved on the bulb, since your are now getting the effect of the reflector.
I don't have a reflector. I got one of the bad ones before they told people about the risks of flipping them. It shattered. :(
But I still got the reading of 25. IDK how anyone could get higher than 50—even with a reflector, especially with a 5.0 chameleon bulb.

Back
Top Bottom