Question: Summertime Humidity Blues

MissLissa

Avid Member
So, in my area (northern Canada) we've had a horrible heat wave. It's reached over 48C (118F), with humidity in the 80-100% range. I don't remember a summer like this ever before, to tell you the truth. It's brutal. -40C (-40F) I know what to do with, but I have no idea how to beat the heat!

I have a cheap air conditioning unit that I am running full time, with a dehumidifier also running 24-7, but my low temp in my 3 month old pardalis cage is still reading 78F, which is a touch high for my liking. I ended up lowering his heat bulb to a 10w incandescent decorative lamp thing to keep his basking temp at 82F. The humidity, though, is off the freaking charts- it rests at 75-80%, even with the dehumidifier right next to his all-screen cage, and with the air conditioning running, AND a small desk fan pointed in his direction (not directly at him, I'm sure he wouldn't like that). When I run his dripper for him to drink, the humidity spikes up to 90 or 100%! He has been very dark coloured since yesterday, but is still active and hunting his crickets and pooping and throwing me shade every chance he gets. I've only had him just over a week, though, so I'm still getting used to his routine. I'm measuring temperature and humidity constantly with digital probes, and a temperature gun to spot-check.

So far, I've cut the mistings out entirely, and am running his dripper 2x a day for only 15 minutes. He will drink from a syringe, so I've been offering him syringes 2x a day instead of once a day but he usually only takes the syringe first thing in the morning. I am a bit worried that he will dehydrate (though I'm not sure how since we can more or less drink the air here!).

I am from the frozen north (we've got permafrost... or, you know, we HAD permafrost, heh) so I am kind of out of my element. What the heck do you more southern-types do to keep the heat and humidity down?

Some pics of him:

Here he is, how he's looked all of today and most of yesterday. He just seems to want to bask (and eat his crickets). He's not been this dark for this long since I first brought him home.
vlad4.jpg

He was even this dark when he was hunting his crickets, which is really unusual; usually he goes a kind of psychedelic white-with-black-pattern when hunting. Hunting a cricket:
vlad3.jpg

Close up of his face, just in case anyone thinks he looks dehydrated (I don't think so, but he's my first chameleon so maybe I'm missing it)
vlad.jpg

FYI, I am also apparently a chameleon hypochondriac. I am constantly convinced he is about to drop dead. I'm not usually like that, but with him I am!

I can only offer information based on what I have experienced with mine... he is just over 6 months and his gradient temp hovers around 80-85 with his basking spot around 90-95... I've only seen and heard of them going dark like that when they are not warm enough.. I could be wrong but that's the only time mine has gone dark and not really wanting to move about... I would try raising your temps about 5-10 deg to see if that helps...
I have no suggestions on the humidity issue.. I have to create ways to raise mine... I wish I could be more help...hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and offer more or even better advise....

Southern Ontario here ;) I know were not at hot with our weather right nw but with the constant 30c type weather, for tonight I had to set up Pascal in his older cage so he can hopefully cool down and sleep cause his new one just got way too hot :( Poor guys.

So, in my area (northern Canada) we've had a horrible heat wave. It's reached over 48C (118F), with humidity in the 80-100% range. I don't remember a summer like this ever before, to tell you the truth. It's brutal. -40C (-40F) I know what to do with, but I have no idea how to beat the heat!

I have a cheap air conditioning unit that I am running full time, with a dehumidifier also running 24-7, but my low temp in my 3 month old pardalis cage is still reading 78F, which is a touch high for my liking. I ended up lowering his heat bulb to a 10w incandescent decorative lamp thing to keep his basking temp at 82F. The humidity, though, is off the freaking charts- it rests at 75-80%, even with the dehumidifier right next to his all-screen cage, and with the air conditioning running, AND a small desk fan pointed in his direction (not directly at him, I'm sure he wouldn't like that). When I run his dripper for him to drink, the humidity spikes up to 90 or 100%! He has been very dark coloured since yesterday, but is still active and hunting his crickets and pooping and throwing me shade every chance he gets. I've only had him just over a week, though, so I'm still getting used to his routine. I'm measuring temperature and humidity constantly with digital probes, and a temperature gun to spot-check.

So far, I've cut the mistings out entirely, and am running his dripper 2x a day for only 15 minutes. He will drink from a syringe, so I've been offering him syringes 2x a day instead of once a day but he usually only takes the syringe first thing in the morning. I am a bit worried that he will dehydrate (though I'm not sure how since we can more or less drink the air here!).

I am from the frozen north (we've got permafrost... or, you know, we HAD permafrost, heh) so I am kind of out of my element. What the heck do you more southern-types do to keep the heat and humidity down?

If you keep the air exchange going that's going to help a lot. High humidity on its own isn't terrible, its high humidity with NO air movement that can eventually cause trouble. After all, their wild habitat goes through very humid cycles with very little drying from day to night. You can manage the temps by offering a short morning bask and turning the basking light off before the room gets too hot. To cool the cage down more at night get some re-usable picnic cooler cold packs and put them on top of the cage. Cool air will sink and lower the cage temp a bit directly below.

Thanks, you guys! I really appreciate all the help. He is still a little dark today, but ate and pooped and seems active and happy, so I'll just keep on keeping on.

That cool pack idea is brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom