Question on nails

tracysimpson

I have a two year old ambilobe female chameleon shes has a hard time climbing because her nails are dull,my question is there anyway to get them back sharp?? She's been in my care since February. She healthy other wise eats just fine

I think your only option is to change the size of her primary perches so she can grip them better. If you get smaller diameter branches she can wrap more of her toe around them and won't be as dependent on her claws.

Does she have a problem on all surfaces? Oft times they will have trouble with very smooth surfaces such as bamboo. You could try something thinner with more rough surfaces to aid with grip.

I've tried everything she climbs best on sticks but she still falls sometimes. I feel so bad for her just wish there was something I could do to help her:(

Maybe a few more horizontal paths would help her. I'm wondering if she had some issues prior to you caring for her that would cause the issue. Do you hold her? Hows her grip?

Can you see them?

They don't look quite as sharp as my boy's but she should still be able to hold on pretty well. Its almost like she was kept in an enclosure with sand perches to dull the nails. (I hope not! :eek:) I'm guessing they will grow out and become sharper soon enough, but I don't have any personal experience with this.

shes doesnt have a good grip at all its almost like she doesnt even try,she will be climbing and reach for a branch not even have it and still go and fall. i bought her in a local pet shop that had them all in a open range tree she it never crossed my mind she couldnt climb. Its been the same since day i called them after i got her because i had a screen cage and she kept tring to climb on it and falling he told me to add bamboo well that didnt work i had her in a glass tank and i just felt bad for her bc i know glass tanks arent healthy for them. so i just put her back in a screen cage i mean she was still falling in the glass tank. so thats why i have so much stuff in her cage now that way when she falls she wont fall all the way to the bottom or on a hard glass tank. ive just ran out of opitions that i can do.

I'm thinking a vet visit may be the best option. Sounds like a nutritional issue or something more than just dull nails to me. You may want to line the bottom of the enclosure with some towels to prevent injury if she does fall.

Did you ask the pet store how long they had her and what supplements she was on? You may need this info when you go to the vet. ;) It could also help you figure out what else could be going on.

Did you ask the pet store how long they had her and what supplements she was on? You may need this info when you go to the vet. ;) It could also help you figure out what else could be going on.

no i didnt i wish i would have. This is one of the main reasons i dont buy from pet shops anymore!! i looked at that post im gonna check into anything to help her.

I was just searching for a picture of some mesh that can be used to aid with climbing and found this post. https://www.chameleonforums.com/strange-poop-lazy-grip-missing-nails-help-9645/#post76529 It shows some screen that would be easier to grab. Might be an option if she needs help getting around.

Yeah I do this on my cages as well, not that specific type of fencing, but I use one similar to this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-2-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Home-Fence-783060/100384024#.UZKQ8rV4KnI
it works really well, In the enclosures, I have 3 of the 4 walls lined with it (hanging down from the top with bead wire) with only the front door wall not having it. The chameleons seem to appreciate it as well, when they want to climb on the wall, they have nice thick plastic fencing to hold onto instead of trying to crab onto and into thin screen material. I have also seen my chameleons fall off of just the plain screen, but I have yet to see them fall off of the plastic fencing (knock on wood lol).

But besides all that, I would also take her to the vet, something else seems to be at play

Yeah I do this on my cages as well, not that specific type of fencing, but I use one similar to this
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tenax-2-ft-x-25-ft-Green-Home-Fence-783060/100384024#.UZKQ8rV4KnI
it works really well, In the enclosures, I have 3 of the 4 walls lined with it (hanging down from the top with bead wire) with only the front door wall not having it. The chameleons seem to appreciate it as well, when they want to climb on the wall, they have nice thick plastic fencing to hold onto instead of trying to crab onto and into thin screen material. I have also seen my chameleons fall off of just the plain screen, but I have yet to see them fall off of the plastic fencing (knock on wood lol).

cool thanks. new project this weekend

Back
Top Bottom