Question for people who raise worms.

timw1

Chameleon Enthusiast
I guess I have to start raising worms. I raise dubias and have enough to feed all of Madagascar and then some. Which are easier to raise, hornworms or silkworms? I buy them a lot, and would like to start raising them myself. I have only one cham, any pointers or advise?

I only have experience with the hornworms there really easy you can buy hornworm chow online get a small repti breeze and a hummingbird feeder and your done.sexing the cocoon is a breeze and if you give the enough light (15hrs-17hrs) when there worms and keep them warm it’s really fast around three weeks in the cocoon I have my lil cousin do it for me they have 100 to 150 babies

You can put them in a fridge to stop the growth. I do that and when I want to feed a couple I take them out and let them warm up so they are active and moving to get my Cham excited. They actually don't need to move much because he gets excited at the site of them. Haha

When I had only one chameleon I would buy silk worm eggs that were shipped with ice packs so they arrived cold. Once they get to room temperature for too long you have to hatch them out. I kept them in the fridge and only hatched out 50 or so at a time to keep their numbers reasonable. Only problem is the longer they are refrigerated the lower the hatch rate so you have to balance it out. Keep them fed and keep them away from their poop and mold and they do alright.
This thread got me started. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/silkworms-care.153416/

I want to try silks again. The first time my Cham didn't want anything to do with them for some reason. I though he would go after them like the horns but horns appear to be a candy to them.

Back
Top Bottom