Question for bug-folk

That isn't a lubber. Lubbers are very obvious with their black/yellow/orange coloration. They are also very fat and slow-moving. If you have a closer picture of the one you caught, I can ID it.

That isn't a lubber. Lubbers are very obvious with their black/yellow/orange coloration. They are also very fat and slow-moving. If you have a closer picture of the one you caught, I can ID it.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any more photos. After the first my phone died. Then I was in too much of a hurry to just get rid of it. It was just too big and hard bodied for my guys. Best I can do is cropping the original. I've seen the specific lubber you mention - they grow huge here. Just figured it wasn't really worth keeping.

I do really appreciate your reply however. Thanks.

20190910_162510.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get any more photos. After the first my phone died. Then I was in too much of a hurry to just get rid of it. It was just too big and hard bodied for my guys. Best I can do is cropping the original. I've seen the specific lubber you mention - they grow huge here. Just figured it wasn't really worth keeping.

I do really appreciate your reply however. Thanks.

View attachment 245643
NP, looks like Schistocerca damnifica.

Oh really? It's a "Carolina locust"...? Hmm, dang these bugs! Looks right like the photos and very possible. I do really appreciate the tip, thanks!
Oh no, not Carolina locust/grasshopper (Dissosteira carolina). Schistocerca damnifica is the Mischievous Bird Grasshopper, and is a little bigger/meatier. https://bugguide.net/node/view/15597
If the jumping legs seem too hard for your chams, you can always pop them off pretty easily by pinching the knee joint. They'll just drop the whole leg as a defense.

Oh no, not Carolina locust/grasshopper (Dissosteira carolina). Schistocerca damnifica is the Mischievous Bird Grasshopper, and is a little bigger/meatier. https://bugguide.net/node/view/15597
If the jumping legs seem too hard for your chams, you can always pop them off pretty easily by pinching the knee joint. They'll just drop the whole leg as a defense.
Funny you mention this... myself and another forum member were having a discussion about evolutionary behavior [possibly]. I've noticed my Male will seemingly chew the leg such that it triggers that response in Katydids. It is DEFINITELY meatier.

Appreciate it, again!

Hey @SauceGandhi is this a bird hopper? These things are quite tanky!! My beardie is the only one capable, but the younger ones may be doable? received_406648606713555.jpeg received_437777300421556.jpeg

Thanks in advance!!

Back
Top Bottom