Question about yellow-crested Jackson’s

Gordita0405

Established Member
Hi all. Hope you are enjoying the festive holiday season. So my Bf called and said he went to to one of the biggest reptile store in Taipei( Taiwan)to check out their new imported yellow crested Jacksons from Hawaii. He said he found a very gentle guy that’s 11 month old and had put a deposit on just incase we want to add him as a new member of our family but the final call it’s up to me ! :oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::unsure::oops:
As I only am a newbie cham taker for my panther P for 6 months, I am a little nervous to take on a Jackson... despite how pretty they are. Since we built P a walk-in enclosure in the back balcony, we have one indoor and one outdoor ( 1.2m x 1.2m x 1.8m enclosure empty right now fully set up.

The shop told my bf he is from a breeder in Hawaii but I am not convinced and ask more detail questions when I go check it out. I would love to have some help on any tips for picking Jacksons and also any important questions I should ask about him. PS. Here are some pictures, I would really appreciated if any experienced Jackson owner could give me your thoughts thank you :)
A43DC376-669B-4D01-87F0-796AC75C3825.jpeg

This is P’s new walk-in enclosure.
CBA39BD9-BAD7-42FC-B716-71A4C849DA9D.jpeg
3D5D03F2-68BE-491E-AF26-EF78FFC0998F.jpeg
A0CA4F64-A534-41E5-A5BD-F8C4D1D1C69D.jpeg
175CDC3A-054D-4E95-B0D9-18FBDA88E9A2.jpeg

The color on that Xanth male is awesome!

What info are you looking for? I'm surprised that they are Hawaiian's as I had been reading that the islands had stopped the export of them to prevent them from getting on the wrong plane and inhabiting other Hawaiian islands that they didn't already inhabit.

What size indoor enclosure would you be able to fit? You'd be looking at a 18x18x36 for him at that size and that 'can' work for him as an adult, though depending on his overall size as an adult you may want to go larger.

The color on that Xanth male is awesome!

What info are you looking for? I'm surprised that they are Hawaiian's as I had been reading that the islands had stopped the export of them to prevent them from getting on the wrong plane and inhabiting other Hawaiian islands that they didn't already inhabit.

What size indoor enclosure would you be able to fit? You'd be looking at a 18x18x36 for him at that size and that 'can' work for him as an adult, though depending on his overall size as an adult you may want to go larger.
Exactly!!!That’s why I am a little hesitant on the fact that they are from Hawaii !!! I have an indoor enclosure that is 180x 60x 40 cm and an outdoor one that’s 180x 120 x120 cm. Both will work for him but I think if possible outdoor will be more suitable ! Unless the weather is too hot or if there’s typhoon. I read that they are good for outdoors :) please correct me if I wrong or add any suggestions or tips.

I would like to make sure he is CB,otherwise I don’t think it’s suitable as I am not that experience yet. Another thing is I worry if I am able to provide the good temperature difference for him ... winter is good for outdoors as today the highest is 77 and lowest is 63 at night. But in summer it gets to high 80s and night is around 70s. If he needs lower temperature at night I will need to bring him in for AC. Just trying to figure out if I am able to provide the best environment for him other wise I will sit this one out. I am very happy and content with my P ( 10 month old panther).

You mentioned you have two enclosures available. You have two that are unused by the panther you already have?

You are correct that they need cooler temps, preferably a drop in the low 60's at night. Some people have great weather to keep them out doors, butbothers have seasons that they keep them outdoors and then bring them in for others. Everything is manageable for them as long as you're able to put the time and effort into them.

You mentioned you have two enclosures available. You have two that are unused by the panther you already have?

You are correct that they need cooler temps, preferably a drop in the low 60's at night. Some people have great weather to keep them out doors, butbothers have seasons that they keep them outdoors and then bring them in for others. Everything is manageable for them as long as you're able to put the time and effort into them.
Yes I have two enclosures one inside and one outside both unused and ready to use. As my panther has moved to his big boy enclosure( as pictured before ) now I have two old ones free and both in good size!

Just checked the Hawaii government website ” It is illegal to transport these animals between islands or to commercially export to the mainland.” I will definitely ask more about where he is from now.

Likely it is wild caught It could be bred from wild caught but that is illegal also. I'm fairly certain that both export and breeding go on but enforcement is lax and export for personal pets allowed. Some members here have done that in the past.
Either way if you proceed a parasite check up would be necessary.
There are times of the year that mine do not get an overnight drop down to 60 F but I do manage to get them at least to 68 or lower consistently.
He would need to spend his summers in the AC day and night.

Back
Top Bottom