question about super worms

whysoez420

New Member
i currently feed my baby cham phoenix worms and crickets but on my next order i plan to get some super worms as well. are they pretty good for chams in terms of nutrition ect? also the site i'm getting them from sells bedding/food in one as well, do they need any other food or anything? i have pounds of cricket crack, wondering if that will work as anything. and can i just put them in a small tupperware container without them getting out or anything? any and all help is always greatly appreciated.
 

Dgood

Established Member
I keep mine in a 1 1/2 inch tall Tupperware container and they stay in there just fine. I gut load my supers with everything I gut load my crickets with, but I wouldn't use cricket crack or anything like that. Is cricket crack any good? I've been thinking about ordering some because no where in town sells it, and Internet prices are pretty pricey so I wanna make sure it's worth it:)
 
you can gutload them with all the things that you gutload crickets with, and the moisture of the gutload will be needed to keep them long term and will add to their nutritional level

A number of people use them as a staple, they're better than mealworms in terms of nutrition (which are basically void of any real levels) but still not the best. They're a bit higher in fat than a lot of the other go-to feeders, but can certainly be worked into the diet for variety

bran or oatmeal both work as a bedding/food, and should be replaced every month or so depending on die-off
 

whysoez420

New Member
ok thanks guys. i'm just ordering 100 to start off.
as for cricket crack, it's great. crickets love it.
and the reason i suggested cricket crack is because it's kind of oatsy but i guess the supers need something thicker.
 

deerharvester

Established Member
You don't want to exclusively feed them, but they're a great addition and they are maintenance free. You have to watch they don't become addicted. I recall there being a very accomplished breeder that exclusively fed supers, being mentioned On here a while ago. I don't suggest that feed them more than 20%.
 

nick barta

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
I keep mine in a 1 1/2 inch tall Tupperware container and they stay in there just fine. I gut load my supers with everything I gut load my crickets with, but I wouldn't use cricket crack or anything like that. Is cricket crack any good? I've been thinking about ordering some because no where in town sells it, and Internet prices are pretty pricey so I wanna make sure it's worth it:)

Best dry gutload out there-check the ingredients on the bad...

Steve also makes a superworm chow, a bit cheaper he is SSimsmiSS (or close to that)
I buy from him, I beleive it is cheaper and ALWAYS just made. Keeep it in fridge, lasts a long time.

Nick
 

nick barta

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
i currently feed my baby cham phoenix worms and crickets but on my next order i plan to get some super worms as well. are they pretty good for chams in terms of nutrition ect? also the site i'm getting them from sells bedding/food in one as well, do they need any other food or anything? i have pounds of cricket crack, wondering if that will work as anything. and can i just put them in a small tupperware container without them getting out or anything? any and all help is always greatly appreciated.

Put them in Oats (I buy Quaker Oats at the grocery store) in Bran they stink quickly.
Look at ordering Super Chow from Steve (SSimsmiSS or close to that), it is a little cheaper than his Cricket Crack.
Every few weeks I take the worms and oats and place them in a screen strainer (kitchen type) and shake it so all the waste falls through.

I put Super Chow in a plastic lid about 3 inches wide with a 1/4 inch or less edge on top of the oats, so they can crawl in and eat, but I don't loose all the SF when I put them in the srainer.

I add water cubes when I am traveling, and THIN cuts of cucumber, yellow squash, and zuchinni when I am in town.

Any plastic container works, for 1,000 i use a 10 x 5x 4 inch tall.

Supers are easy.....Last 4 ever.
 

clyde1985

New Member
i use supers as a steady diet . if supers should only be 20% of diet because of fat, what would you all recommend the other 80 % be ? thanks for advice. im worried i was steered wrong by a breeder :(
 

whysoez420

New Member
i use supers as a steady diet . if supers should only be 20% of diet because of fat, what would you all recommend the other 80 % be ? thanks for advice. im worried i was steered wrong by a breeder :(

i would assume crickets, phoenix worms, silk worms, roaches if you can get them ect.
 

sandrachameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
i use supers as a steady diet . if supers should only be 20% of diet because of fat, what would you all recommend the other 80 % be ? thanks for advice. im worried i was steered wrong by a breeder :(


crickets and roaches are cheap and easy to gutload.
silkworms are a bit more expensive, but worth it
Butterworms are decent
indian walking sticks, termites, terrestrial isopods, moths, blue bottle flies, soldier fly maggots (aka calci or pheonix worms), etc
the more variety, the better

a chameleon that has a diet heavy on supers may at first refuse to eat other prey (like a child who prefers candy to vegetables). It may take some commitment on your part to ensure he starts eating better. :)
 

tony19

Member
Ive bread both mealies and supers. I used to use oats but I found they hold to much moister. So I moved to brain I find It works better its like $1 for a bag at the grocery store. The one thing you have to watch is what ever you use for bedding you don't let it get to moist or you'll have mites and never put them in the fridge. You don't need to buy feed from the place. you buy them from if you don't want to. But thats up to you :)
 

whysoez420

New Member
Ive bread both mealies and supers. I used to use oats but I found they hold to much moister. So I moved to brain I find It works better its like $1 for a bag at the grocery store. The one thing you have to watch is what ever you use for bedding you don't let it get to moist or you'll have mites and never put them in the fridge. You don't need to buy feed from the place. you buy them from if you don't want to. But thats up to you :)

thanks, ill do that for sure :)
 

tony19

Member
And all you need for a container is one of those shoe bins from home Depot. That's what I use and there only about a $1 or 2 and I just melt holes in the top of them for air. Or any bin that's taller then them works. If its smooth you don't need a lid
 
Top Bottom