Question About Shedding with MBD

nicolie85

My little trooper, Buddy, is on the slow road to recovery from MBD. He has been battling MBD for about three months now and is working on regaining his strength. During the first month and a half I had him before MBD, he had shed twice completely. Ever since becoming sick he hasn't shed at all. I know that his body is trying to play catch-up, but I was wondering when he might shed again. That would be the ultimate sign of him truly becoming healthy again. If anyone with a chameleon suffering from MBD could answer my question I would be most thankful. Also, he is now about six months old and is a veiled chameleon.

How old is your Cham?

Shedding will vary with growth so another variable to watch is Weight. If you cham's weight has not increase the likehood of a shed will go down. Also as chams get older the number and freq of sheds dec.

Glad to hear you Cham is doing better?

OPI

I find that my little guy sheds in sections. There doesn't seem to be any time frame for it. As long as he is eating and gaining strength back he is doing well. It will take lots of time to make a full recovery so hang in there.

three months battling MBD is a long time ! my veild had MBD and i had him completely turned around in 3 weeks. he will shead again when his body gets big enough. shedding is not something you should go by in determining (sp) his over all health. if he is eating and drinking on his own and his poo looks like it is good and he is not dehydrated, and you are still giving him his calcium regiment then he should be fine. he will shead when it is time.

Thanks for the responses. When I say battling MBD, I mean that he still looks like he is recovering. He eats perfectly on his own, I see him go straight for the water dripper every morning, his poop is looking good and his legs are healing themeselves. Boy what a little grump he has turned into though. I don't think he will ever like or trust me for all of the treatments I had to give. I figured that shedding would be my last sign of him being happy and healthy.

I have a veiled who is also recovering, i dont htink it really affects his shedding too much since he just completed another one. maybe it just might be an age thing and he is slowing down a bit.

I personally don't think that 3 months ... bones don't re-knit overnight, especially with severe cases. Ever since MBD herm hasn't shed well ... she sheds occasionally, but usually can't shed hsi whole skin by himself ... little patches get stuck and I have to gently help him. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with his MBD or not though.

Yeah! Spoke too soon

I went to give my little booger some crickets this morning and I noticed his knees were beginning to shed. This is his first shed in months! I am so excited to see him growing and improving. Next week I am taking him to the vet for a fecal and an update on his overall health. His progress was slow but I am finally starting to feel like a good mom :)

Start of Shedding a truly healthy sign!!

Nicolie,
Great to hear the good news that your C. is showing signs of shedding again! Again, all your C.'s internal energy was used to recover from MBD and and that in itself is a stressor to his system!
Now, he's starting the road to recovery again and his energy can used towards healthy growth which means shedding again! As you know, sick C. stop shedding until they are healthy again!
You're very lucky that your C. has recovered or in the process of recovering from MBD....Good luck to the road to recovery!

Christine

Back
Top Bottom