Question about parasites

Malepanther123

Hi,
Recently my dogs have a case of roundworms an this past summer had Giardia. There sometimes in same room as my chameleons. Can they be passed on to chameleons. My vet said no but in rare cases maybe. They don't come in contact with one another. Just trying figure out how parasites work. Know a bearded dragon has a parasite but is only dangerous if the count is high. It's called coccidia. Thinking chameleons can get this. But was told its passed on to chameleons though feeders. Just trying get a idea on how to avoid parasites with my chameleons. Can transplanted plants give them as well.

By no means am I well versed in parasites. However, I do know some of the more common ways they are transmitted. Let’s say your dog has pinworms and poops in your house. You clean it up, don’t wash your hands and then hand feed your chameleon…good chance of transmission. You give your beardie some crickets but he doesn’t eat them all. His enclosure wasn’t cleaned thoroughly from his recent poop and crickets are walking all over that area. Later you notice the crickets and not wanting to waste them, put them back in your cricket bin. Eventually those crickets are fed to your chameleon…transmission risk. Handling one reptile, not washing your hands and then handling another is also transmission risk. Hand washing, disposIng of uneaten feeders (or putting aside to give to same animal later) and just general good hygiene should always be practiced with all animals (Including human ones).

By no means am I well versed in parasites. However, I do know some of the more common ways they are transmitted. Let’s say your dog has pinworms and poops in your house. You clean it up, don’t wash your hands and then hand feed your chameleon…good chance of transmission. You give your beardie some crickets but he doesn’t eat them all. His enclosure wasn’t cleaned thoroughly from his recent poop and crickets are walking all over that area. Later you notice the crickets and not wanting to waste them, put them back in your cricket bin. Eventually those crickets are fed to your chameleon…transmission risk. Handling one reptile, not washing your hands and then handling another is also transmission risk. Hand washing, disposIng of uneaten feeders (or putting aside to give to same animal later) and just general good hygiene should always be practiced with all animals (Including human ones).
All good info except pinworms are species specific so luckily almost impossible to spread around. But just substitute that for coccidia and it’s golden advice. :)

Now I'm confused. :confused: My understanding has been that coccidia is also host-specific.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=is+coccidia+species+specific?
While this is theoretically true the coccidia species that affects reptiles may be able to spread to other species of similar reptiles. Dog won't go to reptile but we see coccidia affecting multiple species of similar reptiles in close quarters with each other quite commonly when there is poor sanitation. It has not been studied well enough to know if the Isospora affecting a chameleon is a different Isospora than one affecting a beardie, especially when stressed and immunosuppresed. So dog coccidia cannot transfer to reptile - here is where I probably caused confusion because I was intending to refer to coccidia from the beardie being possibly infective to a chameleon but in the reply to the quote I didn't specify that versus the dog. To be safe, assume that reptiles can spread their cooties when it comes to coccidia and nematodes as it has not been definitively proven otherwise.

While this is theoretically true the coccidia species that affects reptiles may be able to spread to other species of similar reptiles. Dog won't go to reptile but we see coccidia affecting multiple species of similar reptiles in close quarters with each other quite commonly when there is poor sanitation. It has not been studied well enough to know if the Isospora affecting a chameleon is a different Isospora than one affecting a beardie, especially when stressed and immunosuppresed. So dog coccidia cannot transfer to reptile - here is where I probably caused confusion because I was intending to refer to coccidia from the beardie being possibly infective to a chameleon but in the reply to the quote I didn't specify that versus the dog. To be safe, assume that reptiles can spread their cooties when it comes to coccidia and nematodes as it has not been definitively proven otherwise.
Thanks for the clarification.

I always assume the worst with critter cooties. Fecals on all our reptiles have been clear, but we've been through coccidia with the last puppy (years ago, and there's not been any interspecial contact).

Back
Top Bottom