question about live plants.

whysoez420

I plan on getting 2 live plants for my 2x2x4 cage. What would you guys suggest to be best for that size of cage?

I'd get a tall umbrella plant or a tall ficus. Preferably 3.5' tall so that they don't totally crowd the cage but provide foliage. If it were me I'd only get 1 plant because I don't like pots crowding the cage.

Will 4 fit? Ill do it if so. Youve been answering alot of my questions accurately so I'm up for your advice.

They will, if you get the right sizes, and place them correctly.

Everything in the cage should have a gradient.

Heating, UVB, RH, and density of foliage.

I like a wetter, dense area where the majority of the nozzles are pointed at on the left side, and a sparser dryer area with basking light on the right.

Id recommend a hibiscus in the back left corner, and in the center of the cage. Then you can hang one pothos, and run its vines sort of spread out, and place the other pothos on the ground, and run its vines up.

Youll also want some sticks and or vines in there.

You could substitute the corner pothos for a parlor palm. It will provide cover, and keep water from escaping the cage. They are good plants to use, and while they are climbable, they dont offer as many climbing surfaces as a hibiscus or ficus.

Ficus is good if you can find an appropriate one. THey tend to be too large, or too small. In my experience at least.

Japanese maple is awesome, but Ive not tried keeping one indoors.

If you use hibiscus, youll want at least one 6500K light, Id recommend two. They need alot of light.

The sheffleras tend to get over watered easily, and die. I also just dont like the look of them. :rolleyes: They are ok though, and cheap. Probably best suited for a younger chameleon though, due to branch structure/layout.

Youll want clearings in your cage to some extent, but you also want the chameleon to be able to get to every part of the cage, as every square inch will provide them with different temp/UVB/RH/cover. Itss your job to provide these gradients, then the chameleon will take care of itself. ;)

Taking in to account the size of the chameleon is important. You want a multitude of different sized branches available. This will make sure they develop a good muscle structure and such. You dont want them too small, or too large though. The chameleon must be able to use them, and youll want to make sure and provide appropriate climbing surfaces as the chameleon grows. The size of the chameleon also dictates how dense and sparse you can get with things. A 3 month old panther may fit nicely in the depths of a freshly purchased shefflera, but a year old panther will only be able to cross over it, and with all the grace of a drunken elephant falling through a bamboo field. Not to say that thats not good exercise, or an unrealistic situation for the chameleon, but that it jusst wont serve the same purpose.

The main thing is that youve decided on using real plants. That is the only way to do it, and far too many people dont.

You should listen to everyones input, and pick the plants you think will work best for your situation. :)

The main thing is that youve decided on using real plants. That is the only way to do it, and far too many people dont.

THIS

Depending on the pot sizes you can probably fit 6 plants in there actually. My cages usually consist of a hibiscus, a ficus and a schefflera.

like snake said each one has its pros and cons.

hibiscus require a lot of light, so if you dont have at least 2 florescent tubes and a basking bulb its going to end up looking like a twig with like 5 leaves on it. Unless its in a very well lit room.

as snake said ficus are often either too big or too small. the small ones tend be rather spindly so depending on what species/how heavy your cham is that might not be a great option as a stand alone unless you have plenty of fake vines, or other perches for them to use.

schefflera do very well in low light ive never personally had any issues with overwatering but i may have just luckily placed them in areas of the cage that get less mist. they also have some thick sturdy limbs.

i use spider plants as ground cover. you can do the same with pothos, or both.

i used to use pothos they are a good option. what i would do is stand a tank in on its side and place the pothos on top, rather than bothering with rigging up a stable hanger.

if you get a big spiderplants they will send off shoots and baby plants will develop.roots and all. once they get to a decent size pluck them off leave them in cups with a bit of water to develop roots for a week or so on a windowsill then you can plant them in the pots of the larger plants (trees) just a suggestion :p

essentially its up to you and how you want to lay out the cage, and what you think will look best. have fun with it.

AND remember. wash off your plants before you put them in the cage.

Snake- Any 65k lights you recommend? What type of soil (product) do you use? Your post was very helpful and informative btw.

Back
Top Bottom