Question about lighting

jeanette

I am converting a china cabinet into a large enclosure for my cham. I have one hood for the uva/uvb light; however, the enclosure is very long and the hood will not light the entire thing. I have cut out and screened in two areas on either side of the roof for the basking lights, as you can see in the picture. I have a few options for what to do with the hood. I can mount the hood inside the cage in the middle, set it on top of the cage over the screen on one side or the other, or buy a second hood and put one on both sides. What should I do? Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN3259.jpg
    DSCN3259.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 113
Yeah both sides.... And maybe even the middle. Not sure of what kind of hood ur using. Can you fit in a 4ft double florecent shop light and still have room for a basking light?

I'd be inclined to use two UVb tubes across the top (I think the picture shows an uneven top, such that a single long tube wouldn't lay flat and thus couldn't be used instead of two smaller ones?)
I cant tell if you left the glass in or converted to screen. If all or most of the sides are still solid, you might be able to use only one basking bulb.

Lighting

Yes the top is curved, so I cannot put in a long lamp. The top is screened in; there is no glass. I have decided to go with two lamps. On one side, could I use a dual bulb hood with compact fluorescent bulb and a reptile bulb? Is there any difference between doing that and having the long fluorescent bulb with a separate basking light? Thanks guys!

It is no recommended by most lighting companies to light three quarters of the cage with a uv light. This allows a photogradient to be achieved with the uv being mounted as far into the basking area as possible and then into the other end. This allows a photogradients not only vertically but horizontally for chameleons.

I would go with the Arcdaia T8 12% bulbs if you can or a 10.0 reptisun.

I'm sorry. I do not understand your post. The UV lights would be on both sides with basking lights in the same place. I have been warned against using 10.0 bulbs, so I am nervous about doing that.

Back
Top Bottom