Question about Jello as a hydration for Crickets???

Just a note

Collagen is one of the chief ingredients of gelatin. Collagen is a scleroprotein found in the bone, cartilage and tendons of animals. When the bones or tissues of animals are boiled, collagen yields gelatin.

just my $0.02

it would be a great idea if there was nutrition to it.

look, i'm going to say this the nice and real way.

the only way to good and healthy gutload, is to NOT take shortcuts, and take your time while making it. If you spent close to an hour making a gutload from scratch, you can food blend it, and make ice cubes to store for another time.

variety is key, and dedication crucial.

I personally believe the best and easiest way to hydrate and feed crickets is with fresh vegetables.
Plain geletain would be better than flavoured jello (sugar free just adds different chemicals).

Hi there, just a question for you...is there a reason you don't want to use the water crystals? They are super super cheap if you get them at say..lowes or walmart and honestly I think it'd be even cheaper than getting jello. Are you looking for a health benefit in the jello? You could add calcium to the crystals I suppose but what I do is just dust the cricket's food with a little calcium. But I also dust the crickets too so I'm not sure if feeding it to them is absolutely necessary yet I still do it :)

I was not sure where to get them super cheap. I was trying to think outside the box. I saw the sugar free jello on sale for $.59 so I figured I would post a question to get some impressions about it. I will go and look at walmart and lowes to see if I can get the water crystals instead. Thank you for the suggestions.

I personally believe the best and easiest way to hydrate and feed crickets is with fresh vegetables.
Plain geletain would be better than flavoured jello (sugar free just adds different chemicals).

i know that you are the nutrution rep here sandra, and all of your hardwork i commend. but for some people who are not consistant, or with busy scheduales, isnt fresh fruits and veggies thrown in much more work to offer viarety, and as well, tend to rott and mold faster?

it would be a great idea if there was nutrition to it.

look, i'm going to say this the nice and real way.

the only way to good and healthy gutload, is to NOT take shortcuts, and take your time while making it. If you spent close to an hour making a gutload from scratch, you can food blend it, and make ice cubes to store for another time.

variety is key, and dedication crucial.

That was my thinking and ultimatley I was hoping to add a nutritional value to it and play around with the ingrediants. However after reading a lot of the posts I think getting water crystals and adding to that would be a better bet. My problem is that I have not been able to find the water crystals.

ps you are more than welcome to tell me that my idea is a dumb one and to move on. I appreciate constructive critisism. ;)

Good point. My thinking was to try and incorporate the vegis and things like that to boost its nutritional value.

I have never used jello. I have thought about it but decided it would melt. I have used homemade jam. I live on a farm and we make all of our jam. If I buy it I buy off the Amish. I have had some left in a jar and gave it to crickets. They got hydration and strawberries from it. But that was only because I was in a pinch and needed something to keep my 1000 crickets from eatting each other til morning.

That's a good idea too.

The jello would melt and then you would have a bunch of drowned crickets in a stickey goo. Then that would attract ants!

Why not use chopped greens and veggies. Orange slices would be ok for a water source too.

I was not sure if the Jello would melt. Never thought of that point. Ants on the other hand is something that I dont want to deal with at all.

People tend to overlook the fact that Jell-O melts when not refrigerated- it won't stay in the gelatin state like the water cryatals do.

You are right that is the one thing I did not think about. I just assumed it would stay and not melt. Typical guy I guess.

After reading through everything. I think the idea of Jello is not going to be the way to go. I appreciate everyone's feedback so much! I think the water crystal method is going to prove to be cheaper and better. I may play with the idea of trying to incorporate some extras into the water crystals and see if that works. If I find something I will update this thread.

Thank you for the input peeps!

i know that you are the nutrution rep here sandra, and all of your hardwork i commend. but for some people who are not consistant, or with busy scheduales, isnt fresh fruits and veggies thrown in much more work to offer viarety, and as well, tend to rott and mold faster?

Well yes, if you are not dedicated enough to change out the feeder food on a regular basis, you have to be selective about what you offer. Or put in only as much as will be eaten, so nothing is left to spoil. But even for lazy or busy people, some vegetables last quite a while - carrots and yam ,for example, and Dandelion just slowly dries out without going moldy.

Well yes, if you are not dedicated enough to change out the feeder food on a regular basis, you have to be selective about what you offer. Or put in only as much as will be eaten, so nothing is left to spoil. But even for lazy or busy people, some vegetables last quite a while - carrots and yam ,for example, and Dandelion just slowly dries out without going moldy.

I am more than dedicated to this which is why I am trying to think of effecient ways to gutload. I dont have a problem with changing gutloads out daily at all. Just trying to think of a way that will change up gutloads and not rot as fast. :)

Just noting that whether or not gelatin "melts" at room temperature is determined by the amount of water used (just like with the water crystals, use too much water and they "goo" out and drown your crickets). Remember those Jello Wrigglers that kids could play with in their hands? That happens by cutting the water in half.

Water crystals are cheaper but if it was all I could find I'd feel fine with using unflavored gelatin until I could get my hands on the good stuff.

I am more than dedicated to this which is why I am trying to think of effecient ways to gutload. I dont have a problem with changing gutloads out daily at all. Just trying to think of a way that will change up gutloads and not rot as fast. :)

Sorry, was NOT my intent to imply you were not dedicated.
You clearly are, that's why you are asking good questions. And why you are on this forum!

Sandra, I don't know, I've still seen a few very undedicated and ignorant people on this forum. Noting still that 98% are dedicated and awesome.

you are absolutely correct, which is why i love using this to help gutload and keep superworms hydrated. I guess the only thing that worries me, is that people will only use those "mold free" type ingredients, and not offer a variety elsewhere. but you are right sandra, im not arguing at all with that :)

also, some geletins and crystals HAVE been KNOWN to cause sever impactions. the gelatine crystals can sometimes harden in the insect, thus being transfered to your animal. i cannot find the origional source to back this up, unfortunately, but i am certain i have seen that on more than a couple occaissions. im not here to scare, just here to help encourage common sense, to be better safe than sorry. if water crystals were the case, im sure we would all just be using fluker's cricket quencher, but again no nutrition.

y
also, some geletins and crystals HAVE been KNOWN to cause sever impactions. the gelatine crystals can sometimes harden in the insect, thus being transfered to your animal.

I read about this too: dehydrated crystal stuck to the outside of a bug, expanded inside the chameleon intestine with bad results
not personal experience, but I've a vague memory that the person who posted about it was someone who was worth listening to

I read about this too: dehydrated crystal stuck to the outside of a bug, expanded inside the chameleon intestine with bad results
not personal experience, but I've a vague memory that the person who posted about it was someone who was worth listening to

just be careful guys, if you are looking for added hydration i would stay away from all water crystals to stay on the safe side. and do as sandra said, use pieces of carrot, yam, dandelion leaves, or make a gutload mixture and freeze cubes.

ive never had a problem with Flucker's Cricket quencher, but again, no nutrition. so what's the point?

Sandra thanks for backing me up, though we still dont have full proof, you are trustworthy enough to help back the claim up. thank you.

Back
Top Bottom