Question about Jello as a hydration for Crickets???

I seen a video on You Tube...they were using sugar free jello mixed with the water crystals!! Just cant find the video to give ya the link! Sorry!!

Interesting. I will try to find it. I am thinking about putting some calcium into the Jello mix and using the sugar free orange kind.

Maybe this is something that I will test with a few crix and see how they take to it.

I know this is a far fetched idea but I am serious and would love to hear if someone has tried it.

I will try as well!! I am waiting for my crickets to hatch! I just had about 10 females laying eggs for me!! So we'll see!!! LOL

why not use water crystals?

Hi there, just a question for you...is there a reason you don't want to use the water crystals? They are super super cheap if you get them at say..lowes or walmart and honestly I think it'd be even cheaper than getting jello. Are you looking for a health benefit in the jello? You could add calcium to the crystals I suppose but what I do is just dust the cricket's food with a little calcium. But I also dust the crickets too so I'm not sure if feeding it to them is absolutely necessary yet I still do it :)

Doesn't make much sense to do it to me. Jello has next to no nutritional value for the crickets and the water crystals already do the job.

The jello would melt and then you would have a bunch of drowned crickets in a stickey goo. Then that would attract ants!

Why not use chopped greens and veggies. Orange slices would be ok for a water source too.

I would not use anything that come out of a box that is full of chemicals.I prefer to keep things simple tonight the bugs got a end off a mellon last night i gave them a chunk of. oranges, A Jucy piece of fruit along with dry feed& and fresh veggies has worked great for me.

I've been trying to figure out a reason this is a bad idea...but really, it's not that bad.

I would say that unflavored Gelatin would be a better option than JELLO because, as noted, there are lots of other things in JELLO. If you are really intent on using Jello, I would say go with the full on sugar jello because at least that's calories. Of course, it's also an invitation to ants to come visit and once they get there, they'll see all those meaty crickets and pretty much ruin you life for a bit...

Unflavored gelatin, on the other hand, is pretty close to the "water crystals". It is true that it's much, much cheaper to buy it in bulk but in a pinch, if you needed water crystals, you could go to the grocery store and find unflavored gelatin on the shelf.

It's always good to have a back up.

(note that this is for hydration only, you still need to feed the crickets)

People tend to overlook the fact that Jell-O melts when not refrigerated- it won't stay in the gelatin state like the water cryatals do.

The jello would melt and then you would have a bunch of drowned crickets in a stickey goo. Then that would attract ants!

Why not use chopped greens and veggies. Orange slices would be ok for a water source too.

MAYBE SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO TRY DIFFERENT STUFF GEEESSSHH!!!!!!!U GUYS ACT LIKE YOU DONT TRY ANYTHING THE GUY JUST WANTS TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS TRIED IT:mad::mad::(:(:(:):):):D:D:D

I have never used jello. I have thought about it but decided it would melt. I have used homemade jam. I live on a farm and we make all of our jam. If I buy it I buy off the Amish. I have had some left in a jar and gave it to crickets. They got hydration and strawberries from it. But that was only because I was in a pinch and needed something to keep my 1000 crickets from eatting each other til morning.

MAYBE SOME PEOPLE LIKE TO TRY DIFFERENT STUFF GEEESSSHH!!!!!!!U GUYS ACT LIKE YOU DONT TRY ANYTHING THE GUY JUST WANTS TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS TRIED IT:mad::mad::(:(:(:):):):D:D:D

You need to calm down, I'm taking your large font is you trying to type yell. There is NOTHING in my post that warrents that.

I actually talk to the op as a matter of fact, we actually live close to each other.

You know what they say, when you ASSume :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom