question about gutloading

suzi

Avid Member
I have recently added rabbit pellets (alfalpha based) along with fruit veggies and commercial gutload, to feed my crickets, because I heard it was good for the cham. Then recently read that high protein cat and dog food is not a good thing to do. Any expertise in this area? should I continue or not so much??????? thanks for any input

If you look up sandrachameleon and read her blogs, she has good stuff on dry gutload, and basically for wet gutload, greens like kale, collards, turnip and mustard greens, and veggies like carrots, butternut squash, yam, sweet potato, apple, orange, etc. are good to use. Do a search, you'll find lots of stuff. No cat/dog food, way too much protein for the cham. Since you already have the commercial gutload you can use it but I wouldnt continue to buy it as these gutload items will be enough. I don't know about the pellets though.

Another reason not to use cat and dog food is that they both contain D3 and the cat food also contains prEformed vitamin A. I don't know what's in rabbit pellets (other than there might not be any vitamin C in it).

thanks so much, I'll check out that sight, and do more research on the pellet ingredients

I use kale, collards, sweet potato, prickly pear, butternut squash, plain oatmeal, spirulina, bee pollen & sometimes egg yolk.

Another reason not to use cat and dog food is that they both contain D3 and the cat food also contains prEformed vitamin A. I don't know what's in rabbit pellets (other than there might not be any vitamin C in it).

There's generally no vitamin C in rabbit pellets, but there is in guinea pig pellets.

Alfalfa is great. However, rabbit pellets almost always contain pre-formed vitamin A and D3, things you dont want to provide too much of. Better to buy pure alfalfa pellets (or powder or any other form), IMHO, to use as part of the gutload.

Last edited:
Alfalfa is great. However, rabbit pellets almost always contain pre-formed vitamin A and D3, things you dont want to provide too much of. Better to buy pure alfalfa pellets (or powder or any other form), IMHO, to use as part of the gutload.

What about like alfalfa hay, or those hay cubes they sell for small animal pets? Would either of those be beneficial at all?

Back
Top Bottom